• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Alaskaairlines

Future Airline Pilot
Hello guys!

I thought I'd ask which airplane the CRJ or ERJ do you prefer to fly? Why, and what are the ups and downs of both RJ's?

IMO I like the CRJ much better, looks like it can out perform the ERJ any day, looks pretty sharp also!

But, I'd like to hear your opinion, for all I am still in the early stage of the food chain! ;)

Here we go again..............

Speaking only from a passenger perspective, I like the CRJ. I do hate the fact that the windows are so dang low though.

Let the debate ensue.............

--03M

;)

Can't really say, I'm only typed and flown one of them. It's sort of hard to compare the two if youv'e only flown one. Maybe somebody out there has experience in both? However, I hear the long-range ERJ, with the Rolls-Royce engines is better than the "old" version.

cl-65link said:
Can't really say, I'm only typed and flown one of them. It's sort of hard to compare the two if youv'e only flown one. Maybe somebody out there has experience in both? However, I hear the long-range ERJ, with the Rolls-Royce engines is better than the "old" version.

The XR is much better as far as performance. Just as an example, I took off from Norfolk, Va to Houston weighing 53,000lbs and climbed all the way to flt 370 at 1,500fpm from 10,000 with no problem. I believe at the top of climb we were doing .69. Yep it's a much better performer, which makes me like the plane even more.

I happen to have the experience in evaluating the early ERJ models, having already flown the CRJ prior to the evalutaion.

We found that the early ERJ didn't have any space for the pilots' flight bags. A problem I hear is now fixed.

We didn't like the tube effect of the passenger cabin.

We suspected problems with the engine control systems, and there were problems with early models.

We didn't like the motorcycle handle bar yokes.

We had some folks go to the factory (I wasn't with them) and tour the facility. Very scary stories came back.

I have factory training in the CRJ, and have frequented the factory floor in the past. I know how that airplane is built and feel very confident in the CRJ.

It's not a perfect airplane. There are a few things I would change on it, but overall, I prefer the CRJ.

Which one would be the most easiest and most comfortable to fly from the pilots perspective?

I didn't get the chance to hands on. Someone much higher in the chain did that. I can tell you that guys with experience in the EMB120 liked it, but non-EMB guys disliked it. Personally, I sat in the seat and didn't like the feel of it sitting static.

I transitioned from BE1900CA to EMB120CA to EMB145CA and can say that the yoke on the Embraer's are a much more natural position. Just hold your hands out in front of you and you can see that you palms facing down and inwards is a natural postion.

For those of you who don't like the Brasilia and Brasilia-jet yokes...you just haven't flown them much. I was shocked to hear anybody say they didn't like the bicycle handlebars. They are the most comfortable yoke that I've ever used.

Latest resources

Back