Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Pilots Offering 70-seat Scope?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So do what.. do nothing and keep working for the most profitable major out there with the worst working conditions (worse than even many commuters out there - EXAMPLE: our company training is considered a day off.. Days rolled and RES callout changed without pay.. Point me an airline that has that in their contract)??

Fyi Spirit got released to a strike.. that was big news not only for them but for the majors also- that paved the way for others to at least get a chance for strike release as well. Management knows that too.

Empty threats? I don't think so.. Record high sick calls in December 2010.. Wait till summer 2011 rolls around. I have never seen CAL scheduling in such a turmoil for lack of crews.. That's empty threats to you?

Stay behind and keep asking "what about my kids, family.. how am i gonna put food on table.." Typical BS tales.. There are whimps at CAL too who will cross the line (again).. i agree, but they're not majority here anymore. I just hope you're not one of them..

The staffing is very poor on the 73 in IAH and EWR. Those are the only BES's with terrible staffing. I know how popular it is to claim that CAL has crew cancellations all the time but a 5 minute CCS tour will provide a different picture. Take a look at EWR 756 for the month.....after that, take a look at the reserve availability for the next few days and look at all the reserves with "0" line values for the month.

It's the 17th and the coverage for most of the month is at or above min with a bunch of guys who haven't flown at all this month. Looking at the awards for some of those guys and their YTD flying, EWR 756 is a really laid back gig at this point.

I'll stipulate that the 73 is not, but there is no company wide pilot crisis at the moment. The rsv 777 folks are also not sweating much to be near the airport on their reserve days....

I'm not sure what the master plan is or why the 756 staffing is so much better than the 73 but at this point life on those two fleets couldn't be much more opposite.

Last edited:
"I'm just saying"

WTF does that even mean? So you had some guy on your jumpseat who says..............

This place is full of idiots and trolls. I'll see the real UAL/CAL guys on the picket line. Oh, how will I survive? It's called living way below your means, a working spouse, 8 months of living expenses cash, and ready to do what it takes to make it better.

756 isn't the work horse at CAL, the 737 is.. And the 737 is staffed so horribly that they're taking away agressive pickups from RES guys just to cover their crap, besides rolling days off and changing long call to short (because of our contract- at no cost of course)..

You may be right on the 756 life for now, but it will all change this summer.. We will see if you like your 18day in a row work days (because of your legal 24hr rest in Europe).. and if you like your 10days off when you have training (because of training not being treated as duty day)..
You don't seem to mind the comfortable 'rest seat' in the back and the pathetic int'l $2 per diem..

Well if you're ok with that that's fine, but im not and i simply won't stand for this s%it even if it takes me getting a job at some damn WallMart for a couple months.. I didn't come to CAL to spend the rest of my career with work rules worse than most commuters out there and with some of the highest management salaries in the airline industry (look at the statistics).

Last edited:
BVT1151 is not totally wrong. They have been discussing the allowance of a ratio between mainiline and the regionals. They know they cant park them so the idea is to limit their growth. Dont believe me CAL guys? Call the lead negotiator and ask. Call Pierce and ask. He will not devulge any of it. Oh and to you UAL guys watch Wendy. She is not as hardcore as you might think. I feel a decert effort on the horizon soon. About the same time that they come out with the crappy TA. I will be on the forefront of that when it happens...

I normally dont post on here anymore. I just read. I wish it was just a rumor. Is it going to make it onto our TA? I hope not. I do know it is being discussed.

Had a UA guy in the jumpseat a while back....his EXACT WORDS "scope for CAL guys is gone....theres just no denying that"

Im just saying. Flame away

1. You have already flamed away so I will leave that to you.

2. "you had a guy" is about as weak as it gets. Really one guy on a jumpseat and you have it all figured out. GMAFB

BVT1151 is not totally wrong. They have been discussing the allowance of a ratio between mainiline and the regionals. They know they cant park them so the idea is to limit their growth. Dont believe me CAL guys? Call the lead negotiator and ask. Call Pierce and ask. He will not devulge any of it. Oh and to you UAL guys watch Wendy. She is not as hardcore as you might think. I feel a decert effort on the horizon soon. About the same time that they come out with the crappy TA. I will be on the forefront of that when it happens...

I normally dont post on here anymore. I just read. I wish it was just a rumor. Is it going to make it onto our TA? I hope not. I do know it is being discussed.

You are probably correct. There will be no agreement where the company agrees to park all of the 70 seaters. That is not realistic. There will be a ratio of some sort either hulls or hours and we will move on.

I didn't come to CAL to spend the rest of my career with work rules worse than most commuters out there and with some of the highest management salaries in the airline industry (look at the statistics).

This sums up the thoughts of just about everyone hired since 2005.

A theory to digest: When the greedy nature of senior pilots sells out the future of their succeeding youth generations, that generation morphs their political and personal agendas to to the benefit of their recognized reality.

No flamebait here but I think folks are getting this idea from what the CAL ALPA Pres said recently. He said quote, "there will probably be provisions made for 70 seat flying in the next contract." (he was referring to this flying being done by the regionals and not UAL/CAL and was making this remark as his own opinion.)

Now we all can speculate what was meant by this remark.

No flamebait here but I think folks are getting this idea from what the CAL ALPA Pres said recently. He said quote, "there will probably be provisions made for 70 seat flying in the next contract." (he was referring to this flying being done by the regionals and not UAL/CAL and was making this remark as his own opinion.)

Now we all can speculate what was meant by this remark.

Without getting deeper into this can your source this please? BTW who is the CAL ALPA President? Whoever he/she is their job title must not carry any power. Perhaps you mean the MEC Chairman whose name is Jay Pierce. There now go do the rest of your home work RJ Capt. This thread is doing an A+ job of proving the effectiveness of the game of telephone.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back