• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL sees more mergers and wants cash on hand to participate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SE isn't that big of a deal...they had plenty of LAX/SEA guys get forced based up there and after a 3 day OE qual they were qualified. Local knowledge is great, but the operation moves on w/ meat in the seat. DAL guys could be flying the same routes in a week. Let's not think this is rocket science.

Baja.

You guys probably wont even have to worry about it anymore since the rumor is Horizon/Alaska Express will be flying SE with the Megawhacker.

I was wondering the same thing. Not to mention bigger equipment in those bases. If we merged the senior AK Air guys would be fighting to get into the 330/76ER in SEA and 76ER in LAX.

No, there would be more lines on the 737 in LAX for the Alaska guys (we have an LAX 737 base too), but the larger planes might be fenced. Just think, they could be flying allnighters to Columbus, Raleigh, and Memphis from LAX if there was ever a merger! And, as far as the SE goes, I bet it is tough, but so is Quito and Bogota. And, since they are currently flown on 737s, THEY MIGHT GET TO FLY THOSE ROUTES TOO. Enjoy it. If a merger like this ever does happen, I am sure it will be FANTASTIC for everyone. Take care, and have a Merry Xmas!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I hear ya and understand. I don't think either of us need to worry about staying west if we merge. I am an 08' hire and am already in SLC. In two years I'll be in SEA on the 76ER. If we merge you'll be put ahead of me on the SLI and that opens up the 76ER and possibly the 330 in SEA. Hopefully, we could just merge the list amicably and avoid fences. It's not like it's all bad...you can bring up our 73 rates and we offer equipment and international options.

If you want to know what I'd like to see it would be for DAL to drive up the price till it was toxic, pull out last minute and let AMR eat that poison pill, then we buy Virgin America and build our own West Coast feed. No offense, just a strategy.

If there is a merger, the SLI may look a lot like the Nicalau award for USAir/AWA (precedent), which put the top 500 pilots at USAir East (who flew INTL widebodies) on the top of the list, and then relative below that. Since DL is a lot larger than USAir and flies a lot more INTL widebodies (and bigger widebodies), then it could likely have the top 3000 or 4000 pilots from DL, and then relative below that. Looking at career expecations, AK guys currently have 737s in their future, no widebodies, and no INTL routes other than Canada and Mexico. This is all speculation, but it has precedent behind it. And, nobody likes SLI stuff besides the lawyers and arbitrators, but a 12,000 pilot group next to a 1500 or 2000 pilot group won't be one for one, or even close. And, current stock price probably won't matter. Just remember, this is all speculation, and I hope all of you HAVE A FANTASTIC HOLIDAY!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Ever hear of Compass? If you are fNWA, your 30% pay cut was used to buy these shiny new jets for non seniority list pilots to fly. .

It was a 40% pay cut plus work rule changes that amounted to a total of about 50% total pay cut. Trust me...I was there.

How about Alaska buys HI and then with the existing DAL Code share agreement DAL can sell 50% of the seats on each HI, now AS 330...... (DAL would be forced to buy AS because leaving them out there would expose too much of their route network, that is why the next option is the better play)

Or how about DAL makes a play for HI, AMR and LUV go after AS making DAL's case that they need to buy AS to keep their feed. Not much the DOJ can say about that one.

Branson wants a bed partner, and he knows his butt is about to get kicked. Virgin America is too.

LCC needs a partner, but I suspect they will be sold as two separate pieces.

AMR and B6's stocks have been trading at very high volume recently. I suspect a merger of these two in the next six months. (Shortly after the ALPA vote at B6)

With the new Brazilian-US Open Skies, NKS (Spirit's) value is a lot less than it used to be. The have lots of Latin and South American route authorities that are very valuable in to these slot restricted countries, and more open skies agreements will hurt their overall value and niche. They will need a bed mate as well. DAL or AMR would be a good fit, but both are waiting to see what goes on with these "in process" open skies talks. If other countries follow Brazil's lead NKS's overall attractiveness goes way down.

Republic knows it is in trouble, wants to join Star and may pull it off with someone. I suspect though that they will be one of the causalities of consolidation. The have MKE and part of DEN. SWA will overpower them in MKE and SWA and UAL will kill them in DEN.

AA buys Jet Blue.

That leave DAL with absolutely nowhere to grow at JFK or EWR. Try expanding the largest airline in the world's market share with nothing more then Pan Am and Eastern's 40+ year old terminals is going to be tough.

If you are a 3rd class citizen in NY, London, Washington, Philadelphia, Miami, LA, SFO, Chicago and Dallas how big can you really grow with Minneapolis, Detroit, Memphis, Salt Lake and CVG, now that SWA is knocking at your door in ATL?

If anyone is looking to purchase Useless Air its DAL, they need PHL

AA buys Jet Blue.

That leave DAL with absolutely nowhere to grow at JFK or EWR. Try expanding the largest airline in the world's market share with nothing more then Pan Am and Eastern's 40+ year old terminals is going to be tough.

If you are a 3rd class citizen in NY, London, Washington, Philadelphia, Miami, LA, SFO, Chicago and Dallas how big can you really grow with Minneapolis, Detroit, Memphis, Salt Lake and CVG, now that SWA is knocking at your door in ATL?

If anyone is looking to purchase Useless Air its DAL, they need PHL

If AA buys JB, they will likely give up one of their 2 JFK terminals, AA under utilizes their JFK terminal big time, and they are giving domestic flying to JB anyway. So, Delta could actually expand at JFK if they purchase extra terminal space.

Last edited:
If AA buys JB, they will likely give up one of their 2 JFK terminals, AA under utilizes their JFK terminal big time, and they are giving domestic flying to JB anyway. So, Delta could actually expand at JFK if they purchase extra terminal space.

So true. Not to mention the whole West coast and beyond. I think people in the East think the world is flat and ships fall to their doom beyond the Mississippi.

If that were the case why would they purchase them in the first place? A monorail train connecting the terminals, like the one that AA has in DFW is more of a reality.

I hear ya and understand. I don't think either of us need to worry about staying west if we merge. I am an 08' hire and am already in SLC. In two years I'll be in SEA on the 76ER. If we merge you'll be put ahead of me on the SLI and that opens up the 76ER and possibly the 330 in SEA. Hopefully, we could just merge the list amicably and avoid fences. It's not like it's all bad...you can bring up our 73 rates and we offer equipment and international options.

If you want to know what I'd like to see it would be for DAL to drive up the price till it was toxic, pull out last minute and let AMR eat that poison pill, then we buy Virgin America and build our own West Coast feed. No offense, just a strategy.

Hey clippy.....

Were you the guy telling everybody that new-hires in 08 would be on the triple 7 also?? I hope your optimism spreads true because the ER in Seattle seems a stretch

Latest resources

Back