Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental pilots/post merger.....ALPA pins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Question/statement for the Continental pilots. Over here on the UAL side of the operation, almost all of us (except out scabs and other non-members) wear our ALPA pin on our tie. In fact, if one sees a United pilot not wearing an ALPA pin on their tie, it's very likely he is a scab or non-member. Do you guys do the same?

Yes. ....

You're not being consistent. You previously asked me how long we should cling to ancient history, when I brought up Frontier. And you chastized me about Prater's more recent misdealings. You want to absolve that behavior but think it's going to be a positive thing when the new UAL comes together and CAL scabs can get teased more?! You just don't get it....
You have vaild points. No doubt the UAL guys have been real tools at times.... but you seem to want to open old issues and get some sort of resolution... how? Why?

Prater campaigned for seniority other than what one might be entitled to outside the collective bargaining process. It's exactly what scabs did. I assure you that's exactly how he would have characterizeed it if it negatively effected him. Anyone who knew him as a junior member would not disagree. Period.
Fine. Now what?

The UAL strike was not the "win" you (especially someone like you) should be thinking it was. It was a battle won for UAL, but a war lost for ALPA. The strike required a lot of active restraint on the part of the FAL pilots. There was a standing offer from UAL mgt. Not one FAL pilot crossed. Not one. Shortly thereafter UAL took the FAL gates and planes and dropped every pilot in what was clearly a scenario where some form of merger policy should have applied. Merger policy died. ALPA's credibility as a union was in the toilet. And in place of any questioning of ALPA's new greed imperative the surviving members rallied around their ALPA pin with artificial zeal.
Maybe.

Think about this: A greed imperative started at UAL with the screwing of the FAL guys. It was those junior UAL pilots who insisted they be dropped that are now senior UAL. ALPA's own merger policy is probably going to put every single one of those pilots junior to at least 75% of the guys Lorenzo hired at CAL. Additionally, a great deal of them are going to end up junior to FAL pilots.
Karma's a bitch?

If you look closely at the situation, CAL is the group that has held on to the correct union principles. The ALPA pin is important to me and most CAL pilots. But we don't run with that in place of trying to do good/fair union work. Our efforts have been at protections and providing balanced pay and benefits. That's why our scope is in place and we have so few furloughed. UAL ALPA has done the opposite. They have leveraged everything in an effort to keep the most senior the most well paid. Clearly to a fault when you look at how many are furloughed.
Your scope is in place and that is commendable. But your work rules suck. Then again UALs work rules are good but that is why there are 1437 on the street.

Very valid in that UAL has sold out scope and the junior pilots to keep the gravy at the top. It is shameful.

You're too wordy and I'm too busy. If your reply is some non-answer Rez-speak I'm no longer interested in chatting. Think about the situation and ask yourself if you really know who the CAL pilots are. While guys like you talk about a union pin, we [CAL ALPA] have been acting like a union should.....
Let's not go down this path.. rather.. both UAL and CAL bring excellent union traits to the table.. and bad ones... an excellent opportunity to shun the bad traits and create an excellent labor group..... I am in.

Rez never gives an answer, but gives a "provide your union a volunteer", response....

Give the regionals they're own union to work with, it will be better for all!

Question/statement for the Continental pilots. Over here on the UAL side of the operation, almost all of us (except out scabs and other non-members) wear our ALPA pin on our tie. In fact, if one sees a United pilot not wearing an ALPA pin on their tie, it's very likely he is a scab or non-member. Do you guys do the same?
Yes. .......

In any case this merger could be a war. As a friend once told me, "There are more pilots sueing ALPA than Lorenzo".

Latest resources

Back