Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Pilots Offering 70-seat Scope?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There goes the rest of the CAL pilot group..
Thank you calfo.. im 100% with you..

We just all have to remember that contract 2002 is taking a decade to go away (and that's why mngmt is still fighting hard to hang on to it as long as they can).. Whatever we vote in now will be around for another decade. Let's be smart on this one guys..

I'm still waiting for the scope violations to stop...saw another one DFW to IAH last week. Enough already.

Just FYI for you hard-liners:

United believes that they can already add as many 70-seaters as they need under United scope and can simply ignore any complaints from the pilots. Since the code will be a UA code anyway, they don't feel that Continental's scope language is relevant.

I find that hard to believe, but can't come up with any reason they can't just add unlimited 70's and say it fits under the United clause. What prevents them from doing this?

You're right bvt.. what prevents it is us shutting the place down and walking out if it comes to that. Without the pilots 'making nice' for the company, they will never achieve their so much advertised sinergies. That means possible pressure on mngmt from the stock holders to maybe finally change their tactics.

CAL has become a joke to work at nowadays..
Jeff's pure disrespect for the pilots and pure ignorance for leading this company in good direction just amazes me. He had the opportunity to seize the deal flawlessly by copying Anderson at Delta. No, his ego was too big and now we plummeted to being near the bottom when it comes to morale and productivity (look at our on-time and sick calls). His biggest dirty trick with the FAs was threatening them with profit sharing to sign the contract and at the same time making parties with dollar sign cup cakes.. (but unfortunatelly it worked and they signed it).

We're starting to lose the quality of our service. We already cut off free food, charge for exit row seats, overcharge for TVs (that not too many buy).. His latest.. cut off free peanuts and pretzels to save $2.5 million annually.. really? That's pocket change (especially comparing to what he could save by having better labor relationships)! As silly as it may sound, pax valued having those free pretzels. I know because i've asked this many, many FAs what they thought of the idea, but of course Jeff never did (another mistake he does by never coming down to the 'floor' to see how this airline really runs).
Looks like we're back to counting beans and tripping over quarters to pick up pennys.

This company is changing so much on daily basis (not for better either). I really don't think there is a whole lot of morale left here for pilots to want to do anything 100% anymore. It's nothing personal, just simple management 101- treat your work force like crap and you'll get the same in return.. Sad, but that's Jeffs ignorant way..

Welcome to new Continental :)

Last edited:
You're right bvt.. what prevents it is us shutting the place down and walking out if it comes to that.

And do what? What is a 40, 45 or 50 year old pilot going to go do to make 100k/year? I always wonder what the late middle aged pilot back up plan is. I know internet pilots all have 300k a year side gigs, but what is the average pilot with a wife and kids going to do? Burn the place down? I don't think so. It has always seemed as such an empty threat, and I think mgt knows this.

So do what.. do nothing and keep working for the most profitable major out there with the worst working conditions (worse than even many commuters out there - EXAMPLE: our company training is considered a day off.. Days rolled and RES callout changed without pay.. Point me an airline that has that in their contract)??

Fyi Spirit got released to a strike.. that was big news not only for them but for the majors also- that paved the way for others to at least get a chance for strike release as well. Management knows that too.

Empty threats? I don't think so.. Record high sick calls in December 2010.. Wait till summer 2011 rolls around. I have never seen CAL scheduling in such a turmoil for lack of crews.. That's empty threats to you?

Stay behind and keep asking "what about my kids, family.. how am i gonna put food on table.." Typical BS tales.. There are whimps at CAL too who will cross the line (again).. i agree, but they're not majority here anymore. I just hope you're not one of them..

So do what.. do nothing and keep working for the most profitable major out there with the worst working conditions (worse than even many commuters out there - EXAMPLE: our company training is considered a day off.. Days rolled and RES callout changed without pay.. Point me an airline that has that in their contract)??

Fyi Spirit got released to a strike.. that was big news not only for them but for the majors also- that paved the way for others to at least get a chance for strike release as well. Management knows that too.

Empty threats? I don't think so.. Record high sick calls in December 2010.. Wait till summer 2011 rolls around. I have never seen CAL scheduling in such a turmoil for lack of crews.. That's empty threats to you?

Stay behind and keep asking "what about my kids, family.. how am i gonna put food on table.." Typical BS tales.. There are whimps at CAL too who will cross the line (again).. i agree, but they're not majority here anymore. I just hope you're not one of them..

So, no plan "B" just playing the scab card. I suspect an extra packet of pretzels and a 3% raise and you will ratify whatever contract you will get. Without a transferable set of skills, you don't have much leverage.

Yes, that was quite the industry leading contract that the Spirit guys signed after going on strike. Good thing it is cheap to live in DTW.

Don't under estimate the resolve on the UA side. Remember we have had a first hand look at the ramifications of our scope clause. Over 1400 of our pilots are no longer here. I personally am in the top 60% of the list at UAL and have ZERO intention of relaxing any scope for a payraise. I assure you this is the mentality by the magority of the top 60 % and probably close to 100% of the bottom 40 %.

Had a UA guy in the jumpseat a while back....his EXACT WORDS "scope for CAL guys is gone....theres just no denying that"

Im just saying. Flame away

Latest resources

Back