DAL sees more mergers and wants cash on hand to participate

DieselDragRacer

Total Time
Delta’s top executive said he expects more consolidation in the industry — even after two mega-mergers in the past two years — and wants to keep enough cash available to be able to participate, AJC reporter Kelly Yamanouchi writes.

Delta executives also told investors Wednesday that they see a “strengthening business environment” that will lift Delta well into the black for the year, Yamanouchi reports.

Chief executive Richard Anderson’s comments at an investor conference came amid reports that the British carrier Virgin Atlantic is seeking potential partners or an investment and that Delta is among potential candidates, according to Sky News in the U.K.

“We’ve got to prepare our balance sheets for future opportunities,” Anderson said during the New York conference, which was webcast. “I think we need to be flexible enough to participate, even through joint ventures or other sorts of arrangements.”

He said he wants to position Atlanta-based Delta “to be able to participate” in the final stages of industry consolidation, Yamanouchi writes.

http://blogs.ajc.com/business-beat/...hope-marta-pepsi/?cxntfid=blogs_business_beat

Jetjockey

Stay thirsty my friends
Total Time
18K+
Next up..............Alaska.

Dizel8

Douglas metal
Total Time
Huh?
Buy Blue!

St. Nic

Total Time
I doubt it. The pilot squabble will prevent UsAir from merging anytime soon. I could see AA picking up some pieces if UsAir collapses though.
There is no more squabbling- mesa west lost their fight in the appeals court. Parker knows this and is divesting out of Phoenix (a worthless hub) and is consolidation CLT, PHL and DCA. The airline will be split- east to AMR and MesaWest to Republic

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Total Time
+/-13k
AMR can't get Useless Air East cheap enough to make it worth taking PHL.

All pain. No gain.

TC

TWAdude--Hope you guys are doing ok. Entertaining thoughts of returning? If so, give me a call.

GOULET!

Oh look..a bighorn!
Total Time
Ream
Alaska for sure.

Going2Baja

Total Time
10k+
Smarter move is Hawaiian THEN Alaska.....I'd rather merge 300 guys into wide-body than the 2000 merged pilots of AK and HA if they merge first.

Baja.

JetMonkey

It's ok, I speak Jive
Total Time
9000+
There is no more squabbling- mesa west lost their fight in the appeals court. Parker knows this and is divesting out of Phoenix (a worthless hub) and is consolidation CLT, PHL and DCA. The airline will be split- east to AMR and MesaWest to Republic

Your welcome for saving your job A$$wipe!

get2flyin

Flyinawa!
Total Time
15k+
Classic East mentality; "What we have is so valuable and what you bring is crap". After two bankruptcies and near liquidation I'd think you'd start warming up to the idea of your previous model being a failure. The definition of mental illness is repeating the same actions with the expectation of a different result.

I'm sure AMR would welcome the opportunity to staple you on the bottom of their list. As much as I'd love to see you enjoy the view from the bottom (below even the Eagle FOs), I don't think it will happen. You should totally talk to USAPA about it. They've been dead on with everything else. :rolleyes:

*NOTE TO MODERATOR- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to jump on the East v. West poop slinging fest band wagon.

As far as Delta's ability to keep cash on hand for another merger...I can't imagine they'll be buying another legacy carrier. Perhaps they'll try to find something more regionalized that gives them gates or aircraft to better complete in someone else's hub.

Last edited:

johnsonrod

Total Time
8000+
Smarter move is Hawaiian THEN Alaska.....I'd rather merge 300 guys into wide-body than the 2000 merged pilots of AK and HA if they merge first.

Baja.
The Alaska guys would be fenced off of any plane larger than a 737 probably.

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Total Time
enough
Expect more international JV's (Virgin ...) rather than domestic acquisitions.

Dash8don

Reserve Dog
Total Time
Lots
The Alaska guys would be fenced off of any plane larger than a 737 probably.
That's fine, as long as we fence off SEA, PDX and LAX to the DL guys. Oh yeah, I almost forgot SIT too, you're welcome General ;-)

GG747

Total Time
Could you imagine if Delta and United join up. That would be four airlines into one name. Northwest, Delta, United and Continental.