Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental pilots/post merger.....ALPA pins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is your tie so small that you cannot fit two pins. How about sticking the ALPA pin on your id badge. Or just walk around looking like the ones that crossed our picket line. I and most of my fellow UAL pilots are fullt aware that on the CO side there are ALPA pin wearing picket line crossers. We, and anyone else who care know who they are.

It's funny you say that. I don't even need a scab list or Employee number to pick out a scab from the crowd. There is a certain cheapness or sleaziness that they exude as a general population. They tend to be the nervous, unkempt types, that have a hard time looking a fellow pilot in the eye. Most, I have noticed, don't wear an ALPA pin. Many wear a company years of service pin where the ALPA pin would normally be worn. This to me indicates a die hard company man that is proud to flaunt when he was hired with the airline, something I wouldn't be proud of if I were them. There is roughly 500 of them left here at CAL, but they sure do stick out like a sore thumb! I believe the youngest scab is 49 years old, so unfortunately it looks like it will be another 16 years before we are scab free.

GMAFB. Sometimes I wear my military jet on my tie as opposed to my ALPA pin. Am I a scab? I didn't even know what a scab was until I got hired @ CAL (since I was instead deploying left and right flying fighters in the AD AF). You've got to get over this pin bullsh*t. Any scab can wear 10 ALPA pins but he's still a scab (and some do today). This relationship between a pin and being a scab is completely illogical.
Because you wear a military jet pin doesn't mean you were in the military, either. Perhaps you are a military hobbyist.

But there are certain assumptions made when you do wear a military jet pin: that you were in the military, that you flew jets, that you are proud of this, that you hold a kinship with those who did what you did, and that in a pinch you would support them as they would you.

Try applying this reasoning to the ALPA pin.

[/U][/B]
It's funny you say that. I don't even need a scab list or Employee number to pick out a scab from the crowd. There is a certain cheapness or sleaziness that they exude as a general population. They tend to be the nervous, unkempt types, that have a hard time looking a fellow pilot in the eye. Most, I have noticed, don't wear an ALPA pin. Many wear a company years of service pin where the ALPA pin would normally be worn. This to me indicates a die hard company man that is proud to flaunt when he was hired with the airline, something I wouldn't be proud of if I were them. There is roughly 500 of them left here at CAL, but they sure do stick out like a sore thumb! I believe the youngest scab is 49 years old, so unfortunately it looks like it will be another 16 years before we are scab free.
Actually, my buddy just flew with one who was born in 1963. Probably too fat to make it to 60 much less 65.

Is your tie so small that you cannot fit two pins. How about sticking the ALPA pin on your id badge. Or just walk around looking like the ones that crossed our picket line. I and most of my fellow UAL pilots are fullt aware that on the CO side there are ALPA pin wearing picket line crossers. We, and anyone else who care know who they are.

Yep, you got me...because I don't have my alpa pin on my tie that day I would most certainly look like a scab that crossed the picket line in 1983. Oh wait, I'm friggin 33 years old and was born in 1977. So, if I did cross the picket line, I would have been 6 and just finishing 1st grade. From what I remember, I was playing on the playground that year and not employed with Continental. Maybe you can do a background check if you don't believe me.

Try consulting a list or better yet - why don't you use some basic reasoning...if a dude looks like he's in his late 20's to early 30's, he probably isn't a scab from '83. I know, I know...the logic is just unbelievable here.

Because you wear a military jet pin doesn't mean you were in the military, either. Perhaps you are a military hobbyist.

But there are certain assumptions made when you do wear a military jet pin: that you were in the military, that you flew jets, that you are proud of this, that you hold a kinship with those who did what you did, and that in a pinch you would support them as they would you.

Try applying this reasoning to the ALPA pin.

I don't disagree with your logic. However, here's some logic as well. If a person is curious about another's background (i.e. if he flew jets in the military) you casually ask him "hey, did you fly in the military?" He'll either respond yes or no. If you're curious whether he was employed @ CAL in '83 and not wearing an alpa pin, you can casually ask as well. And the fact I'm in my early 30's is probably a dead giveaway as to whether I ever crossed a picket line in '83, much less had anything to do with the airlines (ref earlier post).

Reasoning and logic are such amazing tools.

P.S. If we ever fly together, you'll see I'm pretty laid back. As a matter of fact I could care less what your background is or where you came from (not that I don't mind chatting about it...or anything to do with hot chicks...but of course I digress), but I don't hold any preconcieved notions one way or another. All I care about is getting from point A to point B safely, getting along, and getting home once the trip is done. That's about it.

Last edited:
Yep, you got me...because I don't have my alpa pin on my tie that day I would most certainly look like a scab that crossed the picket line in 1983. Oh wait, I'm friggin 33 years old and was born in 1977. So, if I did cross the picket line, I would have been 6 and just finishing 1st grade. From what I remember, I was playing on the playground that year and not employed with Continental. Maybe you can do a background check if you don't believe me.

Try consulting a list or better yet - why don't you use some basic reasoning...if a dude looks like he's in his late 20's to early 30's, he probably isn't a scab from '83. I know, I know...the logic is just unbelievable here.

It's not just about wether or not you are or were a picket line crosser. It is about wether you choose to show you fellow pilots you are with them or do you choose to show management that the pilot group may be fragmented and not unified. You choose the path you want to go down. One would think that a military guy would clearly understand the importance of sticking together.

In closing. no sir your logic is twisted.

It's not just about wether or not you are or were a picket line crosser. It is about wether you choose to show you fellow pilots you are with them or do you choose to show management that the pilot group may be fragmented and not unified. You choose the path you want to go down. One would think that a military guy would clearly understand the importance of sticking together.

In closing. no sir your logic is twisted.

I'm certainly not with management. All I try to do is be professional, humble, and courteous. You are free to believe whatever you'd like about me. And as long as a fellow pilot was unfairly accused by management (or anyone else for that matter) and he was acting in good faith, I'd be glad to have his back...and that's whether I had an alpa pin on my tie or not.

Latest resources

Back