Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Leave it to the experts?

That's exactly what I am doing.

What does it tell you when the Spanish flag carrier, Ibera doesn't fly Malaga-JFK

Or when the UK flag carrier doesn't even fly Edinburgh-JFK (they tried it with a 757 and failed).

May I suggest that the brain trusts at DAL learn something from experts, The fleet planning experts at their respective nations carrier seem to feel differently, then DAL's.

I am going with the home team on this one.

Just because a flag carrier does not operate a route does not mean the route is doomed to failure. BA operates LHR-BWI without competition... Aer Lingus DUB-BOS without competition... Virgin and BA operate to MCO without American competition... perhaps just like in the US not every flag carrier services every national airport. Heck... again BA is a great example... outside of London and Manchester there are very few international BA routes from the UK, yet Continental seems to service every city in the UK that has customes service. This might be a profitable route... might not... but sometimes you find your more profitable routes by taking a gamble like this. Word is the BDL-AMS service on Northwest is doing decent... who'da thunk it.

Just because a flag carrier does not operate a route does not mean the route is doomed to failure. BA operates LHR-BWI without competition... Aer Lingus DUB-BOS without competition... Virgin and BA operate to MCO without American competition... perhaps just like in the US not every flag carrier services every national airport. Heck... again BA is a great example... outside of London and Manchester there are very few international BA routes from the UK, yet Continental seems to service every city in the UK that has customes service. This might be a profitable route... might not... but sometimes you find your more profitable routes by taking a gamble like this. Word is the BDL-AMS service on Northwest is doing decent... who'da thunk it.

Your not comparing apples to apples:
Dublin is the capital of Ireland and Boston has the largest Irish population of any large US city. It only makes sense for the nations flag carrier to fly from their capital to their largest US client base.

BWI-London, is only because BA can't fly any more IAD-LHR routes (they need to be awarded). UAL already flies IAD-LHR direct and AA choses to use their awarded slots in other places like MIA.

MCO, please with Disney it's a no brainier for UK airlines to fly direct to MCO. But lets play fair. Neither Virgin or BA flies from Heathrow to MCO (left that part out on purpose?) AA has a hub in MIA, it makes no sense for them to fly MCO-Gatwick, instead, they fly A300 out of MCO to Pôrto Rico

HFD is located perfectly between Boston 5+ million people and NYC area is 18+ million people, plus HFD, Providence, Albany, all of Vermont, yada yada. That's a lot of people to pull from.

FYI. Malaga has a population of 550,000 and Edinburgh had even less at 450,000. Not exactly thriving cities like the ones that you mentioned.

Last edited:
The guys that we have doing our fleet planning are absolute geniouses. They are the experts and are one of the main reasons why DL has turned around the way it has.

But what do I know, I'm just a caveman.

Lowecur,

CAL will be replacing the RJs with Colgan Dash 8-400s. They needed the extra gate space for the longer props, and sent the RJs to CLE.

And, thanks for admitting that you were wrong about LA. That is a big step for you.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Leave it to the experts?

What does it tell you when the Spanish flag carrier, Ibera doesn't fly Malaga-JFK

Or when the UK flag carrier doesn't even fly Edinburgh-JFK (they tried it with a 757 and failed).

May I suggest that the brain trusts at DAL learn something from experts, The fleet planning experts at their respective nations carrier seem to feel differently, then DAL's.

I never said the flights were daily, and I don't know what the frequency is for the Winter season. But, we now have two sizes for transatlantic travel from JFK--767ERs and 757ERs, so we can use both for different routes throughout the year, and change sizes for the Winter if needed. And, I think our DL guys in charge of route planning will do a great job. They are very sharp.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Leave it to the experts?

The main arguement I see against your rant is that DAL has the ability to connect many many more pax for these flights. Where as the foreign carriers you mention don´t have as varied a route structure here in the states or in their home country for that matter.
Just because the city pairs might not make sense think about all the connection possibilities......RIC-JFK-Edinburgh or ATL-JFK-Malaga just to name a couple!

Lowecur,

CAL will be replacing the RJs with Colgan Dash 8-400s. They needed the extra gate space for the longer props, and sent the RJs to CLE. Huh? So 15 Q400's are going to replace all the RJs at EWR?:laugh: Hope they all pass the FAA inspections. More smoke and mirrors from the mgt at CAL.

And, thanks for admitting that you were wrong about LA. That is a big step for you. I know, I almost jumped out the window in my 1 story house.;)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Lowecur,

No, no, not all of the RJs are leaving EWR. CAL announced a large expansion at CLE, with a list of more service (almost all RJ service) to cities in the upper midwest etc. Those new flights will be done with some RJs moved from EWR. The Colgan Dash 8s will take their place in EWR. Clear as mud.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Does this announcement change Delta's projected hiring for 2008 (700 pilots) or was it included in planning?

I think the company will be fairly conservative in their hiring estimates. They have always understated what they need and have been short-staffed for years. As long as the airplane deliveries continue (an no Force Majeur events), we'll be hiring for the next few years at least.

Latest resources

Back