• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ 200 climb performance in Summer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's what I'm wondering. When it's hot and you're heavy, climbing out at 250 will get you to say FL200 in a hurry, but then the climb virtually stops and it seems like it takes forever to make it to cruise. At say, FL250, the deck angle is relatively high when you make the transition and I've had days where the aircraft never makes it cruise speed (desipte the charts saying otherwise). So what I'm curious about is whether or not the extra fuel burnt at lower altitides (and higher speed with lower deck angle), offsets 'hanging' at cruise at climb power for a half an hour. Does that extra 20 knots of initertia blast you through the doldrums or do you get it either way?

OK, you can take it for what it's worth from a former CRJ instructor (one of the first in the USA), but it works very well.

Once you get to 10,000', nose it over to accelerate to 300-310 KIAS, then start climbing. As your altitude increases, try to maintain the highest possible IAS while maintaining at least a 500 FPM rate of climb. The idea is to climb a jet at the lowest possible deck angle to keep forward speed and increase economy. Also, when you get to your cruise altitude at the lower deck angle, you won't be "hanging" on the engines and unable to accelerate.

In the Whale, we use Vref + 100 to 110 for best angle of climb; Vref + 130-140 for best rate; Vref + 160-170 for best economy. It works as well in the CRJ, but not quite the same numbers, though.

Remember, the 500 FPM rule is only an ATC reporting requirement. A Part 25 jet is only required to be able to climb at cruise altitude at 300 FPM.

Please, please don't try to climb to your cruise altitude at best angle or best rate. You'll find that you likely will not get there because the best angle and best rate is a "temporary" rate for lower altitudes.

I have found that many who get into a jet for the first time have an unrealistic expectation of how a Transport Category Jet actually performs. Even the Whale peters out when it is heavy and hot. It's a rocket ship, even heavy, below FL180, but when we get on up there...it's 300 FPM sometimes.

Also, religiously check your cruise performance charts. Are you even legal to be where you are (FL wise)?

I learned from experience, if you use the climb techniue I described, you will beat the dispacthed fuel every time and you won't be pi**ing off guys behind you so badly.

Like I wrote, take it for what it's worth from an old dude.

That's interesting information. I've never flown the -200, but we used to climb at about 320/.80 in the CR7 (probably winter numbers, my memory isn't great) and it seemed to work well. The company came up with a 300/.77 profile and performance dies between about FL260 and FL300. They say do it that way, so I do, but we don't go as high as we used to and I suspect it costs us. On the other hand the descent profiles they gave us work pretty well (flight idle, cruise speed/290 KIAS).

The company profiles remind me of the profiles the company engineers gave Earnest K. Gahn's pilots in his book Fate is the Hunter. Everyone obeyed and barely made it to the destination until one brave soul used the old profiles and made it with plenty of fuel to spare.

Man, it's bad. When I first started flying, I was like, whoa Captain, it's hard to keep this thing afloat! I think he knew what I meant, but I wanted to go faster so I dumped it over to about 200 per for a bit. Dude, it just wouldn't climb! Captain told me not to climb at that rate, but man, we gotta climb faster on hot days! How do you guys do it!?

Sounds like Captain is what's keeping you from crashin'....

For some of you this is going to be the 'duh' statement of the year. For some of you this is going to be a wake up call.

Airplanes fly because of air flow over and under the wings.

Reduce the airflow and you reduce effectiveness of the wings. Keep the speed up between 280 and 310 and the airplane will keep climbing. It gets difficult and climbs very poorly between FL260 and FL280 due to atmospheric conditions and airplane design. Try to hold your speed between these altitudes and the airplane will perform better passing FL290.

Why do we let an ATC rule over ride aerodynamics? If the airplane needs to climb at 300 fpm why do we let the 500fpm notification rule put us in a position of high drag? ALPA should lobby to get this rule thrown out.

If you're departing a hub during a busy time please fly the company profile until you get some distance from the airport. When you get some distance from the departure corridor and are away from everyone else then you can slow down with out screwing the guys behind you.

CRJ 200 = Climb Restricted Jet 200fpm

Why do we let an ATC rule over ride aerodynamics? If the airplane needs to climb at 300 fpm why do we let the 500fpm notification rule put us in a position of high drag? ALPA should lobby to get this rule thrown out.

I don't think its a ATC rule that you have to climb at 500 fpm. The rule( As I understand it)is if you can't climb at least 500 fpm, you have to notify ATC. Right GCD?

OK, you can take it for what it's worth from a former CRJ instructor (one of the first in the USA), but it works very well.

Once you get to 10,000', nose it over to accelerate to 300-310 KIAS, then start climbing. As your altitude increases, try to maintain the highest possible IAS while maintaining at least a 500 FPM rate of climb. The idea is to climb a jet at the lowest possible deck angle to keep forward speed and increase economy. Also, when you get to your cruise altitude at the lower deck angle, you won't be "hanging" on the engines and unable to accelerate.

In the Whale, we use Vref + 100 to 110 for best angle of climb; Vref + 130-140 for best rate; Vref + 160-170 for best economy. It works as well in the CRJ, but not quite the same numbers, though.

Remember, the 500 FPM rule is only an ATC reporting requirement. A Part 25 jet is only required to be able to climb at cruise altitude at 300 FPM.

Please, please don't try to climb to your cruise altitude at best angle or best rate. You'll find that you likely will not get there because the best angle and best rate is a "temporary" rate for lower altitudes.

I have found that many who get into a jet for the first time have an unrealistic expectation of how a Transport Category Jet actually performs. Even the Whale peters out when it is heavy and hot. It's a rocket ship, even heavy, below FL180, but when we get on up there...it's 300 FPM sometimes.

Also, religiously check your cruise performance charts. Are you even legal to be where you are (FL wise)?

I learned from experience, if you use the climb techniue I described, you will beat the dispacthed fuel every time and you won't be pi**ing off guys behind you so badly.

Like I wrote, take it for what it's worth from an old dude.

Its refreshing to hear from someone who actually knows what they are talking about and not just wanting to "hear" themselves.

Latest resources

Back