Deal reached on new pilot hours

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
has nothing to do with flying an airplane

I don't agree with that. The purpose of the college thing is to differentiate between an educated person and just another bus driver. That's why a college degree is required at any place worth going to.
At SWA, AT, & JB to name a few, left seats are filled with many pilots who do not have a college degree. It has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Let’s go with a better standard, you must write an ACT of 27 or an SAT of 1250 to get your ATP. That would be better test of intelligence than a college degree.

Last edited:
At SWA, AT, & JB to name a few, left seats are filled with many pilots who do not have a college degree. It has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Let’s go with a better standard, you must write an ACT of 27 or an SAT of 1250 to get your ATP. That would be better test of intelligence than a college degree.

Were not talking about intelligence, we are talking about education.

And I know for sure that you have a bout a 0 chance of getting on at JB with no college degree. Might as well play the lottery. We all know every place has those guys with no degree but they usually got on while the getting was good like when the airline first opened and they were just another skybus.

What does an ACT or SAT measure other then one's ability to cram for a singular standardized test? A college degree shows the ability, drive, perseverance of one's ability to pass multiple standardized and unstandardized tests over a multi year period.

Once upon a time you could also find presidents of banks, CEO's of major corporations, engineers, and even doctors. They evolved, embraced the concept that being a professional required higher levels of education. Conceivably you could possess all of the knowledge to do any of those jobs without a college degree - what do you think the odds are of being hired or respected within that community?

As has been said, it isn't a matter of the degree being necessary to yank and bank. It is a matter of recognizing that we need to evolve and move forward if we hope to ever improve the profession.

mnay other ways to prove the same thing

What does an ACT or SAT measure other then one's ability to cram for a singular standardized test? A college degree shows the ability, drive, perseverance of one's ability to pass multiple standardized and unstandardized tests over a multi year period.
completion of a military flight training program shows the same, Amry does not require a degree, completion of a two-year radiation technican at teh two-year jr college, qualifiy as a Nuc Power plant operator in the Sunmarien. These are all tests of one ability to shows the ability, drive, perseverance of one's ability to pass multiple standardized and unstandardized tests over a multi year period.

The thing that I find funny about this whole thing, and I have said it before. Two years ago when I got laid off I had and atp and two jet type ratings with I don't know 2800-3000 hours and I could not get a call from Messaba or pinnical. but you have a Zero to hero with 500 hours getting calls. Just funny, F everybody.

spleeping plocie

Doesn’t the completion of a military flight training program shows the same things? The Army does not require a degree. How about completion of a two-year radiation technician at the two-year jr. college, and qualifying as a Nuc Power plant operator in the Submarine, does that show the same things. These are all tests of one ability to show the ability, drive, perseverance of one's ability to pass multiple standardized and unstandardized tests over a multi year period. BTW Don't want the spelling, paragraph, and grammar ploice t oget atfer me.

Were not talking about intelligence, we are talking about education.

And I know for sure that you have a bout a 0 chance of getting on at JB with no college degree. Might as well play the lottery. We all know every place has those guys with no degree but they usually got on while the getting was good like when the airline first opened and they were just another skybus.

You can "educate" a monkey. That doesn't mean it can successfully operate a door knob.

I don't agree with that. The purpose of the college thing is to differentiate between an educated person and just another bus driver. That's why a college degree is required at any place worth going to.

I'm all for an education requirement! Let's make a 4-year degree in the hard sciences (chem, bio, engineering, etc) a requirement or, if you don't have that, a masters degree in something other than the "fine arts!" In the real world, a requirement like this would do nothing but raise the cost of pilot labor. You probably won't make flying any more safe than it is now.

I know many pilots who are GREAT sticks and only have a HS education. I would rather have an ATP/A&P IA with a GED in the cockpit than an ATP with an MBA, all other things being equal.

If you want to give professional pilots a "professional image," you should be pushing for requirements for graduate degrees/MBA's/JD's. Virtually everyone entering the aviation industry has a 2 or 4 year college degree now. What do those have to do with flying? Nothing! All they do is prove someone was determined enough to get through those degrees.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back