CRM question - Captain/FO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's my brief ...

When it is your leg you make ALL the operational decisions ... If I feel compelled to assert myself there will be no doubt in your mind why we are going in a different direction.

In a total of 17 years in the left seat I have had to do this exactly two times ... (1) one for braking action where I ASKED him to use a higher setting due to local knowledge of the 'braking action reports' and (2) Strongly advised not to shoot a straight in (8kt TW) to a runway I believed was still wet. We went to the far end of the field and shot an ILS ... yes I burned a few extra pounds of fuel.

THAT IS IT !

And by the way ... from my way of thinking (s)he is not your FO ... they are the company's FO. I don't know why this bugs me like it does but it smacks of arrogance.
I'm a brand new CA and that's what I try to do. But when I get downgraded can I fly with you?

Back when I was a 767 F/O in the mid-nineties I flew with a great guy who had a very quick brief.

He said with a smirk on his face: "Here's the line down the middle of the cockpit, everything on this side is mine. Everything on that side is mine too!"

Just say "No"; and when he puts his hand back in his lap say: "Gear Down"!

Better just not say anything and see just how long he'll leave his hand on the gear. I used to love the look of frustration while he holds it waiting for the gear down command.

Last edited:
I know what you guys are saying BUT if the captain thinks you need the gear......... you need the gear. I'd rather push you to drop the gear and configure 200 feet early than go around and cost the company $2,000 in fuel.

I don't do the "long reach" but I do verbalize when I think you're pushing it too deep.

Call me an overbearing butthole but I feel like I'm managing the flight deck by clearly telling you what I'm thinking and saving the company money.

Gup

I know what you guys are saying BUT if the captain thinks you need the gear......... you need the gear. I'd rather push you to drop the gear and configure 200 feet early than go around and cost the company $2,000 in fuel.

I don't do the "long reach" but I do verbalize when I think you're pushing it too deep.

Call me an overbearing butthole but I feel like I'm managing the flight deck by clearly telling you what I'm thinking and saving the company money.

Gup

I don't think anyone is arguing that. We all know what the POH and procedures are and when the plane must be in the landing config, but some of these folks that we are talking about want the gear out so early on the approach just because it gives them a chance to tell you what to do and being a prick about it grabbing the handle.

Like you said, "Maybe a simple "you ready for the gear" without the hand on the Handle would seem a tad better."

This is why I like it when the Captain operates the first leg. However he/she operates, that's how I'll operate...right, wrong or somewhere in the middle. Go along to get along.

Any discussion about me doing something that he/she doesn't like or doesn't want is just wasted breath. Drop the gear early, go around a cell to the left instead of the right, fly slow, fly fast...whatever. The captain signed for it and gets compensated to make the decisions. I'm just there to keep the sun off the engineer. :laugh:

This is why I like it when the Captain operates the first leg. However he/she operates, that's how I'll operate...right, wrong or somewhere in the middle. Go along to get along.

Any discussion about me doing something that he/she doesn't like or doesn't want is just wasted breath. Drop the gear early, go around a cell to the left instead of the right, fly slow, fly fast...whatever. The captain signed for it and gets compensated to make the decisions. I'm just there to keep the sun off the engineer. :laugh:

I am sure we all try to do that and your right it does make the trip easier. But we all know and remember about 1 or 2 Captains in our careers that we would have loved to plant a foot in their a$$.

Even though he signed for it doesn't allow you to let him drive you into the ground does it? If your gonna use the right, wrong in the middle then your setting yourself up.

First Time you screw up and the FAA gets in on it, I am sure they are gonna like the "I was flying Kinda in the Middle because thats how my Captain Likes it".. LOL

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back