CRJ or ERJ - which one do you prefer?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GCD said:
I happen to have the experience in evaluating the early ERJ models, having already flown the CRJ prior to the evalutaion.

We found that the early ERJ didn't have any space for the pilots' flight bags. A problem I hear is now fixed.

We didn't like the tube effect of the passenger cabin.

We suspected problems with the engine control systems, and there were problems with early models.

We didn't like the motorcycle handle bar yokes.

We had some folks go to the factory (I wasn't with them) and tour the facility. Very scary stories came back.

I have factory training in the CRJ, and have frequented the factory floor in the past. I know how that airplane is built and feel very confident in the CRJ.

It's not a perfect airplane. There are a few things I would change on it, but overall, I prefer the CRJ.

I have flown both.

Typed in one (E145) and not in the other (CL-65).

From my perspective, each has their own good and bad points, yet the comment was made, whichever you get paid to fly (I AGREE!)

I actually find that the CRJ seems to be much less a solid plane than it looks. The airplane is simply a stretch challenger, wherein the ERJ was bulit for the purpose it serves...even if it is off the original plans of the E120, it was built from scratch as an airliner. This is why the CRJ has had FAA bulletins on its wing spars.

The CRJs cockpit is wider, when you remove the center console. Otherwise, the ERJ has more actual "room" to sit in if you will.

CRJ is amazingly lacking in automation. No FADECS, introduction of fuel, dealing with anti-ice and other little crap that you don't really notice until you don't have to do anything anymore.

To start the engines on the ERJ, you turn one knob...and 30-40 seconds later you are up and going...without doing another thing.

The ERJs cockpit is "cleaner" and not so antiquated looking as the CRJS.

The CRJs cabin is all of ONE inch taller than the ERJ - HARDLY room for people to stand up tall (CRJ = 6'1") (ERJ = 6'0").

Those airstairs....HAVE GOT TO GO. Talk about living in the "commuter world"...having pax walk across a ramp to an airplane in this day and age is ridiculous.

The CRJs bathroom - HOLY SHIIT - or not, because you can't get your pants down if you go in there. ERJs is bigger than the DC10's - and yes sex is comfortable in it ;)

The length of the ERJ allows for a "nose up" attitude on approach vs. the Cessna 172 nose down until the last minute flare in the CRJ.

Ask anyone who rode in the back and the windows are horrible, and the EXPLOSION of the landing gear on the CRJ is rather disturbing in the back.

Now that they are installing bullet proof doors on the CRJ, it is my understanding the "closet" that the CRJ had is now gone to crew bag storage...so yes kids, B1900 days and stow those bags in the back with the cattles.....inexcusable.

The CRJ does cruise faster, but don't we get paid by the hour??? I have never understood why anyone wants to go faster in the airline business anyway. CRJ is certified at Mach .81=464knts vs. ERJs XR .80=460kts or LR .78=450kts BFD.

The wings are WAY too low on those CRJs = I stopped looking "down" at my wings when i stopped flying Pipers.

According to "customer service studies" by AMR when they were evaluating the two airplanes, pax preferred the 2 to 1 seating of the ERJ than the 2 to 2 seating of the CRJ. In observation of our pax, most prefer and request the A isle seating if there is going to be a full flight, so they might have an isle and window seat in one. It is very very popular.

Both aircraft have no overheads to speak of and neither can really accomodate a rollerboard. This is why both aircraft provide for gate checked bags.

The CRJ has hydrolically actuated ailerons and elevator vs. ERJs just having the ailerons as such.

I like the CRJs TR's better, but overall, my choice is very much with the ERJ, expecially the XR, which is powered properly, and looks fukkin great with those winglets.

Who cares about the yoke. How much hand-flying are you guys doing. In the Jetscream we had no choice, no AP. As far as the overhead storage in the CRJ goes my Purdy-Neat fits fine if it's not stuffed full. Also, who cares about the Lav,I care about what is up-front and the things that turn fuel into thrust:) As far as the stairs go, what do ERJ operators do when they pull up to a gate with no jet-bridge? Time to wheel out the stairs.

Originally posted by CL-65link:
As far as the stairs go, what do ERJ operators do when they pull up to a gate with no jet-bridge?
The same thing that a 747 does when there is no jet bridge. Yeah, it sucks when you get the hard stand, but as a passenger, I'd rather fly in a plane built for jet bridge use than know I'm going to have to walk accross a hot, noisey, snow-covered, windy, or wet ramp.

Last edited:
I'd rather have the wheel stairs up to the plane than walk down an airstair door anyday.

As far as hand flying goes, most everyone I know only uses the AP in cruise and maybe in descent. We hand fly the rest of the time. You've gotta have some fun:D

Just some food for thought: I'm an FO on the 145 ER/LR and there are hookups for the airstair door. In places like ITH and a few other places we hook up to a jetway even with the airstair. I have actually needed the airstair door once on a diversion to an airport that was not equipped for the ERJ. If not for the airstair then the pax would have had to of stayed on board for 4 hours while on the ground. I believe PIT is installing the modification to the jetways to hook up to ERJ's with the airstair doors.

I don't see why having an airstair door is bad. It would always seem to be an advantage. We use the airstair door but also use jetways when they are available. Jetways are extremely expensive so our major partners don't just go out and buy them for us. We use them when they are available otherwise we use the airstair door. If a an airplane has an airstair doesn't seem to make a difference regarding the airplane itself. Aeromexico has an airstair on it's MD-80s because many airports in Mexico don't have the money for jetways. Seems like a good investment in that case as well as for regional airlines allowing them to fly to and unload at any airport, regardless if it has a jetway.

If you have ever flown any where else in this world, you know that US folks are spoiled to jetways. I've had to park my 747-300 in a remote many times. Ever unloaded 350 people in a remote spot? I can't remember how many buses it took, but I do remember it gets hot real quick in Bangkok, so we would stay in the upper deck with the AC full cold until the pax got off and our bus showed up.

As far as the CRJ airstairs, the rails fold down easily. PCL uses more jetways than Comair. Comair refused to use jetways early on because they were more concerned with jetway damage to the airplane, than the cost of renting the jetway. Rightfully so because I have seen a lot of jetway damage from some of the pinheads not trained properly to drive them.

How many are out there

Anyone know the numbers of each plane (ERJ, CRJ) currently flying? It seems to me that I see more CRJs.

SkyWestCRJPilot said:
I don't see why having an airstair door is bad. It would always seem to be an advantage.

Like anything, its a good thing certain times and not others. If your company or the majors you serve don't want to pay for the jetways, an airstair is an obvious choice. I don't believe i have ever seen a CRJ without an airstair honestly.

If you are ASA or Comair and dont have jetways at your major hubs, then obviously its a benefit. You can open the door up without waiting.

If you are COEX, where 90% of our stations and/or hub gates have jetways, there is no need for the things...more problems than they are worth - plus if we do need to hardstand, the stairs they bring up to the plane are much wider and easier to deal with.

Our first copy airplanes had airstairs, then the powers that be realized they would be using jetways way too often to really need them, and took them out and coverted all future orders to just the door.

I am just amazed there are not more people falling or slipping down those airstairs on the CRJs I have been on...the things are steep and narrow. Certainly not easy to carry a bag up the stairs and you along with it.

As far as the numbers of CRJs vs. ERJs...the CRJ was put on the market several years before the ERJ...so obviously there would be more CRJs without even seeing the numbers. It also depends on where the customer base is....North America vs. European customer bases.

Re: How many are out there

jumppilot03 said:
Anyone know the numbers of each plane (ERJ, CRJ) currently flying? It seems to me that I see more CRJs.

Well you got me curious, so here are the numbers as of 12/2002.

ERJ:

605 Delivered
705 Firm Orders 135/145
88 Firm Orders for the E170

1995 - First Flight of the 145, with Certification later that year
1998 - First Flight of the 135

In service in 27 Airlines.

Industry Breakdown:

COEX
Ordered: 274
Del: 201
To go: 73
Additional 100 Options
Total: 374 E135/E145

Eagle:
Ordered: 135/140/145

CHQ:

Mesa:
Not sure

CRJ:

CRJ100
Delivered: 226
Backordered: 0
Total: 226

CRJ200
Delivered: 463
Firm Orders: 206
Total: 669

CRJ700
Delivered: 68
Firm Orders: 130
Total Ordered: 198

CRJ900
Delivered: 0
Firm Ordred: 30 - To Mesa Airlines Only so far.

Industry Breakdown:

ACA
Ordered: 121
Del: 74
Orders: 47
CRJ700: 0

ASA
Ordered: 57
Del: 54
Orders: 3
CRJ700 Ordred: 12
Del: 9

CMR
Ordered: 130
Del: 116
Orders: 14
CRJ700 Ordered: 20
Del: 6

"Delta Connection" has the following Order without specifiying which one of you is getting the following:
Ordered: 110
Del: 53
Orders: 57
CRJ700: 26
Del: 0

Mesa
Ordered: 72
Del: 38
Orders: 34
CRJ700 Ordered: 20
Del:6
CRJ900 Ordered: 20