• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta 717's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quick google check shows average delta acft is 16 yrs, avg swa acft is 12. I don't think getting rid of the dc9 will have a big impact on that number.

How 'new' are your 100+ MD88's?

We have 20 -500's.
We have 140 -300's.
We have 400 -700/-800's.

BTW, the FO's flying the -500 make more money than most of your Heavy Captains.

I am pretty sure Gary made financial accomodations for the prior AirTran pilots that will need a type in a few years when they upgrade.

BTW, we've made money EVERY YEAR since 1975. Yall went BANKRUPT a couple years ago. I think we have an okay pulse on how to operate our company. I bet your West Texas accountant wife agrees.

Most of your FOs make more than DL heavy Captains? GIVE ME A BREAK.... You have no clue what the heavy Captains do, if they get Greenslips, etc. And they don't have to do intra Texas crap and 5 legs a day like your -500 FOs. Sorry, your BS Flag just went way up.

And I am glad you made money so many years, but now you aren't making as much, and ancillary revenue is the name of the game. Ask your pole dancing wife about making extra cash, she will agree.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Do your JR Captains get 16 days off a month on Reserve and get 90 credits?

Junior Captains at DL will be senior Captains before most of your FOs upgrade these days. Thanks to your AT merger, the stagnation at your company for most FOs has increased. DL seems to have busy times in waves, mainly Summer and Holidays obviously. So, during the Summer most fly a lot. During the slow periods they get a lot more than 16 days off. As far as 90 credits go, I don't know how that computes against the DL min hours, but during the slow months, 72 hours pay is min (up from 70), and during busy months the min is 78 hours (but it can be higher). The difference is people can bid UP to larger planes and make more. Someone junior on the A330 as a Captain might be able to also be junior on the 744. They pay a lot more than your 737s. And with HUGE retirements coming, people will be climbing the ladder fast, whereas you and Red will still be doing 5 legs to Harlingen, while senior AT guys eventually beat you to the left seat.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Are we really still doing this mine is better than your thing w/ GL-?

Hey GL, glad you like it there- I like it at Swa- hope it works out for all-
I have zero problems w/ the delta career- I hate how DALPA sells out scope for a biscuit-
Bu delta is still the best legacy to work for. If that's your thing, great. It's not mine- you'd have to pay me double Swa pay to get close to worth it-
As for stagnation, hasnt delta been stagnant for the last 10+ years?
All pilots deserve some growth after the last decade- stop selling out scope and some might be heading your way- hope it will at Swa too, but we'd have to be stagnant another 8 years before we catch up to delta in that area-

Swa is a much better airline FOR ME.

Is that alright GL? Can Swa be better for me without you taking it personally and applying your opinion? Bc I don't care that delta is better for you. Sounds like you're happy. Man- two happy pilots, happy with their employer- .... Very lucky to find the good match, bc a relative few can say that-
Be grateful and shut up about comparing- its meaningless

General,

You do understand that this is almost 2013 and NW/DL are still flying around old DC-9s right? I agree that they should be on there way out....like 10 years ago.

It wasn't that long ago that you guys had OVER 100 of those gas guzzling airplanes. The point is, they elected to keep them longer before they were PAID FOR. With me so far? That's what we are doing. Same thing.....with the caveat that the -300s are much more fuel effecient than an the almost straight jet DC9. The 300s still have a realitively high bypass engine, the 9s...not so much.

So we made the same decision you guys did for the past 10 years. Very simple.

I'm confused about were we where talking about Airtran pilots. It's over. The votes are in. For some reason you like to bring it up like its some talking point. Should I start talking about the DL pension obligation? Of course not, we aren't even discussing that. More spin, more spin.

Nice try General.

The votes are in, but the anger is still out there, by almost EVERY AT pilot. They got the shaft. You see, a SUCCESSFUL integration includes a joint contract FIRST, with equal pay for equal planes. Then, an SLI is determined. Had you gone that route first, you may have taken the sting out of a more favorable integration for YOU GUYS, but instead you and your management gave them a poop sandwich.

You can go ahead and talk about the pension obligation. As long as you have enough cash flow on hand, you can carry that for YEARS. That is known by everyone. The key here is to service the debt (currently being done, $18 billion down to $10 billion in 4 years), and then address that obligation. If you make enough revenue to cover the obligation, then you are fine. If you make an EXTRA $2.5 billion per year in ancillary revenue (bag and ticket change fees), then you can probably cover the obligation. I believe I read that you and AT made about $1.1 Billion last year in ancillary revenue. Not bad, but $1.4 BILLION LESS than DL, and $4.2 BILLION LESS than UAL. That is significant. If you can carry that much extra cash to pay down debt or pension payments, that's GOOD.

I like that you enjoy talking about the DC9s. Have you ever been on a 777? How about an A330? How about 757s with Dish Network live TV? Talk about more advanced than your old 733s and 735s. Your product hasn't changed, but the range of your planes have. That doesn't sound fun. But you guys are SOOOO advanced. Wait, your reservations computer can't take INTL flights, meaning AT still has to fly to Mexico and the Caribbean. Way to go! Time for you to use all of those profits to invest in better, newer equipment and inflight entertainment. I read that you were even testing live TV in some of your planes. Welcome to the future!

Bye Bye---General Lee

I have zero problems w/ the delta career- I hate how DALPA sells out scope for a biscuit-
Bu delta is still the best legacy to work for. If that's your thing, great. It's not mine- you'd have to pay me double Swa pay to get close to worth it-
All pilots deserve some growth after the last decade- stop selling out scope and some might be heading your way- hope it will at Swa too, but we'd have to be stagnant another 8 years before we catch up to delta in that area-

Is that alright GL? Can Swa be better for me without you taking it personally and applying your opinion? Bc I don't care that delta is better for you. Sounds like you're happy. Man- two happy pilots, happy with their employer- .... Very lucky to find the good match, bc a relative few can say that-

Thanks Wave, I am glad you feel that way. Red and Whatajoke need to figure that out too.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I agree as well.

I think we can also agree that the General is pretty much a dooosh.

Let's see..

Bashes the regional guys on THEIR forum.
Bashes any other company that isn't Delta.
Tries to say that Millions in pension obligations are okay, even acceptable if they are making money. Yes, that was an IF.
I could go on and on, but plenty of people have seen year after year of the General's crap.

General, please keep talking and making my point for me.

General Lee still up to your old tricks? Where is your brother, I haven't seen them lately?

My brother? That's you, my brother from a crazy mother. I did see OYS in the lounge the other day. We both said FI has gotten a breath of fresh air since you stopped being a moderator. It's like the Berlin Wall fell again. Anyway, he said he's been busy flying a lot this summer, but has followed a lot of the threads.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I agree as well.

I think we can also agree that the General is pretty much a dooosh.

Let's see..

Bashes the regional guys on THEIR forum.
Bashes any other company that isn't Delta.
Tries to say that Millions in pension obligations are okay, even acceptable if they are making money. Yes, that was an IF.
I could go on and on, but plenty of people have seen year after year of the General's crap.

General, please keep talking and making my point for me.

A dooosh? Come on Red, the bad quesadillas in LBB are starting to get to you. Bashing the regional guys? No. I give them my opinion, just like I do about any aviation topic. And since when did you become Kramer from CNBC concerning pension obligations? I have a feeling that management knows how to handle it better than you do. It's all about free cash flow, and paying down what you need to pay. Making an EXTRA $2.5 billion per year in fees probably can help with that. DL made $1.4 billion MORE in fees than SWA did last year. That can only help.

Take some kaopectate and tums and call a doctor in the morning. Those quesadillas probably also cause a lot of gas. You are full of hot air anyway....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back