Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

acaTerry

SAPM
OK let me ask....how big does your college GPA get factor in an invitation for an interview? I did fairly well my last 2 years, after Marines boot camp gave me the wake up call I needed. But I was such a goof off in my first two years that my GPA was mortally wounded beyond help...let's say I graduated with pretty well under 3.0 (out of 4.0). Is it still worth a shot?

Last edited:
OK let me ask....how big does your college GPA get factor in an invitation for an interview? I did fairly well my last 2 years, but I was such a goof off in my first two years that my GPA was mortally wounded beyond help...let's say I graduated with pretty well under 3.0 (out of 4.0). Is it still worth a shot?

It is worth a shot, but apparently right now your app is put into one of three piles. First pile is "we gotta have this person right now." The second is "not bad, but let's wait a bit." Third is a Nope.

I don't know how many F15 guys with 4.0s and Master Degrees are out there, but I bet DL, AA, and UAL will be going after them too. Try to get a recommendation, make sure your app is clean, and give it a shot. Hiring should last for years at all of the big 3. Go for it!

Bye Bye---General Lee

No GPA required if you work at Endeavor (slim bag regional) heck you don't even need a degree if you work there to get on at DAL otherwise you need above a 3.0 to be in the first stack from what I've been told...... Flow and hiring agreements have made it impossible to say DAL, UA & AA hire the best educated and most talented pilots nowadays. One thing is for sure if you don't put your stuff in they won't hire you!!

Its harder to get the interview than it is to pass the interview in your scenario. Frustrating to say the least. Delta views your whole life from highschool and makes a decision based on things like your gpa. Once you are in the interview you get a chance to tell them exactly what you just told us and by all accounts the interviewers are professional guys who will say we understand, way to pull it together and your hired. but like the other posters said, your app is scored against people who didnt do what you or i or others did and it might take awhile to get there. Good luck either way, your not the only one in that scenario.

In other words, they want boy scouts that were born with a silver spoons in their mouths. I could have been done in four years with great grades if I wasn't working two jobs to put myself through college. If they don't want pilots that pull themselves up by the bootstraps, their loss.

In other words, they want boy scouts that were born with a silver spoons in their mouths. I could have been done in four years with great grades if I wasn't working two jobs to put myself through college. If they don't want pilots that pull themselves up by the bootstraps, their loss.

Whoa! Relax Jack! They have essentially just started hiring this year and have another 8-9 to go. There are 800 age 65 retirements scheduled in the year 2022 alone, and similar numbers leading up to that particular year. Huge upward movement for everyone.

In the beginning they are being picky, because they can. They do have flow ups from Compass and a number of interviews for the Endeavor pilots, but for the off the street guys, they can be picky right now. Those guys are sought after by all 3 legacies, SWA, FedEx, and the other well paying carriers, so that pool of highly competitive pilots will dry up fast. Relax..

Bye Bye---General Lee

Here is a question from the opposite end of the spectrum, could a 4.0 GPA be detrimental? Could that high of a GPA lead to questions about your personality, or lack thereof, and the institution from which you graduated?

When the next downturn or 9/11 type event occurs, you probably will be on the street for quite awhile.

Being number 12,000 on a seniority list has never proven to be a very secure place to be.

When the next downturn or 9/11 type event occurs, you probably will be on the street for quite awhile.

Being number 12,000 on a seniority list has never proven to be a very secure place to be.

Except there are 5,000 pilots at DL leaving due to retirements (15,000 at the big 3 combined) Consolidation of airlines has occurred since 9-11, and bag and change fees have changed the industry revenue wise. Other than all that, sure, maybe.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Go to as many job fairs as you can find

Find other ways to get your app into that first pile

Once you get an interview it is about how you answer that question
Emphasize your progression and how you grew.

Your situation is much better than having an identical gpa where the pilot was simply average throughout, or god forbid- an excellent student who fell off a cliff once 21 hit-

It's always how you explain it-

Do whatever you can to differentiate yourself?

If you can find a good program that helps your life in another way- consider a master's
Ace that and you'll be in the right pile.

And no- a 4.0 is not looked down upon.
They have other ways to figure out if your personality is a sticking point
(Besides, this is delta anyway....)

Latest resources

Back