• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Deal reached on new pilot hours

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll just be glad to see an end to the 300 hour new hire into a jet. I wonder how this will effect Gulfstreams FO program? hmmm.

"specific rigorous conditions such as icing... ". Now, I am all for upping the hours of first officers, but how is someone flying charter etc in Florida or down south supposed to pull that off? This could be interesting.

We need it even higher to create a pilot shortage and maybe we'll get payed what we deserve and then some.

I would like to get PAID more! Don't know about "PAYED"

I'll probably get blasted for this. I think 1500TT and 500ME would be a good start. It will give you the time to instruct (actually learn a little from it) and then move on to flying a light twin (part 135) to really learn how to fly in the weather.

The "real" experience I gained from being a check instructor, to single pilot IFR was amazing and I couldn't imagine skipping over that in my career. True it would have been cool to get an rj job right out of college (if anyone was hiring at the time), but I wouldn't give up my experiences for anything.

A friend of mines daughter has been in the guard flying C-130's for over two years. She has around 600 hrs, but she is now not airline material, But two guys with their CFI's, buy a C-150, fly it together day/VFR for 300 hours giving each other dual and they are instant 800 hour pilots, a hard number has nothing to do with skill. For example the 500 ME means nothing, we have hired military helos drivers into the right seat of the DA-20 Falcon. They got 10 hours ME to get their ratings. They out flew the 1500 ME guys coming out of the 135 world. Why excellent CRM skills, and excellent IFR skills. Plus just an opinion that the light control touch that a helo driver has is better adopted to a jet transition than muscling a PA-31 around the skies. BTW We had minor problem with one guy who tried pulling up on the right armrest to get back on gluide slope, we fixed that one

This compromise basically renders the provisions useless. Very few pilots were ever actually getting hired with less than 800 hours. The average was probably in the 1000-1200 hour range. We needed the 1500 hours to make a significant impact. Disappointing to say the least.

Latest resources

Back