Delta furloughing more?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Spooky 1

Delta has announced that they will get rid of about 43 B737 300/200's between now and September 2006. What impact will that have on their manning? Are there more furloghs to come?

Spooky 1 said:
Delta has announced that they will get rid of about 43 B737 300/200's between now and September 2006. What impact will that have on their manning? Are there more furloghs to come?

As of now there are no plans to furlough. My guess is that it depends on how the a/c lease negotiations go. I have heard that they are going extremely well. If they can get leases down to more reasonable prices, then there probably won't be any, however that being said, I know we have sent 4 MD88's to the bone yard.
I know that doesn't help, sorry!

Spooky 1 said:

The advance entitlement that closed back in Oct already accounted for the closing of the 737 categories. It left some of the 88 FO categories a bit overstaffed, but not much.

PS 737pylt I was told the 88s in the desert will likely be coming back. Those leases are not settled yet, and there is not a huge market for used MD80s in the world. I don't see those lessors failing to reach a deal.

Talked to my old sim partner last night and he told me that he flew with one of the negotiators last week on the 800. He told my buddy that they expect there will be 300 furloughs at Delta in the near future. THERE IS NOTHING OFFICIAL, but its better to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Sad thing is,there are 88 FO's that are flying greenslips now. Gottal love the unity.

Wow. The junior guys will take a 14% pay cut on their way out the door! How in the heck can the Delta guys approve this TA when they know they will be furloughed in a few months? There is no possible way that an airline can operate in bankruptcy with 43 airplane's worth of pilots on the payroll that were needed now and not needed next Sept. That is certainly not fair to the taxpayers. This TA sounds like the junior guys take a pay cut right before a furlough so that all the 50 somethings will make 140K instead of 200k.

And as another poster said, all this for a temporary TA that would then go to binding arbitration(ask the Alaska pilots how they feel about that experience) if a final settlement can not be met.

AA

Who knows what to believe now a days. The movement from parking the classic 737's and the 767-200's has already been accounted for. The crew resources guru testified under oath that we will be approx. 170-180 pilots heavy at the end of the training cycle (Oct 06). The problem is we have people quiting and a lot more people putting in for Military leave of absence. We had a 737-800 FO, a 1999 hire, that went into the Chief pilots office a couple of weeks ago to put in for a personal leave of absence. He was told that it wouldn't be approved because of the manning level of his category. In his other hand he had his resignation letter. He is now my hero.

One thing to remember in regards to furloughs is that there is a break-even time for furlough duration. In other words, if you furlough 300 hundred guys for one year it could actually cost you more than keeping them on the payroll. The reason is for things like severance pay, unemployment benefits, and the biggy, re-training all the other remaining pilots. At USAirways I believe they came up with a figure of 18 months as the break-even point. So the number of future retirements becomes the key question in terms of additional furloughs. If Delta will be losing/retiring 300 pilots over the next 18 month period a furlough would probably not save any money.

TP

typhoonpilot said:
One thing to remember in regards to furloughs is that there is a break-even time for furlough duration. At USAirways I believe they came up with a figure of 18 months as the break-even point.

That brings back memories. Spring of 2003, CAL won't furlough unless it's for 18 months, those at the bottom of the list are safe.

Too bad no one told management. 200 pilots furloughed in May 03, recalled May 04.

Remind me what a "green-slip" is to you guys?

Is that what we call "picking up open time", can you do that yourself on the computer, or do you have to go though scheds?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back