• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CVG-A real ghost town.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Talked to a mid level CVG airport management type the other day. He said the sweetheart deal Delta has with the airport which basically prevents any new airline from serving CVG (deal gives Delta the same discounts airports usually use to entice new service) is going to expire in a little less than 2 years. Once that happens, hello Jetblue, SWA or Airtran. According to him anyway.

Ah the memories.....

Talked to a mid level CVG airport management type the other day. He said the sweetheart deal Delta has with the airport which basically prevents any new airline from serving CVG (deal gives Delta the same discounts airports usually use to entice new service) is going to expire in a little less than 2 years. Once that happens, hello Jetblue, SWA or Airtran. According to him anyway.

Reminds me of when DFW was a Delta hub and during the BK they asked the airport for a deal from it's gate rental fees and DFW said no dice. Then when DAL said ok, we'll shut it down, DFW was offering SWA free rent for 5 years and like $25 million worth of advertising if they would move their non-hub, hub from LUV to DFW.
I know everyone is like, hooray, lets give away free space from the majors to an LCC so that we can "stimulate" more traffic by giving away seats for free. I still fail to see why an airport needs to have more traffic? I mean, maybe CVG is a 75 flight a day (all airlines combined) airport, and hub status is not assured. If the economy were to pick up and DAL wanted to expand by 25%, I'm sure they would have to look at where they had the space, but in this market, they are probably being responsible.
LUV

Just read it again....

Oh, so it's a "sweetheart" deal that one airline doesn't want to pay the bills for the others. The rent should be the same, this is just a case of where DAL stood up for itself and said we are paying the bills while you give our competition a free ride.

All airport operators care about is pax volume. More pax, more concessions revenue, more parking revenue, more tax revenue.

A hangar or two would boost employment as well.

God bless boy. CVG is a medium market that does not fully support a full service carrier except to a few cities. DAL will serve those.

We have a very defined business plan, and it states what we will and will not do. One of them is flying to cities that do not work for our business model. I would not want to be at DCI, that hammer is falling and fast.

Does this "very defined business plan" include misleading (to put it mildly) congress about "keeping all of the hubs of the two airlines?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTxrm7hdIc8

-Check out 4:45 if you think I am full of it!

(We all know DAL had planned big things for CVG-and not just for regionals.)

Last edited:
Does this "very defined business plan" include misleading (to put it mildly) congress about "keeping all of the hubs of the two airlines?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTxrm7hdIc8

-Check out 4:45 if you think I am full of it!

(We all know DAL had planned big things for CVG-and not just for regionals.)

We all know you are full of it.
Don't worry though, I'm sure there is enough business men looking for $5 fellacio there, so you'll have plenty of work!

Latest resources

Back