• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta lands on M in the ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Must have been some regional pilots at the controls. We all know the Ones Who Wear Double Breasted Jackets could NEVER do anything like this.

Must have been some regional pilots at the controls. We all know the Ones Who Wear Double Breasted Jackets could NEVER do anything like this.

The "best of the best" never makes mistakes....Only inexperienced "commuter" pilots do things like this...

The "best of the best" never makes mistakes....Only inexperienced "commuter" pilots do things like this...

My God, you really have a complex.

The problem is they were probably HIRED from a regional which has sub-standard training and of the few unchoosen ones who managed to make it under the radar on the the Delta seniority list... when will they learn NOT to hire these 4000 hour wonders!?!?

</sarcasm>

Careful where you go throwing your rocks everybody.

Yeah yeah, it could happen to any of us, blah blah blah. I keep hearing, "Wait for the full story before you judge". Ok, well what is it? They landed on a taxiway!!! You know, that pavement that's next to the runway but not quite as wide, and with the different colored lights, and other airplanes taxi on? That's going to have to be one helluva story to justify that one.

That's going to have to be one helluva story to justify that one.
They had declared a medical emergency, hence the request/clearance to land on the runway closer to the terminal. The captain is authorized to deviate from any rule to the extent required to meet an emergency. Since apparently the FAA (ATC) agreed that moving over a few feet was in the best interests of saving precious seconds, I contend that they would also agree that moving over a few more feet would save even more seconds, and therefore the PIC is authorized to do so. So there you go. :D

The FAA said:
The FAA adds that to their knowledge, no aircraft has ever landed on a Hartsfield taxiway before.
I guess that ASA incident several years ago was "expunged from their records."

Latest resources

Back