• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and college GPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just stop arguing or trying to get YIP to think like the other 99% of the pilot profession.. It'll be like a dog chasing it's tail... Round and round and round til you forget why the heck you started the debate in the first place. He has some generic canned response for every scenario. And most of them he has used for the last decade or so on here.

Just stop arguing or trying to get YIP to think like the other 99% of the pilot profession.. It'll be like a dog chasing it's tail... Round and round and round til you forget why the heck you started the debate in the first place. He has some generic canned response for every scenario. And most of them he has used for the last decade or so on here.
Of course they are canned the issues remain the same. The 99% feel that college is the only source of knowledge in the universe. That only college can make a person well rounded, disciplined, or a place to develop critical thinking skills. I just happen to know it is not true. That there are no other experiences in life that give a person develop these skills. To the college crowd an on-line degree with no on-campus or classroom time makes one superior. But the non-college grad Army WO who has flown all over the world, been put into leadership positions and given responsibility beyond most college graduates is well in the college grads words an uneducated person.

This has been going on for well over a decade if you are a new comer to these exchanges. I pretty well have everyone now agreeing it has nothing to do with flying an airplane. The same as Robert Lovett stated in 1941 when Hap Arnold told him that you needed college to be a Army pilot. Well a bunch of high school prove Hap wrong

Last edited:
No- you don't yip

But whatever makes you sleep well-
What you are talking about are the exceptions
And most airlines provide space to hire the exceptions
It's still something they ought to answer
So why not college?

Oh and bill gates was an exception as well as Steve jobs-
Most of us are not them, but with good choices and putting our minds to it we can still be pretty successful-

It is still 100% bad advice to recommend that an aspiring pilot not get a degree-
That's reality

What you're talking about is your desire to change reality-
You disagree-
I am glad SWA hires those exceptions- I've certainly met and flown with many a great one-
I needed college to take on this profession and I bet most of us did as well-

I needed college to take on this profession

This I find curious. Why? Other than your SWA koolaid drinking, you seem like an otherwise intelligent individual. Why do you think you "needed" college to do a rather simple job?

No we are not talking about an IHOP manager. We are talking about an auto repair shop run by a graduate of automotive tech school making $200K/yr. A Navy trained Nuclear Power Plant operator making 100K/yr, and a skilled welder making $150k/yr. Plus the beauty of these job are they cannot be exported.

BTW I am going to bet most college graduate could not do these high-paying jobs because they lack the aptitude

Yip, you left out Strippers making $100,000, although the job CAN be imported.

I needed college to take on this profession and I bet most of us did as well-

Wave, Three of the best pilots I've known never went to college. They went right into flying complex multi engine aircraft at a very young age and made it into HA, Piedmont and AA (via AirCal). They were much better pilots than almost all the highly educated one's I've known. I've known pilots that over emphasize the importance of were they went to college too. They weren't so good.
That said, the reality is, having graduated from college is just one more resume builder that I can understand an employer would want to have checked off. But it in no way indicates any superiority or higher level of competence in the cockpit.

Well, I?m out. 2.3 in Mec Eng, should have got that basket weaving degree instead! That would be much more beneficial in the cockpit. And all those traffic tickets in my muscle car. Ah, what the heck, I?d be no fun to visit with.

So pilotyip, in what semester did you drop out of college?
Never did, but should have to get a good start in this career. I got a BS from Michigan State University in 1965. But I should have dropped out in 1963 after two year joined the Navy as a NAVCAD. I could have gotten out in 1968 when DAL hired Navy pilots without degrees. In fact at that time it was almost a pipeline, get out tell DAL you were a Navy pilot and wanted to work there. In fact I saw guys get hired while still on active duty, doing DAL GS while on terminal leave. I watched guys do it they never had a lay off, or loss of the Captain's. I guess you could say going to college ruined my career. don't ya think?

All that being said, I did find getting a Masters in Business very useful in understanding money, investing and budgeting. Good things to know when planing for retirement.

Wave, Three of the best pilots I've known never went to college. They went right into flying complex multi engine aircraft at a very young age and made it into HA, Piedmont and AA (via AirCal). They were much better pilots than almost all the highly educated one's I've known. I've known pilots that over emphasize the importance of were they went to college too. They weren't so good.
That said, the reality is, having graduated from college is just one more resume builder that I can understand an employer would want to have checked off. But it in no way indicates any superiority or higher level of competence in the cockpit.
Thank you, you get it.

Last edited:
Well, I?m out. 2.3 in Mec Eng, should have got that basket weaving degree instead! That would be much more beneficial in the cockpit. And all those traffic tickets in my muscle car. Ah, what the heck, I?d be no fun to visit with.
Yes but you might actually be learning something that someone will pay you to do for them. A 2.3 in ME will bring a whole lot more money than a 4.0 in French History, Gender studies, etc.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back