• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL 767 lands taxiway M at ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It could have been a bad day here in ATL. It will be investigated and a report put out. There are a lot of extenuating and and contributing circumstances with this one.

Don't Ever Land There Again

Why not label taxiways as taxiways from an aerial perspective so this doesn't happen again? It's easy to mark a runway 9L in white. Why not label a parallel taxiway as T A X I in yellow? Either that or put a big X just short of where it begins...

That's what Palm Beach (PBI) finally had to do with taxiway "L" after so many people mistook it for the smaller, parallel runway 9R. Even spelling out "T-A-X-I-W-A-Y" in huge letters didn't work, so they camouflaged the sides to blend in with the grass from an aerial perspective, making it look much narrower. That was a couple of years ago, and I think it did help, but there are still people that land on Lima every once in awhile.

Didn't American or Alaska Airlines land on a taxiway in back in the late 90s?

I just think it's cool that we, "major" airline pilots can land on a taxiway and not hurt anyone. Try that you regional dudes.

Here is a whole pageful of wrong landings! Just remember, when you're pointing your finger at someone, there are 3 more pointing back at you!

http://www.thirdamendment.com/wrongway.html

From your link, this one sure is a humdinger!

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]March 31, 1952 - A private aircraft, bound for Teterboro Airport in New Jersey, mistakenly lands at Newark Airport. (The aircraft was piloted by Merrill C. Meigs, who was at that time a consultant to the Civil Aeronautics Administration, and was the namesake of now-closed Meigs Field in Chicago, Illinois.) See "Newark Has Air Visitor," New York Times, April 1, 1952.[/FONT]

Didn't American or Alaska Airlines land on a taxiway in back in the late 90s?

I just think it's cool that we, "major" airline pilots can land on a taxiway and not hurt anyone. Try that you regional dudes.

:laugh:

It could have been a bad day here in ATL. It will be investigated and a report put out. There are a lot of extenuating and and contributing circumstances with this one.

There is always a chain leading to the link that breaks.

A friend of my father who is a heart surgeon was asking me about the Comair accident in Lex a while back, he asked if there weren't procedures and instrumentation that would alert the pilots that they are where they aren't supposed to be, I said of course but although I think that this shouldn't have happened if the procedures where followed I can understand how it could happen, It is the same with you analyzing other doctors that operate and leave utensils behind during an operation, you guys have a team of folks that are counting the tools that they give you and they should have the same count before the sutures at the end of the operation but you still know how it could happen right? He replied, absolutely, that is why I try not to criticize my fellow doctors and instead try to learn from these events. I thought to myself, If only pilots would have the same philosophy

Actually we all can BID. A few years ago 9R/27L was being redone in ATL and everyone landed on twy R using the ILS on the closed rwy (9R/27L) and then sliding over to land on R. ASA also did it years ago in BQK while the rwy there was being redone. Nuthin' to it! :D

Hoser
Roll Tide!

Latest resources

Back