• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental to Furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look guys, I know the 65 change is an emotional topic. I myself, like many others are being affected by it. This law change did not happen because a bunch of guys coming up on 60 wanted to take junior pilot jobs. This happened as a result of our government and the FAA bringing our retirement age in line with ICAO.

Bull&^%@. It would not have happened had the pro age 65 guys not caused a stink. Thus the name of the law that allowed it. These guys are selfish, whining, arrogant self serving pricks and should be treated as such.

Bull&^%@. It would not have happened had the pro age 65 guys not caused a stink. Thus the name of the law that allowed it. These guys are selfish, whining, arrogant self serving pricks and should be treated as such.

Oh that makes sense. NOT! The age 65 guys are a minority. This rule change came about because the politicians and the FAA decided to join the rest of the world and make 65 the new retirement age. And to say all the pro age 65 guys are selfish, whining, arrogant self serving pricks just shows how immature some of you are.

America is a democracy last time I checked. This wasn't a vote that was exclusive to pilots. It was voted in by elected representatives. That's the way it works here. It is law. It is not going to change. Age 65 is here to stay. You want to take it out on the 60+ captain that your flying with? Fine. Be an a$$. See how far that gets ya...

Get over it. I am 46 and being affected by them just like the rest of us but they have a right to be here. In many cases they were stripped of pensions and pay and have no choice. Ever think that some of them don't want to be here but are here any way out of nesessity. So who is really being the "self serving prick?"

America is a democracy last time I checked.

Actually America is a Republic.

Sure. You are splitting hairs here however.

A quote on the subject:

But the main Amendment that tipped the scales from the national government of the United States being a mere republic to being a true representative democracy was the often-overlooked Seventeenth Amendment, which took effect in 1913. Since 1913 the U.S. Senate has been elected directly by the voters, rather than being appointed by the state legislatures. That makes the national government democratic in form, as well as being a republic.

Wait till this same group of guys gets to 65. They'll want it changed to 70. By then there will be a super absorbent version of Depends.

Get over it. I am 46 and being affected by them just like the rest of us but they have a right to be here. In many cases they were stripped of pensions and pay and have no choice. Ever think that some of them don't want to be here but are here any way out of nesessity. So who is really being the "self serving prick?"

They have a "right" to be here? Really? There is a "right" to be an airline pilot? Please. They knew the rules when they started the game, and those rules were just fine with them when it meant they moved up the ladder. But when their time came, all of a sudden it wasn't fair. As far as money goes, that is what it was all about in the first place. And they had however long to save and plan, and they didn't. That is not my fault. So yes, they are whining self serving pricks, and always will be.

These guys who proposed and supported age 65 also worked during the most lucrative time in aviation history. Most were hired at way lower total times and age then most pilots today, therefore giving them plenty of time to save for retirement. The poor decissions and choices of a few should not dictate the outcome of future generations to come, but unfortunately it has. The pilots today will never have the opportunities these pilots had, and all of this was taken away while the ever redundant, ineffective, and obsolete battle cry of "Unity and Brotherhood" was coming from these self serving few.

I'm sorry all of this happened to you guys, but I hear everyday, "you made the choice to be a pilot." Well....

Every decission that has been made on airline contracts over the past decade has all been to protect the upper ten percent of seniority lists. The rest have been terminated, furloughed, pushed back, downgraded, flow back.......but you guys kept your seats.

Anytime one of the post age 60 guys cries "Unity, Brotherhood" Look him in the eyes and tell him "Go F... himself, nevermind you won't have to, he already knows what he did was wrong, and selfish.

But they don't care

They have a "right" to be here? Really? There is a "right" to be an airline pilot? Please. They knew the rules when they started the game, and those rules were just fine with them when it meant they moved up the ladder. But when their time came, all of a sudden it wasn't fair. As far as money goes, that is what it was all about in the first place. And they had however long to save and plan, and they didn't. That is not my fault. So yes, they are whining self serving pricks, and always will be.

You still don't get it. In case you have been under a rock the last 7 years it's a new world out there. "They" would have been happy to retire if they could have done so with dignity and a bit of security. Due to realities beyond their,my and your control many of them are forced to stay for financial reasons. They planned for what was then the norm but that was taken away, not their fault. Suck it up like the rest of us and press on.

Latest resources

Back