DAL DC9's?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly4hire

Heard from a friend that the latest discussion Re: DC9's is that RA wants to pull 25 back out of the desert and add back into the mix (~93 total vs 68) while parking up to 70 more RJ's. Anyone else hear this?

More real NB's and less RJ's are always better....

Heard from a friend that the latest discussion Re: DC9's is that RA wants to pull 25 back out of the desert and add back into the mix (~93 total vs 68) while parking up to 70 more RJ's. Anyone else hear this?

I understand there is some consideration of a plan to add aircraft to "absorb" some displacements after the first of the year.

Just "plans" at this point.

From AJC 09/02/08 article. He can't shrink and do this.Anderson said Delta must grow revenues 8 to 12 percent a year while
improving cost efficiency by 5 percent a year - even when it's cutting back
flight capacity. Delta can accomplish that, he said, through the Northwest
acquisition, and through growth of other businesses such as cargo and
maintenance.

He hopes Delta will be consistently profitable by 2010.

Agreed that more NB's are better, but from a numbers standpoint, buying a more efficient jet is the answer.

Where are the MD90's?

In China with the AD's all written in Chinese. Needless to say there are probably some issues that need to be worked out.
Look for that answer to come out after DCC.

In China with the AD's all written in Chinese. Needless to say there are probably some issues that need to be worked out.

We are actually interested in 20 or so from Saudia Airlines. They have 28 for sale, and I don't know of any other buyers. I am sure the China MD90s and the Japanese MD90s (from JAS) are still out there too. Someone told me that there are 5 of them out there in the desert (our desert, not Saudia Arabia) already waiting. They will be used as a stop gap until the next generation 737/787 wannabe comes along. Also, I heard that some of the MD90s will go to MSP, while some A320s go to SLC. All rumors, of course......

Bye Bye--General Lee

If true, that would be very odd. The Civil Aviation Administration of China has bilateral airworthiness agreements with our FAA, which establishes the State where the licensing manufacturer is located establishes in coordination with the FAA and CAAC the basis and conditions for ongoing maintenance of the aircraft's certification.

In plain engrish, this means MDD/Boeing writes up the procedure, the FAA reviews and approves and it is passed along to the Chinese who put their seal of approval on it.

Also, these jets do not have logbooks in the way we think of them. They have enormous computer databases.

The loss of a logbook would effectively result in the airplane being a "total loss." To safeguard against such a possibility these electronic records are typically maintained both at the operator's facility and a copy is maintained by Boeing. I doubt the computer technology exists to store these records in a Chinese dialect. Even the French have been known to resort to English in this situation.

There might be some concerns that the Chinese failed to follow some procedures correctly, but I would be shocked to learn that they let the Certification Basis for their aircraft lapse. If that's the case they could only operate them domestically.

The last case of such a documentation snafu I heard about involved an AeroMexico DeHavilland Comet IV, which I think is still in the Seattle area.

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cer...greements/baa_basa_listing/media/ChinaBAA.pdf

Last edited:

With oil now below $110, it is WELL within the profitability band for the DC-9 considering the fare increases of the last 8 months.

No morgage, no training issues, no parts issues, no spool up time or waiting for deliveries. It's cash on tap.

If RA sees opportunity to bring out the old NWA playbook to hammer someone in ATL, you can bet he will. He understands the the principal of "hub premium" very well.

I'll be adding ATLCADC9B to my card in PENTRY as soon as it lets me.

Nu

Last edited:

Actually, what I heard, was that 86 B-727's will be re-engined as twins, using the same engine as the 737-800, and then flown to replace the RJ's...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Delta-Air-Lines/Convair-880-22-2/1249115/L/

No Delta announced Convair 990's. We are going to beat DaTranny on raw speed. As they say in the land of NASCAR, "Watch my smoke!"

No place to even input a cost index on those bad boys. Mach .96 cruise B A B Y ! Atilla had better get those pokey Boeings outta the way on the old Rome arrival.

Ron Allen was quoted as saying, "the DC9 isn't cost competitive anyway, so instead of matching them at twice the operational cost, we'll beat them at four times the operational cost." In related news, AirTran stock is up over 9% on the day.

Jerry Atkin, President of SkyWest Airlines Inc., pointed out, "if you removed one row of the Convair's seats, this airplane could be operated under current scope limitations... The $16 an hour savings in crew costs and the reduced block times make this compelling." After several SkyWest stockholders passed out in St. George Utah, he revived their spirits by reminding them, "fuel is a pass through cost."

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back