Corporate vs. Commercial

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lead Sled said:
Right now I know of two openings for qualified and experienced part 91 corporate captains - both starting at well over $100K, perhaps up to $125K. Former 121 guys need not apply.

'Sled

TWO....thats my point. Those jobs are the exception not the norm.

121 guys need not reply... thats pretty arrogant considering the company we are all here with

Lead Sled said:
Maany of those guys sitting around complaining are fractional pilots. Again, please don't make the mistake of thinking that they are corporate.
'Sled[/quote

That is insulting to another great group of folks. Many a "corp" flight depts. have shares with Fractionals and some all together only fly with the fracs. They fly the same A/C and People... and they to you are below you. I hope you leave your ego at the coffee counter at the FBO.

Bankangle said:
skyline is not all wrong..

Take a poll at TEB sometime. The majority of corp guys are not as fortunate as you all here on this thread. The majority are 24/7 in light to medium corp jets making in most cases the norm 2nd year pay at a 121 carrier.

Well first of all TEB is the wrong place to take the poll, to be fair, it's not a neutral place, it's NJ for cryin' out loud... oh ya, was that poll during the winter or summer thunderstorms... but seriously every sector has its lows, it's all in your attitude and if you gripe about something in Corp then you'll gripe about something in the Majors, maybe a reality check is in order. Bottom line here for newbys 'cause you're right, it's not all roses, expect to pay your dues and have a glass half full concept... take advantage of "better opportunities" and be greatful for the experience that your current job gave you, because without you probably wouldn't be moving on to that "better opportunity."

Bankangle said:
TWO....thats my point. Those jobs are the exception not the norm.

121 guys need not reply... thats pretty arrogant considering the company we are all here with
No, that's MY point. Those two jobs are ones that I've heard about without having made the slightest bit of effort to uncover them. They are not the only two unfilled corporate jobs in the country.

As far as 121 guys go. It's not my ego that has created the situation for the current crop of furloughed 121 guys. However, it's been my experience that many 121 guys don't "play well with others" in the "hands on" corporate world. Don't take me the wrong way, there are many good corporate guys who in a former life used to fly 121.

I'm not being condescending to the fract guys either, but just because they happen to be flying a bizjet doesn't mean that they have a corporate job. You know it and they know it. Take a Fortune 500 corporate pilot and see if he'd swap his seat with any fractional pilot. It's good experience but I don't know of too many guys that view Net Jets as a career position.

'Sled

diff strokes fo diff folks....i won't knock your career choice so please don't knock mine. i know plenty of people on all sides who are quite happy with their choices. i also know some that are not. so what...who cares. :)

Falcon Captain

F C,

Its no secret. I was laid off over two years ago from my last airline job. Since then I have been hired and promptly quit or courted a few local corporate (or junk corporate) jobs. Before the airlines I flew for a collection of corporate, charter and medevac companies. My negative attitude is spawned from almost 20 years as a professional pilot. I however would describe my attitude as realistic. I wish I had an opportunity as good as yours. They just are not that common.

Skyline

Led Sled

Don't feel bad. The airlines don't like corporate guys either. They think that corporate guys don't have a work ethic.

Skyline

I'm with you guys on corporate. Hell, I like 135 better than airlines. I have a crappy bottom of the barrel dues paying 135 job, and I make more money than any RJ copilot and some captains flying a jet half the size, work about 12 to 15 days and 30-50 hours a month, no Red Roach Inns, twice the perdiem I made at the airline, no callout min or max, just 'get there when you can'. If I'm at a store or on the golf course or something like that, I just take longer to get there. Besides, 'get here now' calls come less than once a month on average. They do happen, though. However, it just doesn't bother me. I do what I want, if they call, I get there when I can. My company doesn't expect me to not have a life. Bear in mind, again, I have what most would consider a 'time-builder' 'dues paying' 'crappy' job. And I'm WORLDS happier than I was at my regional. I make more money and work less. What more could you want? Of course if I worked for a 'real' airline and not a regional, I'd be singing a different tune. But in my opinion, a good 91 job is head and shoulders better than any 121 job. Case and point:

Used to fly a LR-35 (Oh God, a dreaded SMALL jet) for a rich guy. It was his personal toy. NO on call. Schedule a month in advance. Good pay. Flew about 20 hours a month. The ONLY reason I'm not still there is that he wanted to move to St. Croix permenently. I didn't want to leave the country. My old CP and I are still friends, and still talk. He lives there, plays golf every day, and tells me he MIGHT fly 10 hours a month. Doesn't have to give face time at the office, he goes in when something with the plane needs doing. Boss won't sell the plane.......he's actually talking something bigger. If the darn job was in the continental US, I'd probably have spent the rest of my career there.

My uncle worked for over 25 years working for a non Fortune 500 company flying a CE-501 single pilot. They paid him well, treated him right, and he never left.

Are there craphole jobs out there, ohhhhh yeah. There sure are. I once met a guy that worked for a 91 owner. 1 hour call out 24/7, 365. He was even expected to be on call on the road. Sit in the hotel and watch the phone. That job lasted a few months max. These jobs are never that bad for that long because 1 of 2 things happens. Owner gets tired of having to pay to train new pilots every few months and sells plane, or figures out that he can't treat people like crap and expect them to stay and wises up. More often than not, though, it's the 1st option.

Charter sucks. Some 91 sucks, but most is MUCH better than any airline job in my book. Hell, believe it or not, there are even good charter jobs out there. Ask pilots at Epps aviation in Atlanta how happy they are......most will answer that they're pretty happy. They'd probably be happier at FalconCapt's job, but who wouldn't??? Shoot, I'd give my left arm just to know where to send a resume for that deal!!

(hint hint) :)

Skyline said:
F C,

Its no secret. I was laid off over two years ago from my last airline job. Since then I have been hired and promptly quit or courted a few local corporate (or junk corporate) jobs. Before the airlines I flew for a collection of corporate, charter and medevac companies. My negative attitude is spawned from almost 20 years as a professional pilot. I however would describe my attitude as realistic. I wish I had an opportunity as good as yours. They just are not that common.

Skyline

You have been a professional pilot for 20 years and you only have 6400 hours total?

Something doesn't quite add up.

Skyline said:
Don't feel bad. The airlines don't like corporate guys either. They think that corporate guys don't have a work ethic.

Skyline

Complete and total BS. I have been hired by two major (AA and Delta) airlines and one regional airline (Continental Express). I had three years at AA and a little over three years at COEX.

All three airlines I interviewed with and flew for happily employed former Corporate Pilots.

Skyline, why dont you quit while you are way way behind? It is obvious you have a grudge against aviation in general. You have been called out a few times on inaccurate statements you have made but yet you refuse to address them.

It's quite obvious why you have not been able to find a decent Corporate job. From reading just a few of your posts it is clear to everyone that you are a complete moron. Most high quality Corporate flight departments dont hire morons.

Latest resources

Back