• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL sees more mergers and wants cash on hand to participate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SE isn't that big of a deal...they had plenty of LAX/SEA guys get forced based up there and after a 3 day OE qual they were qualified. Local knowledge is great, but the operation moves on w/ meat in the seat. DAL guys could be flying the same routes in a week. Let's not think this is rocket science.

Baja.

Nevermind. Drinking and posting...

Why on earth would DL guys be fenced off SEA and LAX when we have pilot bases there already?

I was wondering the same thing. Not to mention bigger equipment in those bases. If we merged the senior AK Air guys would be fighting to get into the 330/76ER in SEA and 76ER in LAX.

Smarter move is Hawaiian THEN Alaska.....I'd rather merge 300 guys into wide-body than the 2000 merged pilots of AK and HA if they merge first.

Baja.

Great point! Plus, I'd rather merge with Hawaiian first. It's a big win with their routes and equipment.

SE isn't that big of a deal...they had plenty of LAX/SEA guys get forced based up there and after a 3 day OE qual they were qualified. Local knowledge is great, but the operation moves on w/ meat in the seat. DAL guys could be flying the same routes in a week. Let's not think this is rocket science.

Baja.

I should let this go but I can't.

It is not exceedingly difficult for a baby Alaska pilot to learn to operate in SE because the guy in the other seat has done it a lot. Also...this type of flying is a high percentage of our flying so it is probably easy to you but to suggest flying KTN-JNU In January is no big deal is ridiculous. Maybe, you've done too many Kodiaks or Red Dogs...those can make SE seem like a walk in the park.

I should let this go but I can't.

It is not exceedingly difficult for a baby Alaska pilot to learn to operate in SE because the guy in the other seat has done it a lot. Also...this type of flying is a high percentage of our flying so it is probably easy to you but to suggest flying KTN-JNU In January is no big deal is ridiculous. Maybe, you've done too many Kodiaks or Red Dogs...those can make SE seem like a walk in the park.

I agree but I think it would be a moot point. If Delta does merge, I see the milk run being one of the first to die on the vine. Second only to the ANC base getting closed and all interior AK runs getting handed off. I could see it being too much work, despite the $$$ and either handing it off or just letting go to the waste side.

It's just my humble opinion but I flown all over AK as well as seen Delta ops from the inside, coming from an outsiders perspective(former NWA). But I feel confident that is how it would play out.

Delta merging with Alaska would prompt the opening of an ANC and SEA base for Skywest, ASA, Republic, and Compass. Wherever possible, Delta prefers to fly DCI planes with higher frequency between city pairs. Sure, Delta is dumping many of the CRJ200, but thanks to ALPA, the EMB170 takes over where the CRJ200 left off.

More non-Delta pilots flying Delta/Alaska routes coming soon. Enjoy!!!

Delta merging with Alaska would prompt the opening of an ANC and SEA base for Skywest, ASA, Republic, and Compass. Wherever possible, Delta prefers to fly DCI planes with higher frequency between city pairs. Sure, Delta is dumping many of the CRJ200, but thanks to ALPA, the EMB170 takes over where the CRJ200 left off.

More non-Delta pilots flying Delta/Alaska routes coming soon. Enjoy!!!

Usually flame bait is more subtle. I guess this barely even would qualify as bait since its so obvious.

Usually flame bait is more subtle. I guess this barely even would qualify as bait since its so obvious.

Seriously clippyrip, where have you been in the last ten years? Ever hear of Compass? If you are fNWA, your 30% pay cut was used to buy these shiny new jets for non seniority list pilots to fly. In addition to your pay cut, many initial Captain positions were also given away which translates into the most substantial pay cut of all.

Did you know that Skywest just opened a MSP pilot base. Amazing, that after years of give-aways to the DCIs, you think the trend is going to magically reverse.

If a merger were to happen with AK, I'd be interested to hear why the trend of replacing mainline flying with DCI carriers would not continue in ANC and SEA.

I was wondering the same thing. Not to mention bigger equipment in those bases. If we merged the senior AK Air guys would be fighting to get into the 330/76ER in SEA and 76ER in LAX.

My point is what you think you bring to the table that needs to be fenced is "widebodies". I don't have a problem with that. Your career expectation is to be able to retire as a widebody captain. So, if we are going to talk fences, let's talk fencing off the narrowbody flying on the west coast. Why? My career expectation was to remain based on the west coast. It's part of the reason I chose AS. I have a lot of friends at Delta that are based in MSP/SLC that want SEA/LAX (PDX if you had it). My understanding is that SEA and LAX go very senior at DL. Do you even have narrowbodies based in SEA or LAX? Of course, this whole discussion is purely speculation at this point. I don't see a DL/AS tie-up in the near future. The stock price is too high, a lot of our value comes from our codeshare with AA and any buyout would undoubtedly start a bidding war driving the price higher. But then again who knows.

My point is what you think you bring to the table that needs to be fenced is "widebodies". I don't have a problem with that. Your career expectation is to be able to retire as a widebody captain. So, if we are going to talk fences, let's talk fencing off the narrowbody flying on the west coast. Why? My career expectation was to remain based on the west coast. It's part of the reason I chose AS. I have a lot of friends at Delta that are based in MSP/SLC that want SEA/LAX (PDX if you had it). My understanding is that SEA and LAX go very senior at DL. Do you even have narrowbodies based in SEA or LAX? Of course, this whole discussion is purely speculation at this point. I don't see a DL/AS tie-up in the near future. The stock price is too high, a lot of our value comes from our codeshare with AA and any buyout would undoubtedly start a bidding war driving the price higher. But then again who knows.

I hear ya and understand. I don't think either of us need to worry about staying west if we merge. I am an 08' hire and am already in SLC. In two years I'll be in SEA on the 76ER. If we merge you'll be put ahead of me on the SLI and that opens up the 76ER and possibly the 330 in SEA. Hopefully, we could just merge the list amicably and avoid fences. It's not like it's all bad...you can bring up our 73 rates and we offer equipment and international options.

If you want to know what I'd like to see it would be for DAL to drive up the price till it was toxic, pull out last minute and let AMR eat that poison pill, then we buy Virgin America and build our own West Coast feed. No offense, just a strategy.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back