Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skyline said:
Cheebs501

I have never liked the idea and never willingly applied to a corporation for a flying job. My mind is wired to only see the major airlines as a good place to spend a career so anything that doesnt serve that purpose is a waste of time to me. Therefore, building more Lear or Citation time has little value to me. It would only lead to more Lears and Citations.

Events as of late with the airlines has dulled that quite a bit but not enough for me to consider corporate as an alternative. I like flying the same route in the same plane and staying in the same hotel room at the end of the day. It might not be home but the familiarity is comforting and much easier than having to fly into strange places all the time.

Skyline

I'd call that a "dead end job".

Dk

DK,

Go back and re-read the posts. We have already determined that to you all the term "corporate" means good paying fortune 500 jobs. It doesnt mean that to me so when I say that most "corporate" jobs are bad I take every parts hauling Cessna 206 and broken down Queen Air into consideration.

As for my motivation I can assure you that myself and my friends have been very motivated. Most people would consider my career as a successful and effective one however, luck plays a roll as well and I have had my share of bad luck.

Over time things change. After almost two decades of low low wages, lay offs and setbacks my attitude is not like it was when I was 20. At this point you are correct in assuming that it is mostly me that is holding my career back. Every time I evaluate a new employment prospect my stomach begins to turn with bad memories of past similar employers. In addition my growing family wouldn't do well with another move to a strange city. For their sake we are living back at home surrounded by old friends and family.

Skyline

Unemployed

Gulfstream 200 said:
"airline aspirations"..."corporate dead end"

Again, who is the one unemployed?

I know of quite a few unemployed airline pilots, I know ZERO unemployed corporate pilots...and this had been since 2001...thats 5 years almost. Keep telling yourself thats a "cycle"

When are you going to realize the old days are gone? heck, it sounds like you never even made those big airline bucks! You are crying about the good old times you never even experienced! You are a wanna-be, you have crap experience, and the coffin sealer....a loser attitude.

People transition from corp to airline and back again all the time. Its all about personality and contacts. I know folks who left 6 figure DAL jobs and walked into 6 figure corp jobs very easily....

now tell me, why are YOU unemployed???

I know, its the market, 9/11, George Bush, the LCC's, ......

its something huh?

wonder what that could be?

:confused:

You are right about most of those statements. I am a looser. Despite my best efforts I never made it to a good company. Most of my peers never made it either. At this point in my life I have a wife and (soon to be) 4 small kids to think about. I suppose I could be out there banging on doors and taking another "crap" job but my family is happy and settled in a good home in a good small town. More than just preferences I need a good airline job to meet the requirements of a family life. 150K per year has no value to me if it means that I would have to leave for a two week stay at PHX at the drop of a hat. Most of my best contacts are either dead, unemployed like me or are not in a position to help right now.

There is one thing you are mistaken about. I am employed. For the last two years I have been building houses and doing well at it. I am constantly stunned by meeting guys daily who pull wire or drive a dump truck and earn fantastically more than my regional airline captain friends. The guy who installs carpets for me is taking in more than 120K/year and fully expects to be retired in ten years.

The world is turned upside down.

Don't get me wrong I envy you guys. I miss flying and am sad that my career is over. Every day I wish I was at a good company, but I am not. And there is little hope at this point that I ever will get there.

Besides all the aforementioned situations that have combined to sink my career. The biggest thing that kills an aviation career is success in another field. So far things are going well with my construction company. If they keep headed uphill then there is no way I could ever go back to flying unless it is in my own Citation Mustang !!

Wish me luck

Skyline

Skyline said:
DK,

when I say that most "corporate" jobs are bad I take every parts hauling Cessna 206 and broken down Queen Air into consideration.

No, these jobs would not be classified as corporate. they would more than likely fall under the broad classification of business aviation or on-demand charter. you obviously have been associated with the less than desirable operations.:)

Skyline said:
You are right about most of those statements. I am a looser. Despite my best efforts I never made it to a good company. Most of my peers never made it either. At this point in my life I have a wife and (soon to be) 4 small kids to think about. I suppose I could be out there banging on doors and taking another "crap" job but my family is happy and settled in a good home in a good small town. More than just preferences I need a good airline job to meet the requirements of a family life. 150K per year has no value to me if it means that I would have to leave for a two week stay at PHX at the drop of a hat. Most of my best contacts are either dead, unemployed like me or are not in a position to help right now.

There is one thing you are mistaken about. I am employed. For the last two years I have been building houses and doing well at it. I am constantly stunned by meeting guys daily who pull wire or drive a dump truck and earn fantastically more than my regional airline captain friends. The guy who installs carpets for me is taking in more than 120K/year and fully expects to be retired in ten years.

Don't get me wrong I envy you guys. I miss flying and am sad that my career is over. Every day I wish I was at a good company, but I am not. And there is little hope at this point that I ever will get there.

Besides all the aforementioned situations that have combined to sink my career. The biggest thing that kills an aviation career is success in another field. So far things are going well with my construction company. If they keep headed uphill then there is no way I could ever go back to flying unless it is in my own Citation Mustang !!

Wish me luck

Skyline

You're Bi-Polar.

You come here looking for a fight about airline-vs-corporate -- trashing the corp arena you know nothing about as you were obviously a garbage charter pilot....

Now you lay out a big sob story? -- boo-hoo....

For your sake, I hope this is real bad flame bait.

FWIW -- there is far less friction between airline and corp guys than you want to believe, most people are simply judged on thier own personality.

freakin' nutbag.

Guys, don't feed the trolls. Read a bunch of what Skyline says on other threads, and you'll see that he's FOS everywhere. He just does it to get a rise out of people. I will say this though, as far as trolls go around here, he's pretty good at it.

Skyline said:

Besides all the aforementioned situations that have combined to sink my career. The biggest thing that kills an aviation career is success in another field. So far things are going well with my construction company.
If the world is so rosey for you outside of aviation, what the heck are you doing here? Why don't you go spend some of your big bucks and play with your kids? Why are you posting in the middle of the day? Shouldn't you be out building a house, like most house builders do, during daylight hours???

bigD said:
Guys, don't feed the trolls. Read a bunch of what Skyline says on other threads, and you'll see that he's FOS everywhere. He just does it to get a rise out of people. I will say this though, as far as trolls go around here, he's pretty good at it.

I don't think he's flaim bait though, I think he's just a glass halfempty kinda guy. He needs to get out of aviation.

I dunno Flechas, go re-read his Scary Numbers thread. If he isn't a troll, he easily has the poorest attitude of anyone I've ever met in aviation, and frankly, am happy that he's on the airline side - I won't ever have to share a cockpit with him.

But I still think he's a troll.

bigD said:
I dunno Flechas, go re-read his Scary Numbers thread. If he isn't a troll, he easily has the poorest attitude of anyone I've ever met in aviation, and frankly, am happy that he's on the airline side - I won't ever have to share a cockpit with him.

But I still think he's a troll.

He IS a troll, no doubt about that!! I didn't know he was in the airlines,I thought he diidn't make it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back