• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta JFK announcements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For you Lowecur----could a slowdown in the US economy hurt us?

By Chris Reiter
NEW YORK, Sept 26 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc (DAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research) could further shift planes to fly international routes from domestic ones if the U.S. economic slowdown impacts travel spending, the No. 3 U.S. airline's president said on Wednesday.
"We're obviously sensitive to what we're seeing in the U.S. economy," Delta President and Chief Financial Officer Ed Bastian told Reuters on the sidelines of a company briefing. "If there's any area of caution we're taking, it's on our U.S. capacity."
By next summer, Delta plans to have 40 percent of its planes, which the industry refers to as capacity, flying international routes -- about double the rate three years earlier when the company was heading toward bankruptcy.
After exiting Chapter 11 at the end of April, Delta has lower costs than many of its competitors, and Bastian said the company's growing international network positions it well for a slowing U.S. economy.
"We think we're actually moving in the direction that the global economic indicators suggest," he said.
Although oil prices have risen well above the $65 a barrel the company expected at the time it emerged from bankruptcy, Bastian said Delta has been able to adjust.
"We've been able to get the right size capacity to meet demand. It's enabled our ability to recover the costs of those higher fuel prices," he said.
But rising oil prices are still a concern. "The concern I have on fuel is not fuel itself, but whether it would spark a slowdown in the general U.S. economy," Bastian said. "But, at this point, we haven't seen that."

Indeed, Delta so far hasn't seen a big impact on travel demand from the U.S. housing slowdown and tighter credit markets.

"The demand and revenue environment these days is very, very strong," Bastian said. "We haven't seen any significant impact" of a slowing economy on bookings.

Bye Bye--General Lee

A. it IS just a paycheck....

B. You guys took more Eastern people...an awful lot of them had perfect attendance....but I'll let that horse stay dead.

You're right, we all benefitted on one another's turmoil...and that sucks!!

C. Delta never went to the government to help open airports (DCA comes to mind)....or cry anti-trust...except when Wichita tossed bags of cash in your lap in the guise of subsidies just for the "privilege" of an Airtran route and cheap ticket source.

I guess the government (Federal Courts) didn't help you guys during your bankruptcy? I remember the Judge basically giving a rubber stamp on extensions and re-negotiating debt with your creditors (pennies on the dollar) all at the same time gutting your contract while you guys sat and watched.

Hmmmmm from last summer to this summer Delta grew at JFK by %117. It just happened right. More than double the traffic in a year was planned and sustainable. While other airlines grew modestly, no one approaches that growth rate at JFK.

I love how a bunch of guys in a boardroom in ATL can make decisions that affect literally millions of people over the course of months trying to travel.

It is too bad Delta scaling back. I loved coming to JFK and looking at the Delta parking lot on 22R, and the entire SE corner of JFK. With that kind of planning and execution, what does JB have to worry about.

I guess the government (Federal Courts) didn't help you guys during your bankruptcy? I remember the Judge basically giving a rubber stamp on extensions and re-negotiating debt with your creditors (pennies on the dollar) all at the same time gutting your contract while you guys sat and watched.

Sure they helped, and if you go in there they may help you too. We got our debt down from $20 billion to $7.5 billion (United still has over $20 billion in debt), and many leases were cut for the MD88 from $280,000 a month to $80,000. We actually didn't lose hardly any work rules in our contract, just a pay cut, which was somewhat repaid with a claim sale. Most Captains got over $400,000, with FOs getting up to $300,000. Our bottom furloughed guy that never even sat in an actual cockpit (furloughed in training) got over $200,000. Even the retired guys got most of their retirement, since the PBGC was made "whole" by their own piece of the claim sale. We also got a DC plan in our own names now, that will stay with us regardless of what Delta does. That is better than a "promise" pension.

Get your facts straight.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hmmmmm from last summer to this summer Delta grew at JFK by %117. It just happened right. More than double the traffic in a year was planned and sustainable. While other airlines grew modestly, no one approaches that growth rate at JFK.

I love how a bunch of guys in a boardroom in ATL can make decisions that affect literally millions of people over the course of months trying to travel.

It is too bad Delta scaling back. I loved coming to JFK and looking at the Delta parking lot on 22R, and the entire SE corner of JFK. With that kind of planning and execution, what does JB have to worry about.

Hmmm. We had flights at JFK long before Neeleman even thought about a Jetblue. We had modest feed, but now we have a lot of feed to feed our growing European and South American flights from JFK. Can we not try to feed them? How long have we been doing the transatlantic stuff? ASA has been feeding Delta at JFK since 1997---and that was before Jetblue.

And, I don't think we are scaling back as much, just creating a third bank of INTL flights to help ease some congestion at peak hours. I think 8 new transatlantic flights and 7 new Latin American flights really isn't scaling back. Do you? We may be getting rid of some Dash 8s and some 50 seaters, but you will see more 76 seaters in there doing the same thing. The slower props will go, that is for sure.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sure they helped, and if you go in there they may help you too. We got our debt down from $20 billion to $7.5 billion (United still has over $20 billion in debt), and many leases were cut for the MD88 from $280,000 a month to $80,000. We actually didn't lose hardly any work rules in our contract, just a pay cut, which was somewhat repaid with a claim sale. Most Captains got over $400,000, with FOs getting up to $300,000. Our bottom furloughed guy that never even sat in an actual cockpit (furloughed in training) got over $200,000. Even the retired guys got most of their retirement, since the PBGC was made "whole" by their own piece of the claim sale. We also got a DC plan in our own names now, that will stay with us regardless of what Delta does. That is better than a "promise" pension.

Get your facts straight.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So I can get my facts straight, was the payout in cash or stock?

So I can get my facts straight, was the payout in cash or stock?

We had the choice, but ALPA advised us to take it in cash. Most did, and with the $280,000 I got, $88,000 was used to fill up my 2006 and 2007 401K allottments (the most we could hide from the tax man), and the rest was taxed. So, I got over $120,000 in cash and my 401K filled for the last two years. We also got a pension payout that comes this upcoming Jan 1st. $44,000 of that will fill the 2008 401K allottment. Not everyone got that much, with some junior guys getting $25,000 (for their 401K) and some senior Captains getting $250,000. (remember, our bottom furlough got $200,000 for not even being in a DL cockpit, so the pension payout was leaned more toward the senior guys, whereas the stock claim was leaned towards the junior guys).

Not bad.

Bye Bye--General Lee

We had the choice, but ALPA advised us to take it in cash. Most did, and with the $280,000 I got, $88,000 was used to fill up my 2006 and 2007 401K allottments (the most we could hide from the tax man), and the rest was taxed. So, I got over $120,000 in cash and my 401K filled for the last two years. We also got a pension payout that comes this upcoming Jan 1st. $44,000 of that will fill the 2008 401K allottment. Not everyone got that much, with some junior guys getting $25,000 (for their 401K) and some senior Captains getting $250,000. (remember, our bottom furlough got $200,000 for not even being in a DL cockpit, so the pension payout was leaned more toward the senior guys, whereas the stock claim was leaned towards the junior guys).

Not bad.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Very nice

You said Delta was going to loose the gates in LA too, didn't you? Can't blame me for hoping. You were wrong. Yes, I was. Delta has plenty of high paid lawyers and lobbyists to help things go our way. Yes, but even your friend in MN is not going to see things your way if Congress has to make a decision. Charging a premium during peak times is dumb and will never work. The only solution is seat limitations per gate. Can't wait to see that at LGA.

CAL said they are going to send all those 145's from EWR to CLE.......and substitute with what????...old 737s and 738's? This I gotta see.

As far as props and 50 seaters leaving JFK, that may be true, but 76 seat RJs will fill in. That would be wonderful, along with a few MDs. Also, it will have to be equitable, and that means Jetblue will also have to take a hit. Sorry, but this ain't LA.....this town belongs to BigBlue. With new terminals to pay for, both B6 and AA will receive any benefit of the doubt on schedule cutbacks. Although, AA will have to use more MDs and send most of those silly 145's elsewhere. Of course, DL could offer to build new digs and order a new fleet. Should get their debt back in the $20B range. Maybe they will move the other flights to their new base in.......in.......STL? I hope they get a midpoint mini at some pt in the next 6 months. Gotta connect the coasts for smaller cities that cannot support direct flts on a 320.

:pimp:​

Bye Bye--General Lee

That's great that you have been to Malaga. I have been to Barcelona and Madrid, so I guess I can't even FATHOM what you know.....? Hey, our route planning guru's at Delta (Heauenstein and Cortelu---actually really smart people) know what they are doing, and I don't even know if it runs full year. The good thing is that we are getting 15 new 757ERs from AA that allow us to downgage a flight in a slower season. We haven't been able to do that before, since we only had 767ERs and bigger before. Now we can serve a city year round IF WE WANT TO, without taking a huge hit like we were before in the Winter season. GOOD FOR US, right?

Next comes Edinburgh. Well, we are cutting the nonstop 767ER from ATL for the Winter, and starting the JFK flight next Spring I believe. Is that good enough for you? How does CAL fly to Belfast, Bristol, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Shannon, Dublin, Manchester, and Gatwick all year round (in the Summer they often double the frequency)????? They seem to be doing well. Also, with feed from other cities, you don't just need local NYC traffic to feed one route. Do we have feed in JFK? Ummm, yes we do. You need to come off your "expert" talk and realize we have people paid to do your thinking. I wouldn't doubt that in the slow season we would trade SOME frequency for sunny skies down south. We are looking at Salvador de bahia in Brazil, and maybe a few more warmer cities. I bet they will do well in our Winter if we do it. Leave it to the experts please.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Leave it to the experts?

That's exactly what I am doing.

What does it tell you when the Spanish flag carrier, Ibera doesn't fly Malaga-JFK

Or when the UK flag carrier doesn't even fly Edinburgh-JFK (they tried it with a 757 and failed).

May I suggest that the brain trusts at DAL learn something from experts, The fleet planning experts at their respective nations carrier seem to feel differently, then DAL's.

I am going with the home team on this one.

Latest resources

Back