• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRM question - Captain/FO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It really depends on the FO's experience and performance. I will let them have the whole operation if they can handle it. I cannot tolerate cockiness or any sort of chip on the shoulder. I always start out laid back, and continue until I cannot due to lack of performance by my FO. Same as a previous poster ... if I have to remind an FO that I am the PIC then it's probably going to be a bad trip. Dumbass won't even know why either.
I think thats the best attitude to have, I always operated the same way from the left seat and had to pull rank maybe twice in 14 years.

Can someone tell me more about their encounter with either a micromanaging captain or overbearing FO and how did you handle it? If you were a captain, how did you approach the FO's being overbearing and if you were an FO, how did you deal with a micromanaging captain?

What I'm getting at is how do you deal with those situations individually - do you clam up, do you wait until you're on the ground and then talk, do you talk over a beer, how do you address the problem?

That's my biggest pet peeve. I hate it when a Captain does that. It's ok, I'm still 9 miles out, I'll call for the gear as we get a little closer. Putting your hand on the gear lever and leaving it that way is just annoying. Same goes for the flaps. It's like, I know we have to put flaps down, you don't need to remind me. I'm still 20 miles from the airport. Ugh.

My worse story is when I told a Captain my name, he asked me to say it again, because I think he couldn't pronounce it. I said it again. He still didn't get it. Instead, he goes, "You see this? [he pointed to his fourth stripe]... that means I can call you whatever the hell I want!"

Yeah, that was meeting for our very first leg together. Talk about a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG trip.

did u wipe the sand out of your vah jay jay?

gear up shut up

i defenitly wasn't an english major and my spelling is hurendus but as long as you get the message. i agree it is my job to help the flight continue safely but what about the new FO that dosen't know any better and just assumes the captian is right and lets the flight get out of control.

I am an F/O at a regional. If the captain trys to take charge, I just tell him i'm going to twist him into a pretzel when we get on the ground. I make sure i'm the one making the decisions. Just because this Geek sitting next to me got here first doesn't mean I have to listen to him. One time I had to karate chop some clown right in the chops because he told me I was to high. I said oh ya. Crack right across the chops. Before the flight was over he was calling me Sir. I know this type of CRM is unorthodox but it works!!!!

My brief includes that we don't want to get violated or killed

That reminds me of another story!

I flew with a Capt (Capt Griffith) once who gave this brief: "Son, I just operate by "Griffith's Law".

Of course I asked: What's Griffith's Law"?

He said: It's when I turn 60 and go into the Chief pilots office to say "I'm Capt Griffith and I'm retiring"!

And the Chief Pilot replies: Who's Capt Griffith?

I am an F/O at a regional. If the captain trys to take charge, I just tell him i'm going to twist him into a pretzel when we get on the ground. I make sure i'm the one making the decisions. Just because this Geek sitting next to me got here first doesn't mean I have to listen to him. One time I had to karate chop some clown right in the chops because he told me I was to high. I said oh ya. Crack right across the chops. Before the flight was over he was calling me Sir. I know this type of CRM is unorthodox but it works!!!!
Sure you did.....
So let me get this straight,
You have one of those blow up Otto pilots that I saw on the airplane movie seated next to you while you play on flight sim?
And you "whacked him"?
Did mommy pick up your bowl of chips and clean up your glass of milk when you knocked them over during your "CRM Encounter"?
:laugh:

check out movie at 1min. & 1 sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdEmmXiB7ew

1 min & 28 sec is even better....

enjoy the blowup doll lightdriver.....

Last edited:
i defiantly wasn't an English major and my spelling is horrendous but as long as you get the message. i agree it is my job to help the flight continue safely but what about the new FO that doesn't know any better and just assumes the captain is right and lets the flight get out of control.

good point.... i guess that when you make the front page or hopefully just learn a good scary lesson....

He said: It's when I turn 60 and go into the Chief pilots office to say "I'm Capt Griffith and I'm retiring"!

Ah, I long for the good ole days...

did u wipe the sand out of your vah jay jay?

gear up shut up

What the hell is a vah jay jay? "Gear up, shut up?" You sound like that Korean Air Captain who ignored his FO and treated him like crap. Coming into Guam... FO: "Captain, no runway, go around." Capt: [silent] FO: "Go around, go around!" Capt: [uhmg] FO: "Go around captain." Captain does nothing. Typical Mr. "Gear up, shut up."

What happened next? Crash. 747 plows into ground. Hundreds killed, many injured.

Nice to see you're that kind of Captain. I feel bad for anyone who flies with you.

And keep in mind that FO who nods at what you say, looks at the window and rolls his eyes when you're done sharing your God's gift of aviation.

Latest resources

Back