• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ or ERJ - which one do you prefer?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jetlink, I'm curious about not having an airstair door. I'm not totally sure but I thought that the airstair door was part of a certification requirement for evacuations on the airplane. Otherwise a slide of some kind is needed. Is that what the ERJs have that don't have airstair doors? I understand that the reason why the CRJ-700 looks like it sits high up on it's rear wheels and low on the nose is for this requirement. It has an airstair door which Canadair wanted to keep. If the door entry way was just a little bit higher up then certification requirements would require the installation of a slide, something that Canadair considered more expensive. Just curious what the ERJ has.

Those aircraft numbers above are very interesting and informative. Thanks for posting them.

Another reason I believe for the attitude on the 70 is to keep the same site picture as the 50 seater

Uhhh...If you believe that the CRJ is a stretch Challenger, you would be incorrect. The Canadair folks will be the first to tell you that, also. It's made with its own tooling, on its own line.

Just a point of order to clarify.

I fly 145s with and without airstairs. I prefer not having the airstairs for a few reasons. Many 145s have a problem closing the airstairs all the way when the doors have been opened for more than 5 minutes when it is cold outside- the door actually changes shape enough to not close until it has been up for a while with the heat on full blast. The airstairs also can be a pain in the butt when the hydraulic accumulator which is supposed to be good for 4 door closings, works like normal- 2 to 3 times- and then you have to get back into the cockpit to turn on the number 1 hydraulic pump to recharge the accumulator. The jetway doors do not require any hydraulics. I also feel bad for the FAs when they have to shut the airstair door after all the passengers have walked though the snow and sand and it then comes down on the FA as the door closes (I'm tall and have seen a lot of sand in FA's hair).

As far as having to wait for the stairs to be brought to the side for non airstair equiped 145s, it doesn't slow the process of emptying the airplane at all since we don't let anyone off until the gate checked carry-ons are door side.

I haven't flown the CRJ. I like the 145s, but I'm sure I'd like the CRJs just fine. One thing that I would really like for the 145s is autothrottles- especially when in turbulance and during the descent when you want to go fast and have to do a lot of throttle jockying to keep from overspeeding. I guess I would also like the overspeed warning to be a lot quieter (oops) and autoland and built in seat massaging and voice controlled instrumention (like Firefox- except in English) and a space shuttle vacuum bathroom head and auto-tinting windows and a lot bigger paycheck and PS2 built into the MFD and isn't this dream getting wet.

Jetlink, I'm curious about not having an airstair door. I'm not totally sure but I thought that the airstair door was part of a certification requirement for evacuations on the airplane. Otherwise a slide of some kind is needed. Is that what the ERJs have that don't have airstair doors? I understand that the reason why the CRJ-700 looks like it sits high up on it's rear wheels and low on the nose is for this requirement. It has an airstair door which Canadair wanted to keep. If the door entry way was just a little bit higher up then certification requirements would require the installation of a slide, something that Canadair considered more expensive. Just curious what the ERJ has.

I believe the reg that covers this allows for a six foot cabin deck height without needing slides. Everyone is going to have jump off if you need to evacuate off of the gate. I can see the news headlines right now. "106 broken ankels reported after an ERJ is evacuated on the runway in EWR due to an uncontained engine fire."

SkyWestCRJPilot said:

Those aircraft numbers above are very interesting and informative. Thanks for posting them.

You gotta hand it to those RJ builders....they can build around scope and FARs ;)

The ERJ is 1" away from having to be required to have an evac slide. Soooo...you get to jump off. I forget how high it actually is, around 5'2" or 5'6" or something around that to the ground I believe.

As far as my stretch challenger comment...that was tounge-n-cheek as far as it not being much different...and simply stretched....i.e. its initial problems with the wing spars. Sarcasm is hard on this :p

Last edited:
Talk about a tight margin with the Regs! 1", now what if they change that - woulf that force EMB to add the slide?

Alaskaairlines said:
Talk about a tight margin with the Regs! 1", now what if they change that - woulf that force EMB to add the slide?

Yep...1" or 1 seat....there are limits to everything...scope and regs.

umm...what change the Reg's?? That isn't going to happen.

Reg's such as that don't change. If by some fart in Congress they would, its called grandfathering.

o the memmories.......

"I am just amazed there are not more people falling or slipping down those airstairs on the CRJs I have been on...the things are steep and narrow. Certainly not easy to carry a bag up the stairs and you along with it."

Back in better times (summer of 99) I was in ISP sitting in the rt seat of the Dash with comair parked just to our right. they had just pulled in and were deplaning with the airstair door like all other CRJ's. As I was watching this pretty hot blone come off the steps behind her is this typical Long Island guido guy who takes a full digger from the top step. He did a full summersalt and landed on the ramp, as his feet rolled out they hit the blonde chick in front of him and she stumbled foward pretty good, dropping her purse and roller bag and bumped the guy in front of her. by this time the fallen guy was laid out on the ramp laying on his side, without missing a beat the blone chick, picked up her bags and in typical Long Island attitude, turned around and kicked the guy square in the stomach. At the same time you could read her lips as she said something like "*ucking Jerk" and walks into the terminal.

Later when we got back into ISP I asked the Delta agent what happened to the guy. She told me that he was drunk out of his mind and had hit in the blonde chic the whole flight from cvg.

as for the thread ? , I'd prefer the Dash 8. It does the same job cheaper and more efficent and in some cases faster. Too bad it now suffers from the ignorance of the traveling public.

Latest resources

Back