Contract back retiring DAL Captains?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DALPA MEC Meeting Highlights

Enabling Resolution to Negotiate Letter of Agreement concerning Early Retirement Mitigation

Passed September 14, 2004 in Special MEC Meeting, Herndon, Virginia

WHEREAS the Company's current financial situation has created an unusually high rate of early retirements among Delta pilots, and

WHEREAS the recently experienced rate of early retirements has caused pilot shortages in certain positions, and

WHEREAS a further increase in the rate of early retirements could cause substantial cancellations of Company flying, and

WHEREAS Delta management has requested modifications to the Pilot Working Agreement that would reduce the possibility of a substantial disruption of operations by permitting post-retirement Delta pilots to continue as active pilots,

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED the Delta MEC directs the Delta Negotiating Committee to negotiate a Letter of Agreement containing limited exceptions to the Pilot Working Agreement to mitigate problems caused by excessive early retirements, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED such limited exceptions to the Pilot Working Agreement may include the possible use of early-retired pilots returning to active status for a limited period of time, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED such Letter of Agreement shall include suitable assurances by Delta management concerning the Delta Pilot Retirement Plan and other legal issues, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that such Letter of Agreement shall be subject to Delta MEC and membership ratification.

....I'm glad we will get to vote on this.

wow. I am shocked they are even considering it. I am not saying I would vote against it, but there would have to be some very short and specific time limits on how long those guys can stay, and some pretty iron clad agreements that they will not be allowed to continue beyond that point. Even then though, I don't think I would vote yes.

While I think it's a great option for the pilots,I just can't believe the Delta management would be so stupid to sign off on an agreement that allows for nothing more than a 24 hour notice from pilots wishing to retire early.
And to think we are the ones that are subject to random drug tests......shhhesh.:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR:cool:

PHXFLYR said:
While I think it's a great option for the pilots,
Its a good deal for the pilots who retire and get to stay. Not such a good deal for those who are delayed in moving up to fill those slots.

So the older guys retire taking the money for retirment from the limited funds and then get to stay active there by keeping junior pilot from upgrade. All while not only helping to bankrupt the company but keeping junior pilots from recieving more money in uprades. What a thoughtful group, it proves once again that pilots will eat thier own young.

It would be a limited stay. I would vote for it (so they don't have to park planes and make the situation even worse....can it get worse??? I guess it could. Am I talking to myself? How are you doing? I am fine....how about you? Great? How's the wife....I am going CRAZY!!!) as long as anyone who signs up for early retirement---stays for a limted amount of time and is replaced as soon as a replacement is trained---within a set amount of time. That would mean management would have to crank up the training machine again and actually rehire those ground instructors and get this thing moving----including major furlough recalls. This should be a ONE TIME thing---and the lawyers can put that in writing.....hopefully.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Assuming it's a straight on-or-the-other vote (no other choices), what would DL pilots be more likely to vote for:

1) Instant 120 day notice requirement imposed, thereby simply preventing those who have not retired already from retiring for at least 120 days---i.e. if you give notice today, you can't retire for 120 days from today.

2) Some scheme to permit "retirees" to keep flying the aircraft until training catches up?

Michael 707/767

You know something......??? Your right!!. I can't believe I actually posted something like that :eek: That will teach me to post on this web board when I'm tired...Sorry.

PHXFLYR :cool:

FLB717 said:
So the older guys retire taking the money for retirment from the limited funds and then get to stay active there by keeping junior pilot from upgrade. All while not only helping to bankrupt the company but keeping junior pilots from recieving more money in uprades. What a thoughtful group, it proves once again that pilots will eat thier own young.
I'm pretty sure the funds used to pay the lump sums come from a previously funded retirement account. Everytime a pilot retires he or she certainly draws down the account, however future liabilities are also decreased. As far as keeping junior guys from ugrading, I believe it would only allow the retirees to remain in the cockpit for a relatively short period of time to enable those junior guys to get trained to fill the vacated seats. It would seem to me to beat the alternative of parking airplanes for lack of crews.

Seniors will get another good deal on the juniors' back

The top third (fat bastards) will vote for it.

The middle third (GL and the other wannabes) will mostly vote for it.

The bottom third (new guys) will vote mostly vote against it.

It will pass. The seniors usually get what they want. That is the way it is set up.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back