Delta JFK announcements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let's see Kharma..

I want to understand you correctly. Delta shifts aircraft that they already have purchased, bought and flown on the property to a different airport, so they can compete, and then see the problems the shifting placed on the system. Delta then goes from 9 banks to 11 and you see fault in that???

So While Delta is trying to fix the problem, you guys punch in a bunch of flights in the "slow period", in turn, negating the fix. And that is fair?? Or is it Airtran's right to create more gridlock?? It is cutthroat out there and every bit helps, but your moves were undermining the fixes Delta was putting into place to help solve the problem, all the while
Airtran is buying up 737's like drunken sailors and blindly follow Captain Forklift Joe as he rapes and tries to plunder all of the smaller carriers around him........with nowhere to put the jets on order. Great Plan......

Kharma, chill out......I'm really really sorry that you were at ASA and Delta didn't hire you, but being springloaded to jump on every little thing Delta does as a negative wastes both your time and mine.

Good luck with the contract, get what's owed to you!!
Nice try, but you still can't ignore the fact that you do 70% of the flying out of Atlanta in an effort to try to keep market share. If the city imposed any slot restrictions you guys would get screwed. Look, you guys should stick to international flying and hope that JetBlue or some other LCC doesn't jump in and do the flights much cheaper.

As for getting hired at Delta while I was at ASA. You guys were in bankruptcy with thousands of pilots on furlough facing possible liquidation so unfortunately the pilot recruitment office was closed when I was desperately trying to leave ASA. But thanks for the sympathy, I will be sure and ask a early retired former Delta pilot on the crew bus for a recommendation.

p.s. do you still have your United Plus 1 sticker on your flight bag?

Last edited:
Nice try, but you still can't ignore the fact that you do 70% of the flying out of Atlanta in an effort to try to keep market share. If the city imposed any slot restrictions you guys would get screwed. Look, you guys should stick to international flying and hope that JetBlue or some other LCC doesn't jump in and do the flights much cheaper.

As for getting hired at Delta while I was at ASA. You guys were in bankruptcy with thousands of pilots on furlough facing possible liquidation so unfortunately the pilot recruitment office was closed when I was desperately trying to leave ASA. But thanks for the sympathy, I will be sure and ask a early retired former Delta pilot on the crew bus for a recommendation.

Guys like you think the pilots at Delta were at fault for our BK (I guess you missed the fact that Leo Mullin bought two BILLION worth of stock two weeks prior to 9-11 for a stock buy back program that evaporated). We were a fixed cost back then, something they knew all about. And would it be bad to make sure we are United Plus these days? I would hope we would be.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I agree, it's not as if DAL is going to eliminate the feed supplied by the turbo props. What they are saying is the addition of all these international routes is going to increase their feed, subsequently making the turboprop obsolete.

The problem comes when DAL determines that not all of these routes are guaranteed money makers and they decide to cancel their plans. Or in the case of places like Malaga and Edinburgh (seasonal at best) these places will not support 757 flights in the off season.

Then the need for the larger feed goes away and the turbo props return.

CAL goes to Edinburgh year round from EWR, and Malaga could probably go three times a week in the Winter, which is actually a nice time of the year there. Our plan will probably evolve into a North-- South plan (more South American flying for their Summer and our Winter in the States) during our slower season, which would boost those flight departures to even later in the evening. We are looking into several cities in Brazil as we speak. You have to shift the flying around a bit to find profits.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I STILL have the United plus sticker on my bag, because it meant SETTING THE BAR HIGHER. Something you have never been in a position to do until now......so go get it, we can point fingers all day, but you are in the driver's seat, don't let us( pilots) down...I'd love to put on a "lower case a plus" sticker on my bag.

Slot restrictions?? Why?? So Airtran can use the government to compete??? Sounds like you long for the days of running to mommy, excuse me, the Clinton Administration, anytime the airlines commonly referred to as "legacy" carriers used market strength and size and hub position to compete. You guys wanted the people out of the bus terminals and on your jets, well congrats, you've done it!! But stop knocking the very same carriers that helped build many of the same terminals and airspace you now occupy. It's not my fault Delta was flying WELL before you were buying our old planes and painting cartoon jets on them. We compete (not always well, I admit) by our age, size and market share, you guys compete by knocking us on all of your crew busses with your cute "wave at us" messages painted on the side.

Keep buying jets, and when you have nowhere to fly them, be sure to blame Delta for having too many planes or whatever else you deem our fault.

Said it before, I'll say it again....good luck with the contract.

Last edited:
CAL goes to Edinburgh year round from EWR, and Malaga could probably go three times a week in the Winter, which is actually a nice time of the year there. Our plan will probably evolve into a North-- South plan (more South American flying for their Summer and our Winter in the States) during our slower season, which would boost those flight departures to even later in the evening. We are looking into several cities in Brazil as we speak. You have to shift the flying around a bit to find profits.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Have you spent any time on a beach, or been to a bull fight in Malaga. I have.

So now you are trying to tel me that the brain trusts in ATL know more then the Spanish? FYI, Iberia doesn't even do JFK direct to Malaga. The place is a ghost town off season. It's seasonal at best. In the summer time the loads will be fantastic but they will not carry the other 9 months of the year.

Edinburgh is another seasonal at best destination. I have spent weeks there at a time (family connection) and have spent summers taking corporate clients to the summer festival and the tattoo (google it). Now you are trying to tell me that the rocket scientist at DAL seem to feel that their is enough O&D to support a second direct flight to the NY area? Well then the know something that BA doesn't, because even BA doesn't fly direct (hence the reason why CAL is willing to scrape by). FYI BA had a direct flight and gave up on it.

I STILL have the United plus sticker on my bag, because it meant SETTING THE BAR HIGHER. Something you have never been in a position to do until now......so go get it, we can point fingers all day, but you are in the driver's seat, don't let us( pilots) down...I'd love to put on a "lower case a plus" sticker on my bag.

Slot restrictions?? Why?? So Airtran can use the government to compete??? Sounds like you long for the days of running to mommy, excuse me, the Clinton Administration, anytime the airlines commonly referred to as "legacy" carriers used market strength and size and hub position to compete. You guys wanted the people out of the bus terminals and on your jets, well congrats, you've done it!! But stop knocking the very same carriers that helped build many of the same terminals and airspace you now occupy. It's not my fault Delta was flying WELL before you were buying our old planes and painting cartoon jets on them. We compete (not always well, I admit) by our age, size and market share, you guys compete by knocking us on all of your crew busses with your cute "wave at us" messages painted on the side.

Keep buying jets, and when you have nowhere to fly them, be sure to blame Delta for having too many planes or whatever else you deem our fault.

Said it before, I'll say it again....good luck with the contract.

Touched a nerve huh? Easy there, I thought Delta was just a paycheck to you? Face it you guys grew (just like us) on the misfourtunes of others. Who built, and was flying out of the "World Port" in JFK, how many pilots did you take from Eastern when you took over their gates on D? As far as "running to mommy", you are the one whining about little AirTran flying when we weren't "supposed" to.

Touched a nerve huh? Easy there, I thought Delta was just a paycheck to you? Face it you guys grew (just like us) on the misfourtunes of others. Who built, and was flying out of the "World Port" in JFK, how many pilots did you take from Eastern when you took over their gates on D? As far as "running to mommy", you are the one whining about little AirTran flying when we weren't "supposed" to.

A. it IS just a paycheck....

B. You guys took more Eastern people...an awful lot of them had perfect attendance....but I'll let that horse stay dead.

You're right, we all benefitted on one another's turmoil...and that sucks!!

C. Delta never went to the government to help open airports (DCA comes to mind)....or cry anti-trust...except when Wichita tossed bags of cash in your lap in the guise of subsidies just for the "privilege" of an Airtran route and cheap ticket source.

Last edited:
JBLU will receive just about all it wants at JFK if the FAA or Congress has to step in. They were the flagship carrier willing to do business at the airport when all the others were turning up their nose.

DL & CAL don't have a leg to stand on with their scheduling. All this crap about small towns losing service is just that. Most of the RJ's/props are from midsized and large metro's that say they want frequency. It's all about protecting gates at the larger airports and knocking JBLU down a few pegs.

The legacy's have protected their hubs, and now they all want a piece of JBLU's hub. When the dust clears, all the props and many of the <50 seaters will be gone from JFK.

:pimp:

Have you spent any time on a beach, or been to a bull fight in Malaga. I have.

So now you are trying to tel me that the brain trusts in ATL know more then the Spanish? FYI, Iberia doesn't even do JFK direct to Malaga. The place is a ghost town off season. It's seasonal at best. In the summer time the loads will be fantastic but they will not carry the other 9 months of the year.

Edinburgh is another seasonal at best destination. I have spent weeks there at a time (family connection) and have spent summers taking corporate clients to the summer festival and the tattoo (google it). Now you are trying to tell me that the rocket scientist at DAL seem to feel that their is enough O&D to support a second direct flight to the NY area? Well then the know something that BA doesn't, because even BA doesn't fly direct (hence the reason why CAL is willing to scrape by). FYI BA had a direct flight and gave up on it.

That's great that you have been to Malaga. I have been to Barcelona and Madrid, so I guess I can't even FATHOM what you know.....? Hey, our route planning guru's at Delta (Heauenstein and Cortelu---actually really smart people) know what they are doing, and I don't even know if it runs full year. The good thing is that we are getting 15 new 757ERs from AA that allow us to downgage a flight in a slower season. We haven't been able to do that before, since we only had 767ERs and bigger before. Now we can serve a city year round IF WE WANT TO, without taking a huge hit like we were before in the Winter season. GOOD FOR US, right?

Next comes Edinburgh. Well, we are cutting the nonstop 767ER from ATL for the Winter, and starting the JFK flight next Spring I believe. Is that good enough for you? How does CAL fly to Belfast, Bristol, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Shannon, Dublin, Manchester, and Gatwick all year round (in the Summer they often double the frequency)????? They seem to be doing well. Also, with feed from other cities, you don't just need local NYC traffic to feed one route. Do we have feed in JFK? Ummm, yes we do. You need to come off your "expert" talk and realize we have people paid to do your thinking. I wouldn't doubt that in the slow season we would trade SOME frequency for sunny skies down south. We are looking at Salvador de bahia in Brazil, and maybe a few more warmer cities. I bet they will do well in our Winter if we do it. Leave it to the experts please.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
JBLU will receive just about all it wants at JFK if the FAA or Congress has to step in. They were the flagship carrier willing to do business at the airport when all the others were turning up their nose.

DL & CAL don't have a leg to stand on with their scheduling. All this crap about small towns losing service is just that. Most of the RJ's/props are from midsized and large metro's that say they want frequency. It's all about protecting gates at the larger airports and knocking JBLU down a few pegs.

The legacy's have protected their hubs, and now they all want a piece of JBLU's hub. When the dust clears, all the props and many of the <50 seaters will be gone from JFK.

:pimp:

You said Delta was going to loose the gates in LA too, didn't you? You were wrong. Delta has plenty of high paid lawyers and lobbyists to help things go our way.

As far as props and 50 seaters leaving JFK, that may be true, but 76 seat RJs will fill in. Also, it will have to be equitable, and that means Jetblue will also have to take a hit. Maybe they will move the other flights to their new base in.......in.......STL?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back