DAL/NWA pilots RE: furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SS-
What's really funny is all these DAL new hires seem to know more about the NWA HR department/planning than NWA executives.

Schwanker
If the NWA HR department / planning folks are not getting invited to the meetings, then they might should be concerned.

News flash: NWA isn't running the staffing. If they were, there would be furloughs.

Like Fin states, we know about DAL's plans and those are the ones that are going to survives the merger. Once the DCC occurs, the DAL boys and girls will be the ones calling all the shots.

Thanks guys.

Superpilot, do you want to retract your allegation of me spreading BS?

I did not want to name a source, but as others have indicated, there was a meeting with those who staff the airline and what you are reading here is second hand from that meeting.

Exact numbers are still being worked out. 400 NWA pilots put in for the early out package. The Company only wants to accept 80 to 100...
Why would I retract anything? My info is straight from the company and those who deteremine OUR staffing. If we were so overstatfed then why wouldn't the company give out more of the PERPS? Afterall supposedly 400 applied and want out, that number far surpasses the rumored "160-170 surplus" pilots, right? Maybe it's because they know we would be short staffed if they award to many?

Last edited:
by the way fins I wasn't specifically saying you were the one spreading bs. I just prefer actual info that is from the company instead of hearsay presented as fact. Time will tell what actually happens ;)

If we were so overstatfed then why wouldn't the company give out more of the PERPS?
Because they don't want to wipe out the 747A category and also have to deal with everyone who would re-bid and re-train up the stove pipe.

I am guessing that 100 off the top probably results in 500 or more training events. 400 off the top would result in half of NWA going into training as they bid up into vacancies. I am also guessing that the surplus pilots are on the DC9 and other equipment being parked. Just as Delta is a little fat on the 757 because some have been pulled down over the winter season. The glut of pilots isn't in the right place for the PERP to be the perfect solution (from the company's perspective).

... and again, NWA isn't calling the shots on this.

Last edited:
When will the lists actually be integrated? This whole "furloughing" NWA guys and "re-hiring" them at DAL seems like an around about way of stapling the lower end of the NWA list.

After the SLI when their seniority will be determined in the joint company. That is why we singed a LOA preventing the need for the hiring of 50 pilots this fall. It also mean that we did not need to do a temporary displacement to cover the flying.
The end result is no new hires senior to NWA guys at the bottom of the DAL list before the SLI, and the chance of their being issues because of this negated.
Allowing a few guys from NWA go (we want 160, company wants less) now does not do what DAL wants it to do long term. Waiting until they know where the airplanes are going to be based and how DAL will use them saves the company 10's of millions in unneeded training and relocating costs.
Simply put big picture. Having a lot of training that will not behoove the new company makes no sense.

Because they don't want to wipe out the 747A category and also have to deal with everyone who would re-bid and re-train up the stove pipe.

I am guessing that 100 off the top probably results in 500 or more training events. 400 off the top would result in half of NWA going into training as they bid up into vacancies. I am also guessing that the surplus pilots are on the DC9 and other equipment being parked. Just as Delta is a little fat on the 757 because some have been pulled down over the winter season. The glut of pilots isn't in the right place for the PERP to be the perfect solution (from the company's perspective).

... and again, NWA isn't calling the shots on this.

Like i said its because of training bubbles. However the company cant and wont be able to stop people from retiring. When we had the conference call about the PERPs a lot of people expressed that they would be retiring even if they werent awarded a PERP. Also the PERPs werent offered to the Widebody guys so the big question is how many of those senior guys are going to punch out in the next couple months without the PERPS. The training bubble is coming either way in the next few years whether the company wants it or not. This is a period of uncertainty within the HR ranks. Age 65, merger, PERPS, etc have thrown multiple wrenches into the machine that used to be able to plan staffing numbers. The next year will be interesting to say the least.

Hi!

I heard the completion of arbitration for the NWA/DAL SLI is 20 Nov. I hope that NWA and DAL start hiring soon after.

cliff
GRB

Like i said its because of training bubbles. However the company cant and wont be able to stop people from retiring. When we had the conference call about the PERPs a lot of people expressed that they would be retiring even if they werent awarded a PERP. Also the PERPs werent offered to the Widebody guys so the big question is how many of those senior guys are going to punch out in the next couple months without the PERPS. The training bubble is coming either way in the next few years whether the company wants it or not. This is a period of uncertainty within the HR ranks. Age 65, merger, PERPS, etc have thrown multiple wrenches into the machine that used to be able to plan staffing numbers. The next year will be interesting to say the least.

Heyas Super,

The major, MAJOR, fly in this ointment was the number one supremo screw job that the JPWA laid on us, which was the retiree health insurance debacle.

Now, instead of being able to plan for retirements in an orderly way, you have 200-??? guys who are going to try to sharpshoot the system.

Once they get wind of when DCC is going to happen, hundreds will walk away with the absolute minimum notice to the company.

The training bubble is going to happen, just at a worse time, that's all.

Nu

Latest resources

Back