• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL DC9's?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MKE is a city of 1.6 million people. It is a lot bigger than people realize.
Putting out code on a MEH flight does the same thing that putting our code on an ASA, Air France, KLM, or NWA flight does. It allows people to book Delta tickets on it. (Look out below)

Fact is that DAL has the ability to smooth out the higher operating cost of the 9's with their revenue from the International ops.

Drinkin' Kool-Aid?

Delta is hemorrhaging sh!tloads of cash. It is not making money from "International Ops."

Just like Song was a huge flop, so was the international expansion.

MKE is a city of 1.6 million people. It is a lot bigger than people realize.
Putting out code on a MEH flight does the same thing that putting our code on an ASA, Air France, KLM, or NWA flight does. It allows people to book Delta tickets on it. (Look out below)

No, I think you are also thinking way too much about this. MKE is not a large city of interest, since NWA has failed there a few times, and the only INTL service it has is from Toronto. Midwest is SHRINKING. The planes are getting smaller, and they will have fewer. Sure, people can book tickets on us via them, but that is the nature of a codeshare. If MKE businessmen want to fly to Rio, then they can fly a Midwest E170 to ATL, and then connect onto our 767ER. Before that codeshare, they probably would have taken an Eagle E145 to ORD, caught an AA 757 to MIA, and then an AA 767ER to Rio. Now, we can capture that ellusive MKE businessman.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Drinkin' Kool-Aid?

Delta is hemorrhaging sh!tloads of cash. It is not making money from "International Ops."

Just like Song was a huge flop, so was the international expansion.

HUH? I think you are wrong. I guess you didn't see that we had a profit this Summer, and overall we had a profit last year. I think you are smoking some weed. Get off the computer and go to bed, it's past your bedtime.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Rumor number 2.....

ER category doing more domestic and Lubbock layovers are on the horizon.....

"That Bill Lumberg-----Fantastically funny.....Three thumbs up"---General Lee

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General:

There are several angles to this.

First, alarm bells should be going off that airlines are replacing 717's with E170's. That tells you what management thinks of the E170, they prefer it to a 717. (now do the math on a DC9, or MD88 and you realize why I keep an eye on the numbers)

Second, MKE is a de-facto hub which is undergoing a transition from competition to outsourcing via codeshare. MKE serves Montreal, Pittsburgh, Detroit, MSP, Souix Falls, Grand Forks, Grand Rapids, Washington, Atlanta, Little Rock, Orlando, Cancun, Memphis, Baton Rouge, Austin, Phoenix, Colorado Springs, Vegas, Grand Rapids, San Diego and San Francisco.

It is similar to the feed Alaska provides Seattle. (I'd like to compare the numbers for AK pax and ASA pax, we might learn that Alaska's about to be a de-facto DCI carrier).

It is not an "inter galactic" hub, but it is enough of a threat to Detroit that NWA paid to climb in bed & keep AAI out.

We don't compete with our codeshare partners, we just put our passengers on their airplanes.

Third, Delta is a owner of MidWest (or will be soon)

Fourth, if Delta were to furlough, these large RJ's are not subject to the scope limits, or scope sanctions.

It isn't the end of the World, but it does illustrate how there are some end runs that management can make around our scope unless we start scoping flying in.

Fins,

Let's look at the potential SEA ER base and the Alaska codeshare you are worried about. First, what does NWA have at SEA now? Here it is for SEP:

INTL--1 daily A332 to NRT, along with an additional A330-300 on Monday and Saturdays. One daily flight to AMS via an A332, that continues onto Mumbai. One daily A332 to LHR. So, there are normally 3 daily A330s, with an extra one twice a week.

DOM--3 757s daily to DTW, 6 daily 757s to MSP, 1 A319 to MEM, 1 753 to HNL, 1 753 to Kahului.

That's it. Not bad, and a fairly small pilot base for A330s I would imagine.

I can only assume that our future ER base there (from rumors I have heard from high ups) would be modeled off of Air Canada's Vancouver base, since they use 767ERs too on some Asian routes, and they are right up the road in YVR. Let's see where Air Canada goes to Asia from YVR: Beijing(7ER),Hong Kong (A343),Osaka (7ER), Seoul(7ER),Shanghai(7ER),Sydney(77LR),and Tokyo(A333).

So, they go to 7 cities in Asia (including Sydney), along with Hawaii. I can see us adding 5 or 6 additional flights from SEA, probably using ERs that are pulled from JFK when we replace them with A332s that go to Cairo, Amman, and Tel Aviv eventually. We may add a few more cities too, like Nagoya, or Guangzhou, whatever is thought could be profitable. What I am stating here is that we will probably feed SEA from all of our hubs (including JFK, LAX, CVG, DTW, MSP, ATL, MEM, and SLC) with 757s or bigger, and throw on any possible connections from a codeshare partner like Alaska Air (although SEA may have a lot of O&D traffic for Asian pax), and I don't see that big of a deal. How many seats total for 5 or 6 ERs that will already be fed from our own inbound planes from our own hubs? I don't see a huge codeshare with AK, but hey, it will help fill the seats with high paying pax. That is good.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Rumor number 2.....

ER category doing more domestic and Lubbock layovers are on the horizon.....

Actually I've heard that the ER category and domestic category might become one category. CAL does it this way and it requires lots less reserve guys. I guess the cost savings is worth training everyone. I think CAL even has the 767-400 in their 75/6 category. Wouldn't it make sense for us to have just one category instead of three?

Actually I've heard that the ER category and domestic category might become one category. CAL does it this way and it requires lots less reserve guys. I guess the cost savings is worth training everyone. I think CAL even has the 767-400 in their 75/6 category. Wouldn't it make sense for us to have just one category instead of three?

The NWA 757 guys fly both INTL and DOM, and you have to wonder how they would seperate it if they decided not to do it there too. I guess they could rebid the categories for MSP and DTW also, but that would be a waste. I would much rather have a combined INTL and DOM 757/767 category like NWA. I hope we adopt their way of thinking on that. The ATL ER already flies domestic trips in the Winter when there isn't enough Europe flying to go around.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Management would love it. Less reserve guys = less pilots. Less pilots = not good.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back