• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta is getting ready to hire!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. I think, as do more then 1/2 the people I know a Delta and NWA that there is a much more realistic chance of a massive furlough then there is to hire. When two huge companies like that merge there is just way too much redundency. Once all the details get sorted, and routes and maybe hubs get cut, there is simply no way to hire. I wish all of you the best, but just looking at the facts.

Facts?? Please feel free to include facts instead of unsubstantiated speculation, thanks.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. I think, as do more then 1/2 the people I know a Delta and NWA that there is a much more realistic chance of a massive furlough then there is to hire. When two huge companies like that merge there is just way too much redundency. Once all the details get sorted, and routes and maybe hubs get cut, there is simply no way to hire. I wish all of you the best, but just looking at the facts.

So if half the people you know here beleive that, then you must know two people and one of them thinks there will be furloughs.

The facts are that there was virtually no overlap in our international systems and most of the domestic overlap is being taken care of by cuts at DCI and NWA Airlink. I initially thought we would see some furloughs due to the merger, but the more I look at the facts the less I see furloughs happening at this time. I'm sure they wouldn't be paying people to get the application information updated online if they were not planning on hiring. My bet is they won't hire very many, but they will be hiring before next summer. If this isn't the case, why would they update the application site and say that they are now screening applications??

Here's a question for the Delta guys - why would Delta be offering non-flying-lines through next year if hiring was in the future?

I agree it sounds like something's cooking so why the NFL's?

How long does it take from interview to the line? Maybe 3 months? If they want these guys for next summer things need to start happening pretty quickly. If next summer isn't the window it sounds like this other stuff might be a little early, by a year.

Maybe this doesn't mean anything at all.

Last edited:
Here's a question for the Delta guys - why would Delta be offering non-flying-lines through next spring if hiring was in the future?

Delta has pulled back it's schedule pretty far. This is temporary so no furloughs. Summer 2010 is going to be an increase over 2009 by a significant percentage. Delta is adding 9 MD-90s now and a couple of 777s next year. Bringing aircraft that are in the desert represent growth and my opinion is that Delta may be getting into a position to grow as the economy improves. Hiring may be required if Delta wants to bring back more airplanes from storage. Why NFL's? Why not? during this fall with the schedule reduced, why not see if some guys want some time off? With Delta's current plan, they cannot furlough. That could change next week of course.

FWIW, two of the guys I know really really well were called today by HR and told to update their apps. Not sure what that means, but the calls were real.

Here's a question for the Delta guys - why would Delta be offering non-flying-lines through next year if hiring was in the future?

How long does it take from interview to the line? Maybe 3 months? If they want these guys for next summer things need to start happening pretty quickly. If next summer isn't the window it sounds like this other stuff might be a little early, by a year.

Maybe this doesn't mean anything at all.

BTW I know three guys that applied for NFL's and did not get them because we are now short.

NWA's trips will start to mirror DL's trips by SOC (5 day trips which are normal for domestic trips at NWA will go to 4 day trips--resulting in more pilots needed--pretty much covering the loss of the 747-200s). New rest rules by the FAA and the end of this year will allow longer transcon turns, but actually restrict other flights that might have been 2 man trips (under 8 hours) but now have to go to three man trips (allnighters to Europe from NYC to Ireland, England, etc). RA said we would "expand internally", meaning we would bring back parked planes from the desert---we have lots of 757s parked currently at VCV. We are getting 9 extra MD90s and 2 777s as "growth aircraft" for 2010. If we do have large bids (to facilitate moving aircraft from base to base), that means a lot of training, and we have 2 large facilities to handle that (Natco in MSP and our ATL training center)---and that means a lot of idle pilots awaiting IOEs or TOEs afterward. I can see us getting "tight" on pilots by Summer 2010.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back