• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and TPG looking into AMR Corp bid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If this happens, it will open up a million small airlines to start operations just like there was after Deregulation. Delta +AA, and UAL as CON U airlines will rely on their size and will over look smaller markets or niche markets. SW has some issues to work through with the merger and Kelly saying that they are too expensive so they may even miss some opportunities. DL and UAL would probably go after SW with every low cost RJ they have.

Just a guess. I may be talking out of my ars with details, but smaller upstarts will be on the horizon.

With oil at over $100 a barrel? Virgin America has been around for 5-6 years now and still hasn't made a real profit, and has to continually find financing. I see fewer airlines in total and more consolidation to bring up profits by squeezing more capacity. Buy up your competition and then cut back on capacity, just like what SWA is doing with AT in ATL. GK said there would be fewer total flights out of ATL after their merger is complete.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

There is no such thing as a low cost RJ. That is why they sucked the legacies dry.

Of course. Blame the regional guys and their terrible RJs for every economic failure suffered by the REAL airline pilots. I never get tired of hearing about that.

Never pass governmental approval.

Sounds like Delta already did the analysis and thinks with a few concessions, it could work. That was straight out of an article I just read. Maybe they know something you don't, and maybe there is a plan to break up an airline, and an alliance at the same time.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Last edited:
Sounds like Delta already did the analysis and thinks with a few concessions, it could work. That was straight out of an article I just read. Maybe they know something you don't, and maybe there is a plan to break up an airline, and an alliance at the same time.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

I see your point, but I think the outrage amongst the employees would be similar to what Delta went through when UsAir tried a takeover. I just don't see it as anything else other than exploring the possibility. Just noise or manipulation of their stock or investor interest.

I'm willing to bet American employees are saying, "please delta please delta please delta".

Seems to me as the mega carriers consolidate, airlines Like VA. SWA, JetBlue and Spirit will find MORE opportunity, not less. The comment about RJ's kicking SWA's ass???? Correct me if I am wrong, but RJ's mostly feed mainline flights rather than compete head to head with anyone. Thinking you could use an RJ competing with a 737 or 717 seems like a stretch to me. This industry is morphing into a couple Mega carriers and leaving plenty of stones unturned in it's wake.

I'm willing to bet American employees are saying, "please delta please delta please delta".

I would think so too. Seems to me they could have some control. I.E if they are sure the DAL merger is a better deal for them they could co-operate, and make it clear that if they didn't respect the employee's wish's the corporation will deal with labor hell.

Eventually the major airlines of the World will be Skyteam Airlines, One World Airlines, and Star Alliance Air. Being able to dismantle one of those now by picking apart one of the founders of one of them (AA), could be a part of the plan.

And Dan, your airline could also be a target someday. It may be really tough to stay independent, especially if you have a profitable niche.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Latest resources

Back