• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ 200 climb performance in Summer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not that I would ever diverge from my company's published climb profile, but my all Skywest buddies tell me 250/.70m gets works a LOT better than 290/.70 to get to altitude. I think that was IDE's profile too, but I might be mistaken.

You can still get a -200 into the low and mid 30s in the summer, but you will have to level off and build up a head of steam to get there if you're any combination of ISA+ and heavy.

When it wont hold 250 or .70 at 500fpm I ask for a level off. Once the speed gets up to about .75, I'll continue the climb 2000 feet at a time.

Not that I would ever diverge from my company's published climb profile, but my all Skywest buddies tell me 250/.70m gets works a LOT better than 290/.70 to get to altitude. I think that was IDE's profile too, but I might be mistaken.

Sweet Jesus, please don't do that in front of me!:laugh:

Bid the 70..problem solved

The performance sucks on the 70 too. It's relative of course, but not many airplanes are going to excel at ISA +17 (saw this at about FL260 yesterday). I wonder how the space shuttle performs? "Damn, only climbing at 20,000 fps, what a dog!"

OK, you can take it for what it's worth from a former CRJ instructor (one of the first in the USA), but it works very well.

Once you get to 10,000', nose it over to accelerate to 300-310 KIAS, then start climbing. As your altitude increases, try to maintain the highest possible IAS while maintaining at least a 500 FPM rate of climb. The idea is to climb a jet at the lowest possible deck angle to keep forward speed and increase economy. Also, when you get to your cruise altitude at the lower deck angle, you won't be "hanging" on the engines and unable to accelerate.

In the Whale, we use Vref + 100 to 110 for best angle of climb; Vref + 130-140 for best rate; Vref + 160-170 for best economy. It works as well in the CRJ, but not quite the same numbers, though.

Remember, the 500 FPM rule is only an ATC reporting requirement. A Part 25 jet is only required to be able to climb at cruise altitude at 300 FPM.

Please, please don't try to climb to your cruise altitude at best angle or best rate. You'll find that you likely will not get there because the best angle and best rate is a "temporary" rate for lower altitudes.

I have found that many who get into a jet for the first time have an unrealistic expectation of how a Transport Category Jet actually performs. Even the Whale peters out when it is heavy and hot. It's a rocket ship, even heavy, below FL180, but when we get on up there...it's 300 FPM sometimes.

Also, religiously check your cruise performance charts. Are you even legal to be where you are (FL wise)?

I learned from experience, if you use the climb techniue I described, you will beat the dispacthed fuel every time and you won't be pi**ing off guys behind you so badly.

Like I wrote, take it for what it's worth from an old dude.

If your looking for climb rates go corporate. FL410 in 19 minutes is the norm in the "slowtation" Need to deviate around weather, climb @ 1000 FPM to FL450

290/.70 works a LOT better when trying to go high. At 250/.70 you won't get above FL250 before the speed starts to drop.

AT 290 you can make it to FL300 right at 250kias, 50k lbs and fully loaded.

290kias until FL200 - then VS 500ft/min the rest of the way up.

GCD,

Thanks for the comments. Are you saying that climbing out at a lower deck angle will give you greater range as well? In other words, if you were given barely enough fuel for the trip, would it be better to climb at 250, 290 or 310?

GCD,

Thanks for the comments. Are you saying that climbing out at a lower deck angle will give you greater range as well? In other words, if you were given barely enough fuel for the trip, would it be better to climb at 250, 290 or 310?

Climb at 250. Then reduce speed to long range cruise at altitude.

Latest resources

Back