• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRM question - Captain/FO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know what you guys are saying BUT if the captain thinks you need the gear......... you need the gear. I'd rather push you to drop the gear and configure 200 feet early than go around and cost the company $2,000 in fuel.

I don't do the "long reach" but I do verbalize when I think you're pushing it too deep.

Call me an overbearing butthole but I feel like I'm managing the flight deck by clearly telling you what I'm thinking and saving the company money.

Gup

Being a little new on the 73......

If the Capt. thinks you need the gear, you needed the gear a few seconds ago.....

It's one of the only anchors you got on this bird.

Sure there are nice ways of suggesting it and hopefully the more experienced guy in the left seat is going to be professional about it.... if not get over it already. It's not really playtime when you are trying to slow better than 100k pounds of sheet metal down.

Last edited:
My peeve is captain's who change radio frequencies on the ground when they're the only one with steering control, and in the air when they're flying without automation. What the hey? I got little enough to do. Ya got to do the radios, too! Think maybe ya oughtta watch where you're taxiing?

Captain gets to taxi, fly a leg, taxi; then taxi, watch FO fly a leg, then taxi. The FO gets to touch the machine 1/6th of the time. Could you just leave the radio alone and fly/taxi the plane?

Last edited:
My peeve is captain's who change radio frequencies on the ground when they're the only one with steering control, and in the air when they're flying without automation. What the hey? I got little enough to do. Ya got to do the radios, too! Think maybe ya oughtta watch where you're taxiing?

Captain gets to taxi, fly a leg, taxi; then taxi, watch FO fly a leg, then taxi. The FO gets to touch the machine 1/6th of the time. Could you just leave the radio alone?

That never bothered me. Hell, if he wants to do all the work then go for it. You know what, if he wants to fly every leg he can do that too.

"my" FO or "the" FO doesn't bother me.

Co-pilot bothers me for some reason though. Its kinda like you're not a "real" pilot yet. You're a "co" pilot. :rolleyes:

I flew with one captain who referred to me as the "co-captain' on the PA. A little over the top, but he was good to his FO's.

I know what you guys are saying BUT if the captain thinks you need the gear......... you need the gear. I'd rather push you to drop the gear and configure 200 feet early than go around and cost the company $2,000 in fuel.

I don't do the "long reach" but I do verbalize when I think you're pushing it too deep.

Call me an overbearing butthole but I feel like I'm managing the flight deck by clearly telling you what I'm thinking and saving the company money.

Gup

I actually saw that in action in one of your jumpseats once going to ONT from LAS. Brand new F/O...we're high and fast and the captain finally said.."Might I recommend the Dunlops?"....

Back when I was a 767 F/O in the mid-nineties I flew with a great guy who had a very quick brief.

He said with a smirk on his face: "Here's the line down the middle of the cockpit, everything on this side is mine. Everything on that side is mine too!"

OK, close your eyes. Everything you see is yours, everything else is mine.

Don't be the captain that grabs the gear handle and says, "are you ready for the gear"?

That's my biggest pet peeve. I hate it when a Captain does that. It's ok, I'm still 9 miles out, I'll call for the gear as we get a little closer. Putting your hand on the gear lever and leaving it that way is just annoying. Same goes for the flaps. It's like, I know we have to put flaps down, you don't need to remind me. I'm still 20 miles from the airport. Ugh.

The better one I got was..."Close your eyes. Everything you see is yours. Open your eyes. Everything you see is mine. Don't touch my s**t." Unfortunately, I flew with a few guys at my last carrier that were serious with that brief.

My worse story is when I told a Captain my name, he asked me to say it again, because I think he couldn't pronounce it. I said it again. He still didn't get it. Instead, he goes, "You see this? [he pointed to his fourth stripe]... that means I can call you whatever the hell I want!"

Yeah, that was meeting for our very first leg together. Talk about a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG trip.

I know what you guys are saying BUT if the captain thinks you need the gear......... you need the gear.

Bull. I would agree if the copilot is new in the airplane, but after he's been flying it for a while, he knows how to handle the plane. He doesn't need the Captain prompting him on everything. Most of the guys who do this prompting nonsense are the guys who slow to 170 knots 20 nm out and expect you to do the same. Sorry, but I have no intention of making the controller's day suck that bad.

That's my biggest pet peeve. I hate it when a Captain does that. It's ok, I'm still 9 miles out, I'll call for the gear as we get a little closer. Putting your hand on the gear lever and leaving it that way is just annoying. Same goes for the flaps. It's like, I know we have to put flaps down, you don't need to remind me. I'm still 20 miles from the airport. Ugh.

The suggestion from somebody else above is the best one on this: just sit there and don't say anything. Make them sit there with their hand on the gear handle looking like a dumbass. After a few legs they'll get the point.

My worse story is when I told a Captain my name, he asked me to say it again, because I think he couldn't pronounce it. I said it again. He still didn't get it. Instead, he goes, "You see this? [he pointed to his fourth stripe]... that means I can call you whatever the hell I want!"

Yeah, that was meeting for our very first leg together. Talk about a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG trip.

Oh, you've gotta PM me who that was! :)

Latest resources

Back