Delta and college GPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why didn't he finish a degree?

You look at it from the wrong perspective- at some point, the question is why wouldn't you achieve that when 95% of your peers did?
Why does someone without that degree, who didn't do the work, who didn't figure out a way to finance it, supposed to be on an equal playing field with those of us who did?

Is this little league where we all get a trophy ?

Yip, you have yet to tell me the actual degree program you have an issue with. Why do you avoid giving us real world examples of "bumblebee state"?

I'm curious to know which degrees out there are easy, bought and paid for
nice subject change, I was responding to your post you could not have critical thinking skills without a college degree. From I see here you are a supporter of the box checking, you don't have learn anything or go to school, but you prove your superiority by having a degree like 95% peers, most of whom would join the 47% of college graduate now working at a Starbucks type place because their college did not teach any marketable skills. Well except to check the box on an airline application.

None of which I said yip
You still won't answer which real universities you equate to bumblebee state.

None of which I said yip
You still won't answer which real universities you equate to bumblebee state.

I don't
I want to fly with well rounded pilots who have a track record of discipline, study, and finishing goals.
Those traits are directly related to aviation.
What does an airline do when it hires a pilot?
Puts them into CLASS.

You didn't say this? It infers that college is the only place to learn to go to class even though at some colleges you never go to class. But going through a military flight training program in the Army as a WO doesn't count as going to class? Pretty narrow minded if you ask me.

BTW I am not going to name any colleges, but there have been threads referring to these college where you can get a degree with the least amount of work and money. Go check'em. As I posted before I care to offend no one who went to these colleges.

Not "required" but a good start.

I would say that the military is an acceptable substitute. Or lots of work experience. Or lots of non-profit volunteer experience. Etc. There are many ways to become a well-rounded individual. College is for educating, not for "rounding."

I fear for this country and the absolute war on education that is going on- debt, "liberal bias!!" Like what was posted above-

Education is great and all, but we should recognize that not everyone needs a college education. And I'm sorry, but flying airplanes is a skilled labor field, not a field requiring high level academics. Pilots push this degree nonsense because they want to pretend that they're on a level playing field with doctors and lawyers. But they aren't. And that's why HR departments don't care whether your degree is in basket weaving or "professional aeronautics." It's meaningless to the actual job.

Right again! a guy with the on-line degree from Bumblebee State is so much better rounded than a high school grad with two years of college at the University of Arizona who went through Army Flight Training. He flew all over the world transitioned into fixed wing, flew Army YIP's around the US. But this Army WO never got a college degree so in your eyes he is a sub-standard person with no rounding experience or any discipline at all. Make sure you don't get any of them in the SWA cockpit, because I know they have hired some of these guys. Maybe you can have like a "scab" list to make sure everyone you fly with had a college degree.

Thank you, you get it
You should just use "bill Gates" as your response to every post with which you disagree.

I think the point here is that Delta can afford to be picky and choose people who managed their lives early on to present in a way that shows responsibility, foresight, planning, self control. A willingness to live your life in a way that is well rounded with good decisions from start to finish.

While some train wrecks straighten themselves out later in life (myself included) they want the folks who never derailed.

I think the point here is that Delta can afford to be picky and choose people who managed their lives early on to present in a way that shows responsibility, foresight, planning, self control. A willingness to live your life in a way that is well rounded with good decisions from start to finish.

While some train wrecks straighten themselves out later in life (myself included) they want the folks who never derailed.
yes but in their narrow mindedness they say these traits can only be developed in college. At some colleges for sure at other college not so sure, but all colleges are treated the same when you check the box in the lower left corner. I do not support college as the only way to develop these skills, I have just met too many successful people who did not get a four year degree. I know too many people who did not go to college, but have great jobs, successful careers and a good life. I know too many college graduates who are working at Starbucks type job because they have not developed any skills that have any market demand.

Yes I know that is the way DAL wants to do it, good for them it is there company, I just think their hiring mangers are stupid.

BTW: They used to hire without the degree and those guys did just fine. Maybe it was because most of them were Navy pilots of the Vietnam era.

IHOP managers don't really qualify as successful.
No we are not talking about an IHOP manager. We are talking about an auto repair shop run by a graduate of automotive tech school making $200K/yr. A Navy trained Nuclear Power Plant operator making 100K/yr, and a skilled welder making $150k/yr. Plus the beauty of these job are they cannot be exported.

BTW I am going to bet most college graduate could not do these high-paying jobs because they lack the aptitude

Latest resources

Back