• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta, Hire Some Minorities

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When is the last time you have flown with a minority at a major????? I work at the Tranny and have NEVER flow with an African American....Let me say that again....FREAKING NEVER.....And I'm coming up on three years.
Twice. Two trips out of about 90. And female CA's about the same, as well as other minorities (including carribbean islanders as well). All in all probably 10% of my flights were with "minorities", which is probably a fairly accurate representation of how many minorities total in the U.S. have ATP licenses.

The more who get into flying, the more will make it to the airlines, it's simple math, and the grass-roots efforts to get minorities better-educated and into the job pipeline to get the minimums for these jobs is the key.

Being a white dude looking in on what OBAP and others are saying in the minority community is: "hey we need to increase mentoring programs/scholarship programs to increase the flow of minorities into the field. We do not want to give unfair advantages to minorities.

As a white person you can go to OBAP or WIA and be treated as an equal. You can even apply for Scholarships at those places and be treated just as if you were black at OBAP or as a woman at WIA. The NAACP has given out scholarships to whites.

How do I know this you ask???? I went to OBAP and got an interview from one of their job fairs. No one blinked twice with me there.
Agree 100%. Stephanie G. asked me to help recruit for PCL at WIA one year and I went; incredibly different experience than Kit Darby's snake oil salesmanship. I was VERY impressed.

I understand OBAP is the same, exact way. A group of consummate professionals, there for the same reason, but respectful and supporting of each other at the same time. That's fantastic, and something to be proud of.

If someone is a minority and has the mins and gets hired over a person with 4 times their experience? Good for them, and tough shiznit for the guy who didn't get hired (happened to me at UAL in 2000. She was one of my CMEL students when I was instructing, we interviewed together at UAL, and I ended up jumpseating on a UAL plane where she was the F/O about 6 months later). Maybe the high-time guy didn't interview well; that's just life. Deal with it.

Like I said, the only time I get angry is when minorities get hired with less than the REQUIRED, POSTED MINIMUMS just because an airline needs to meet EEOC / AA "quotas" either public or privately-set. I believe it compromises safety and has no business in a safety-sensitive position.

We all have our beliefs; I won't trash yours if you don't trash mine, and we can all get along just fine.

Incidentally, wtf was that long "africa" post all about? I don't think the poster has been to Europe - the equality enjoyed by blacks, whites, and middle easterns there is NOTHING like the U.S. The U.S. is nowhere NEAR most of Europe in terms of equality. We still have a LONG way to go...

Umm, not really. We're monopolizing the WIA pool, but not the other minorities. Honestly, I'd be surprised if even 1% of our pilot group was black.

Your pilot group is probably the smallest employee group at your airline. Take a look at your rampers and gate agents. Take a look at the rampers overall in ATL.

Your pilot group is probably the smallest employee group at your airline. Take a look at your rampers and gate agents. Take a look at the rampers overall in ATL.

I guess this comment really makes the point of discriminatory PILOT hiring practices.

This is just another great example of how closed minded people can be...

Just throw some rampers in the flight deck and whitey on the ramp. That will appease the liberals.

Just throw some rampers in the flight deck and whitey on the ramp. That will appease the liberals.

Nice.....Did you get your special white hat cleaned this week yet?
I guess by your hiring, the HR dept. at your ariline filled the retarted quota!
Sorry to any retards that were offended by the above comment!

Latest resources

Back