• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL/NWA pilots RE: furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's really none of my business but the naivete displayed by both NW and DAL pilots on here is a bit surprising. Don't y'all think the other shoe's gonna' drop once the SLI is complete?

You do realize NW mgmt is made up of former Lorenzo lieutenants, right? I surmise they will make all the growth promises a pilot want's to hear (using airline mgmt 101 playbook) until the SLI is complete (to assure as smooth a process as possible). Then, once complete, the reality will hit. You can't keep parking DC-9s and MD-88s and still need to grow, especiallt while eveyone else is cutting capacity. Or can you?

I think that there will be cuts, but it will be offset by larger a/c deliveries. That is for the next two years.

Furlough is coming unfortunately.....matter of time.

Normally I would agree - but there are a few things working in our favor: Conversion of the last 7 767-400's to the international configuration (increases staffing requirements for that equipment), more 777 deliveries (each 777 requires way more pilots than one narrowbody), NW changing to DL work and staffing rules (sure this will take a while to go into effect, but must be accounted for long term) and of course the large number of upcoming NW retirements to be followed by a large number of DL retirements. These things will help ofset the decrease in narrowbody flying. If we can make it through the next year or so without furloughs, I think we will be in good shape.

The only thing that keeps me from a good night of sleep is:

1) Oil prices skyrocketing (again),
2) neighbor's dog barking...

I doubt we'll need to furlough unless we see oil prices go back up to the 140 range for an extended period of time.

It's the financial meltdown that worries me. So many pundits talking about a Second Great Depression. If that happens 30% of the pilots in this country will be working at WalMart (the only chain left.)

Sky is falling scenario. The stock market will continue to correct until it reaches 33-40% down from it's highs. Then we will base-build for the next economic expansion. Sure things will be slow for a while but there won't be a depression.

This market correction is extremely healthy for the long-term viability of the world's largest economy. What are witnessing is the efficiency of free-markets working at its best. Pigs get slaughtered.

Latest resources

Back