Delta 717's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DUATS

Is there a date for Delta to begin flying the 717's it's getting from Airtran?

Will they be net new airframes to replace the regional CRJ's they are losing, or will the DC-9's be dropped as the 717's come on line?

Supposedly DL will get the first 16 717s next year, and 36 717s each of the next two years, for a total if 88. DL will also be getting 30 MD90s in the next two years, which will replace the 17 departing DC9s, which may hang around until the beginning of 2014. Next Summer DL also starts getting the first of 100 737-900ERs at a pace of 3 a month, which will be replacing one for one a mix of older 757s, older domestic 767-300s, and about 40 of the oldest A320s which are close to the cycle limit. The 717s may fly some of the current DC9 routes, and rumors say ATL and DTW may be initial 717 bases, but LGA may also be included (NYC based). The departing 50 seaters will be replaced by 70 seaters and 76 seaters. The 717 will probably replace 76 seaters on some of their current routes.

Bye Bye--- General Lee

Last edited:
and about 40 of the oldest A320s which are close to the cycle limit.

40 out of 126 gone? Where did you hear that? Looks like the narrowbody future is the 737. Oh joy. :angryfire

Delta Rocks!!!!!!! Best Airline in the World, Ever, Ever................... Everybody else suck Delta's wake.....

Delta Rocks!!!!!!! Best Airline in the World, Ever, Ever................... Everybody else suck Delta's wake.....

If you think Delta rocks now, wait 'till you see the the "widget" convenience stores opening up near 7-11's selling "widget oil", beer, Slim Jim's, lottery scratch offs, Red Bull, taquitos,..... LOL

Heard a rumor that the AirTran pilots may sue to fly the 717's...General, what say you?

Heard a rumor that the AirTran pilots may sue to fly the 717's...General, what say you?

Old rumor. Probably true. Lawyers will get rich. Pilots will get disappointed.

I don't think they would win if they did sue, since it was a sub-lease deal from SWA, which is something that was allowed. I have a feeling both DL and SWA looked into the matter before making this deal, and the DL VP of Flt Ops even stated that AT pilots would not be coming along with the deal. I believe SWA will be keeping the old 737-300s and -500s longer, which will keep those AT pilots in the cockpits, hopefully with SWA payrates by then.

I did hear from a reliable source that DL also has the first right of refusal for 25 additional 717s (ex Mexicana Click) that are sitting in the AZ desert right now, and that it might happen. That would be REAL nice..... But of course I am waiting for the 100 737-900ERs to start coming over next year to boost my chances of a 737 left seat. I don't really want to do 5 legs a day like a Corndog in that 717. If Delta does get that many 717s though, I bet some of those current AT 717 pilots might want to think about coming over to DL. With up to 7000 newhires in the next decade (stated by the VP of Flt Ops), it may lead to a lot better QOL and back to a plane that they may enjoy.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back