• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL/NWA pilots RE: furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
. Were not furloughing but were also not hiring because NWA was looking to furlough and we were going to train those guys. Source? Just an instructor who drinks beer with those on the 4th floor. Is is true? I

Stand by for confirmation but why do you think DALPA signed a side letter to increase the MD-88 ALV through Mar only? I'm really interested to see how they're going to make this work before the operations are officially combined.

Last edited:
That's funny. I heard from a guy DAL is retiring all those really old 767s and are going to furlough starting 6 January. I hope we can find room for their butts in the NWA fleet.

Schwanker

What "really old" 767s? We got rid of the 767-200s already (like the "Spirit of Delta"). We are supposedly going to move some 767-300ERs to SEA (bumping that A330 base Eastward towards JFK to do AMM, TLV, and CAI) and with winglets fly them all over Asia from SEA, and intra Asia. (Air Canada flies 767ERs from YVR to many points in Asia too) We are also very short on the MD88 (raised the Average Line Value to compensate) and also on the 73NG. I think your guy was "tipsy."

Bye Bye--General Lee

Stand by for confirmation but why do you think DALPA signed a side letter to increase the MD-88 ALV through Mar only? I'm really interested to see how they're going to make this work before the operations are officially combined.

Maybe they will add NWA guys to the MD88 in March, or add newhires (supposedly cheaper than displacements). No swapping of planes until the merging of certificates, and that will take 15-18 months via the FAA.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Oh no Delta will employ over 12,000 pilots=NOT
Delta will KEEP all bases open=NOT
Delta is growing in 08????? 09=????? Not at 100.00 oil

And trust me my source----in the top 40 mgt side...told you weeks before DFW was closing....

Oh no Delta will employ over 12,000 pilots=NOT
Delta will KEEP all bases open=NOT
Delta is growing in 08????? 09=????? Not at 100.00 oil

And trust me my source----in the top 40 mgt side...told you weeks before DFW was closing....

We know your RJ will likely go away, CVG will downsize, and we will be the biggest airline. The problem with your $100 a barrel oil theory is that most other airlines cannot budget for that high of oil. We can. We budgeted for the remainder of this year at $120 a barrel oil, and I was told by a CP that next year was budgeted at $140 a barrel. He said if oil went higher (like $150 a barrel) we would have to go one way, vs if it went lower to $100 a barrel, it would "open more doors." Your source sounds "tipsy" too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Rumor alert.....

I heard from a guy who heard from a guy who....

Anyway, I'm in the school house now and I joked about getting a shiny new 757/767 type rating right before I get furloughed. The instructor said not to worry. Were not furloughing but were also not hiring because NWA was looking to furlough and we were going to train those guys. Source? Just an instructor who drinks beer with those on the 4th floor. Is is true? I wouldn't bet my house on it. Just wanted to add some fuel to the fire.

(happy to be done with the Md-88)

Not really rumor. This was brought up at a meeting in LAX by RA and ES about hiring. Their take is we need to hire nwa needs to furlough. So we need to find a way to work the nwa guys in so they don't get furloughed. And this needs to happen soon.
We parked 10 to 20 plans but also have taken on that many in new aircraft and a few more. nwa is going to park 47 aircraft and not replacing many of them.
We're going to be short staffed with more 777 coming within the next 6 months.

Thanks guys.

Superpilot, do you want to retract your allegation of me spreading BS?

I did not want to name a source, but as others have indicated, there was a meeting with those who staff the airline and what you are reading here is second hand from that meeting.

Exact numbers are still being worked out. 400 NWA pilots put in for the early out package. The Company only wants to accept 80 to 100, and ALPA is pushing for 160. I have not heard what the final number is. Also ANC is a serious money loser, look for something else to fill those NRT slots.

NWA "needs to furlough" 160 to 170, but that is not happening because Delta needs to hire more than 2that. Hiring Delta guys while NWA was furloughing would be a problem in several areas, so Delta is trying to figure out how to make this work. We don't know what the plan is, a lot depends on the SLI. But, one interim solution is to run the MD88 below minimum staffing levels to keep some slots open.

In balance, the MD88 ALV SLOA also keeps Delta from doing a short term displacement off the 757/767 domestic to cover the shortfall.

IMHO they might should have structured this so the MD88 pilots get premium flying pay for covering this until March. In any event, there will be a good opportunity to make serious money on the MD88 for reserve guys that fly greenslips. 140+ hours will be possible under the right conditions.

Last edited:
I can tell you unequivocally that what FIN states is correct.
We will grow and shrink in the next few years but the net gain will be positive.
If you connect the dots there is a need to have NWA furlough, and DAL hire. The fact that this LOA was singed shows that we want there to be no new hires senior to the NWA guy on the bottom of the DAL list.
Look at the facts. Look at what is going on and realize that the plan you are looking at is an old one.
We are planning on hiring next year after the SLI and the staffing issues are dealt with. It is a plan. It may change.
Also NWA's routes et al do not need to be in compliance with DAL PBS min staffing formula for 36 months. That my friends is a long time.

What "really old" 767s? We got rid of the 767-200s already (like the "Spirit of Delta"). We are supposedly going to move some 767-300ERs to SEA (bumping that A330 base Eastward towards JFK to do AMM, TLV, and CAI) and with winglets fly them all over Asia from SEA, and intra Asia. (Air Canada flies 767ERs from YVR to many points in Asia too) We are also very short on the MD88 (raised the Average Line Value to compensate) and also on the 73NG. I think your guy was "tipsy."

Bye Bye--General Lee

SS-
The point is one rumor is every bit as credible as the next. What's really funny is all these DAL new hires seem to know more about the NWA HR department/planning than NWA executives. I guess if you spread a good rumor with others who believe same said rumor will propel their personnel position, it makes them feel a bit more worthy. I figured you'd see the sarcasm in my post. Point is, all these "know it alls" know a lot less than they portray.

Schwanker

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back