Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Danger Kitty

DK,

Yea I have been a pro-pilot for almost 20 years. In the early years I worked jobs like corporate or for FS contract work where I didn't fly that much. One of the years I made the most money I only flew 155 hours while on a Forest Service contract. I knew a guy who was a 20 year tanker Captain who only had 2600 total time. I also have periods of time when I was furloughed or laid off like now. Technically I am a BE200 Captain right now. I was hired and trained over a year and a half ago. I get piss tested and go to recurrent training but they haven't been able to buy a plane yet, so I haven't flown much all during that time.

To answer your other question, yes I am a little upset at aviation in general. In case you haven't noticed a lot of us are very disappointed right now. You are right about me being a moron I guess. It has never really crossed my mind to want to work for a corporate department. Those little jets seemed more like a torture tubes to me. It was only by accident that I ended up in the Lear and Citation. My only focus was to do what it took to get to a major airline. I mean corporate was a dead end. You go do it though. Someone has to I guess.

Skyline

Last edited:
Sounds like someone is just pissed because no corporate flight department in their right mind would hire you.

How is corporate a dead end?

Yeah...

Lets hear how corporate ia a dead end. Im curious.

Hey....Who's the one laid off?

Does ALPA have a shuttle bus that takes you guys to unemployment?....then goes over to negotiations and "fights" for your next 29% pay cut?....

(there I go again, just jealous of airline guys...)

Me thinks skyline was a charter reject who landed at a reject airline.

It all makes sense now.

Yea

Cheebs501

I have never liked the idea and never willingly applied to a corporation for a flying job. My mind is wired to only see the major airlines as a good place to spend a career so anything that doesnt serve that purpose is a waste of time to me. Therefore, building more Lear or Citation time has little value to me. It would only lead to more Lears and Citations.

Events as of late with the airlines has dulled that quite a bit but not enough for me to consider corporate as an alternative. I like flying the same route in the same plane and staying in the same hotel room at the end of the day. It might not be home but the familiarity is comforting and much easier than having to fly into strange places all the time.

Skyline

Gs 200

GS 200,

I don't like charter or corporate style flying. Its no secret. You could say they rejected me but it was I who quit to go to the airlines years ago. Corporate is a dead end since it doesnt really lead back to the airlines. They are into hiring CRJ kid Captains. Therefore corporate flying would be a dead end for someone with airline aspirations.

Skyline

The Truth

Skyline said:
Live it up. You corporate/charter guys have always had an inferiority complex. Well today is your time in the sun. I am sure that at one time most of you tried hard to get on with a major airline. You don't have to even deny it because I know you will. Many a corporate hangar is filled with airline rejects. Well get out there and crow. The bus drivers have fallen on hard times. For now at least you can dance for us.

Skyline

All in good fun.

I am glad you put "all in good fun" on your post or I would have gotten nasty. I have a Fortune 20 Corporate job and I can tell you it's FANTASTIC. I did just interview with SWA and was turned down as were many airline furloughees and military guys, all highly competent aviators and good guys. That does not give me a "complex" because I have the luxury of KNOWING my current job is better than MOST airline jobs. SWA interests me because of their culture and other airlines just don't get it, on the labor or management side of the fence. I'll wait my year to re-apply at SWA , and continue collecting my 135K, plus profit sharing, plus stock options, with a schedule, loss of license insurance, etc......

Last edited:
Bjetset2

Bjetset,

Thanks but I wouln't be getting an inferiority complex. You are serving to prove one of my points about corporate flying. Even guys with jobs that have a lot of money thrown at them desire to leave for the airlines.

Skyline

Skyline said:
DK,

Yea I have been a pro-pilot for almost 20 years. In the early years I worked jobs like corporate or for FS contract work where I didn't fly that much. One of the years I made the most money I only flew 155 hours while on a Forest Service contract. I knew a guy who was a 20 year tanker Captain who only had 2600 total time. I also have periods of time when I was furloughed or laid off like now. Technically I am a BE200 Captain right now. I was hired and trained over a year and a half ago. I get piss tested and go to recurrent training but they haven't been able to buy a plane yet, so I haven't flown much all during that time.

To answer your other question, yes I am a little upset at aviation in general. In case you haven't noticed a lot of us are very disappointed right now. You are right about me being a moron I guess. It has never really crossed my mind to want to work for a corporate department. Those little jets seemed more like a torture tubes to me. It was only by accident that I ended up in the Lear and Citation. My only focus was to do what it took to get to a major airline. I mean corporate was a dead end. You go do it though. Someone has to I guess.

Skyline

I flew for AA for three years and was laid of in 2003. In just over a year from that I was hired to fly a Falcon 50EX at the same pay rate that I was flying a S-80 for AA under the old (and better) payscale. I have far better benefits and fly to much better places. I stay at better hotels, and eat at better restaurants. I have a much much much much better schedule. I rarely fly on weekends and never fly on holidays. I even have a stable retirement fund in place. Plus I fly a much better aircraft.

If you dont like Corporate then fine. But to say that there are not good Corporate jobs out there or that 90% of the Corporate jobs suck is an uneducated statement to say the least. Most people that succeed in this business or anything else in life will probably say the following statement; "Disregard the naysayers. Don't believe the people that will tell you that you will never succeed in xxxxx line of work."

I was told to get out of aviation at a very early point in my training. I never listened to any of it and now I make six figures working for the employer of my dreams. 95% of my success comes from a good attitude, motivation, and a good work ethic.

I dont know about your motivation or work ethic but from your posts I can tell that you attitude is not very good. Might wanna take a long good look in the mirror. Maybe the only thing that is holding you back is you.

SWA and NO OTHER

Skyline said:
Bjetset,

Thanks but I wouln't be getting an inferiority complex. You are serving to prove one of my points about corporate flying. Even guys with jobs that have a lot of money thrown at them desire to leave for the airlines.

Skyline

ONE airline. If it's not yours, you should go to corporate. If SWA is your carrier , I'll be the first to congratulate you on a fine job move. I am going to pick up my kids and go to the park. I did edit out the "complex" part after you read it. Sorry about that. Signing off. Have a nice day sir.

Skyline said:
GS 200,

I don't like charter or corporate style flying. Its no secret. You could say they rejected me but it was I who quit to go to the airlines years ago. Corporate is a dead end since it doesnt really lead back to the airlines. They are into hiring CRJ kid Captains. Therefore corporate flying would be a dead end for someone with airline aspirations.

Skyline

"airline aspirations"..."corporate dead end"

Again, who is the one unemployed?

I know of quite a few unemployed airline pilots, I know ZERO unemployed corporate pilots...and this had been since 2001...thats 5 years almost. Keep telling yourself thats a "cycle"

When are you going to realize the old days are gone? heck, it sounds like you never even made those big airline bucks! You are crying about the good old times you never even experienced! You are a wanna-be, you have crap experience, and the coffin sealer....a loser attitude.

People transition from corp to airline and back again all the time. Its all about personality and contacts. I know folks who left 6 figure DAL jobs and walked into 6 figure corp jobs very easily....

now tell me, why are YOU unemployed???

I know, its the market, 9/11, George Bush, the LCC's, ......

its something huh?

wonder what that could be?

:confused:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back