CRM question - Captain/FO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flashbang

I'm putting together a Recurrent CRM discussion and want some input with regards FO's when they are PF's.

For captains:

How much latitude do you give an experienced FO when it comes to making certain decisions during their leg such as climb/descent speeds, picking an altitude, going direct somewhere, deciding which way to deviate around weather, when to configure, etc.? How often do you fly with an overconfident/overbearing FO? How do you deal with them - do you let them hang themselves, or do you tell them what to do?

For FO's: How often do you fly with overbearing captains? How do you deal with a captain you perceive as a micromanager? Ever find yourself clamming up when flying with someone you perceive as overbearing or micromanager?

Any situations or stories are greatly appreciated!

I'm putting together a Recurrent CRM discussion and want some input with regards FO's when they are PF's.

For captains:

How much latitude do you give an experienced FO when it comes to making certain decisions during their leg such as climb/descent speeds, picking an altitude, going direct somewhere, deciding which way to deviate around weather, when to configure, etc.? How often do you fly with an overconfident/overbearing FO? How do you deal with them - do you let them hang themselves, or do you tell them what to do?

For FO's: How often do you fly with overbearing captains? How do you deal with a captain you perceive as a micromanager? Ever find yourself clamming up when flying with someone you perceive as overbearing or micromanager?

Straight out of our FOM.

"When the FO is acting as PF, the Captain shall perform the PNF duties and not countermand the FO's decisions, unless he considers that flight safety, regulations, or SOP's are being compromised".

I don't fly for a major, but I am a Captain a large regional.

When it's my FOs leg, I ask them about directs, altitude changes, which way to go with the weather, even whether or not to turn the seat belt sign off. I want them to be thinking like Captains and be ready for when they eventually get that seat.

When it's my leg, I ask them what they think about weather deviations and other decisions.

I always remember the guys that asked my input on stuff. Unfortunately, in my time as an FO, it happened rarely. I hated getting micromanaged and therefore swore I would never do it to my FOs.

Captains are supposed to mentor their FOs. I'm helping shape a future Captain. I'd prefer it if they don't fly around with their heads up their butts for the few years they're in the right seat. You're a crew for God's sake. Work like one!

As far as overbearing FOs, I've only had a few, thank God. When the situation came up, I calmly told them my position and that they need to watch themselves. I didn't yell or get upset. I just warned them that one day they will most likely fly with someone that would rip them up one side and down the other for actions like that. I treat like a learning experience. Hopefully they took my words to heart.

Straight out of our FOM.

"When the FO is acting as PF, the Captain shall perform the PNF duties and not countermand the FO's decisions, unless he considers that flight safety, regulations, or SOP's are being compromised".

That is a damn fine FOM. My company could use a copy.

PIPE

I recently flew with a captain who seems to subscribe to the practice that the left seat makes all operational calls regardless of who's flying. Interestingly enough, this captain was telling me how he recently flew with an FO who wouldn't make any decisions which sounded kind of strange considering that FO's background (regional captain and sim instructor). After flying with this captain, I know why the FO wouldn't "make any decisions." He'd get overriden, so he figures why not make the stud captain make all calls and save himself some dignity.

When I was a commuter captain, I'd always let my FO's make all operational decisions even if I disagreed with them, as long as they weren't safety-of-flight or legality issues, but I'd give them plenty of rope to hang themselves with because that's how they'll learn and be effective down the road.

For captains:

Please move this to the regional board!

[insert rolly-eyes]

Please move this to the regional board!

Yeah! We all no CRM discussions have no place on the Majors board!

Here's my brief ...

When it is your leg you make ALL the operational decisions ... If I feel compelled to assert myself there will be no doubt in your mind why we are going in a different direction.

In a total of 17 years in the left seat I have had to do this exactly two times ... (1) one for braking action where I ASKED him to use a higher setting due to local knowledge of the 'braking action reports' and (2) Strongly advised not to shoot a straight in (8kt TW) to a runway I believed was still wet. We went to the far end of the field and shot an ILS ... yes I burned a few extra pounds of fuel.

THAT IS IT !

And by the way ... from my way of thinking (s)he is not your FO ... they are the company's FO. I don't know why this bugs me like it does but it smacks of arrogance.

Latest resources

Back