Delta lands on M in the ATL

Tarzan

Total Time
Must have been some regional pilots at the controls. We all know the Ones Who Wear Double Breasted Jackets could NEVER do anything like this.

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
Total Time
14000+
Must have been some regional pilots at the controls. We all know the Ones Who Wear Double Breasted Jackets could NEVER do anything like this.
The "best of the best" never makes mistakes....Only inexperienced "commuter" pilots do things like this...

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Total Time
enough
The "best of the best" never makes mistakes....Only inexperienced "commuter" pilots do things like this...
My God, you really have a complex.

spudskier

Total Time
<enuf
The problem is they were probably HIRED from a regional which has sub-standard training and of the few unchoosen ones who managed to make it under the radar on the the Delta seniority list... when will they learn NOT to hire these 4000 hour wonders!?!?

</sarcasm>

G2T

Total Time
>8000
Careful where you go throwing your rocks everybody.
Yeah yeah, it could happen to any of us, blah blah blah. I keep hearing, "Wait for the full story before you judge". Ok, well what is it? They landed on a taxiway!!! You know, that pavement that's next to the runway but not quite as wide, and with the different colored lights, and other airplanes taxi on? That's going to have to be one helluva story to justify that one.

JustaNumber

Total Time
That's going to have to be one helluva story to justify that one.
They had declared a medical emergency, hence the request/clearance to land on the runway closer to the terminal. The captain is authorized to deviate from any rule to the extent required to meet an emergency. Since apparently the FAA (ATC) agreed that moving over a few feet was in the best interests of saving precious seconds, I contend that they would also agree that moving over a few more feet would save even more seconds, and therefore the PIC is authorized to do so. So there you go. :D

JustaNumber

Total Time
The FAA said:
The FAA adds that to their knowledge, no aircraft has ever landed on a Hartsfield taxiway before.
I guess that ASA incident several years ago was "expunged from their records."

LazyLightnin'

Banned
Total Time
They had declared a medical emergency, hence the request/clearance to land on the runway closer to the terminal. The captain is authorized to deviate from any rule to the extent required to meet an emergency. Since apparently the FAA (ATC) agreed that moving over a few feet was in the best interests of saving precious seconds, I contend that they would also agree that moving over a few more feet would save even more seconds, and therefore the PIC is authorized to do so. So there you go. :D

He should have just landed in the hospital parking lot then.

SPDBRD747400

World's Favourite Airline
Total Time
mucho
Wonder if anyone has seen the tires marks on M yet??? I'm sure DL wants the city to go out there today and pressure wash them away ASAP. Speaking of ASAP does DL have this program?

samballs

Total Time
What the hell do you rush for in a medical emergency. I would think that the other passengers are hoping to live also. Just because someone is dying doesn't mean do everything wrong.

samballs

Total Time
Wonder if anyone has seen the tires marks on M yet??? I'm sure DL wants the city to go out there today and pressure wash them away ASAP. Speaking of ASAP does DL have this program?

These guys better hope so, I was under the impression they got rid of it 2 1/2 yrs ago, because mang was using the info also or they were conducting parrallel investigations.

S

sunlitpath

No excuses. They were relieved of duty, pending investigation. It was a "MAJOR" error; plain and simple.

S

sunlitpath

In their defense, they may have been looking in the mirror during the landing phase...

PeanuckleCRJ

Hurrrrrrrr
Total Time
mucho
Like a bunch of kids jumping up and down pointing "HE DID IT TOO! I'M TELLING!!!"