Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AMRCostUnit

Back on the 737
Here is what I am hearing. Delta is considering an offer to "contract" back the guys that just retired in an effort to keep the wide-body fleet running while training catches up.

Gets more interesting every day.

If they try this they might suddenly be short on FO's unless there are some scraps for the junior guys.

Unit

Management proposed something similar but the union is not in favor. It creates a hugely bad precedent, even if its highly structured and limited. The goal is to allow the pilot the freedom to retire early if he/she wishes, yet give the company time to train and handle the staffing losses. Right now a pilot only need give 24hrs notice. Great for the pilot....pretty hard for the compan to compensate.Of course every time the company says it needs to retain pilots, in the same sentence they mention filing Chapter 11 and cancelling pension programs.

Meanwhile, typing FOs would be a good move to help in the future. (Less of a training footprint when upgrading).

But then again, nobody asked me. ;)

From what I have been hearing in ATL, this COULD be true. This would be a one time event if it happened at all. Instead of guys just bailing and not being able to cover seats in the larger jets (and then parking fleets until replacements could be trained)---the company SUPPOSEDLY might allow those pilots to retire on one day and then keep them around until their replacement is trained. (3-4 months?) DALPA would have to agree to any of this, though. Then there might be a vote---maybe/maybe not.... That would guarantee two things (supposedly)---the lump sum for the retiring guy, and the planes keep flying. But, the company actually let go 60 ground school instructors a few months ago (in favor of computer CDs to teach the ground school portion)---and now they are short staffed to handle a large training cycle. Also, many of our sims have been contracted out to other airlines to make money. Another example of jumping over a dollar to make a penny. Assuming we keep the same number of planes in our fleet for awhile (4 fleet types leave within 4 years)---there could be a jump in recalls. Also, flying larger planes with more junior pilots--(like a 5th year guy flying a 767 instead of a 7 year guy who just moved up anyway) saves the company in overall costs. Guys over 12 years longevity are paid max pay---and with furloughs still out, we have more senior guys flying the smaller equipment as well. That changes when guys retire from the top.

Bye Bye--General Lee

DALPA is against this idea and will not let it happen. What we are hearing is, Delta will "guarantee" the retirement of those who would have gone early but now choose to stay or change the early retirement notice to something like 120 days, as opposed to 24 hours.

It sets a very bad precedent to to have non Delta pilots flying Delta airplanes. I would be shocked if this were to happen.

NYR (It looks like the Rangers will not have a loosing record this year;) )

Last edited:
I probably have it wrong. I thought they would guarantee particular retirements for a few months and then let them go. Hmmmm.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
I probably have it wrong. I thought they would guarantee particular retirements for a few months and then let them go. Hmmmm.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Hey General,

I just remember hearing some MEC types say it would set a hugely bad precedent. Example, ten years from now we are short 777 captains, Delta drags feet and says..."we will have to park them, unless you let us contract out Emerites pilots to fly them". Non ALPA and non Delta pilots flying our planes is bad juju.

Regards,

NYR

another option I heard they are considering is to sign a side letter for a larger lump sum if you give 90 or 120 days notice. For example, right now a pilot can take 50% of the value of his retirement as a lump sum (how this is calculated I don't exactly know). The side letter would say those who give 90 days notice could get 55% of the value in a lump sum. FWIW

AMRCostUnit said:
Here is what I am hearing. Delta is considering an offer to "contract" back the guys that just retired in an effort to keep the wide-body fleet running while training catches up.

Gets more interesting every day.

If they try this they might suddenly be short on FO's unless there are some scraps for the junior guys.

Unit
Sorry to get off track, 20 yr FO?

I thought the problem was coming up with the cash to pay the lump sum, not having enough pilots to fly. I bet your furloughed pilots won't care for contracting out the heavy flying to retired pilots. They might as well just contract it out to Comair, it would cost less.

Sounds like Dalpa won't agree to either.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back