Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Pilots Offering 70-seat Scope?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was told by a former exJet intern that ASA is hiring 80 a month for exJet side and that people will be going to training in DFW to give IAH breathing room. Hopefully some of these 80 are coming to ASA pronto!

Pretty sure the 70 seat jets weren't put there because xjet didn't have "breathing room".

Last edited:
Yo homeslice, let me break it down fo ya. The CAL/UAL crew are going to flex, to keep the flow. We tired of the not so fresh job takin going down. We be getting jacked all over this mo fo. We going to bring some flava to this round. The day of the regional hook up be over. Dat be the 411 BOUUUUUY.

Excellent u duh bad dude yeh boyyyyy

I HIGHLY DOUBT we will be snookered into giving up the 70 seat scope.

You already have.

United has unlimited 70's, and United WILL be adding 70's this summer, with or without the Continental pilots' approval.

Before you jump all over this calling it flame bait, take a second to think about it. What can the pilots do?

ALPA thinks they won the arbitration, but in actuality, Smisek got everything he wanted. Smisek just destroyed the Continental scope clause simply by renaming flights!

Will you strike? I doubt it. It'll take years for that to happen, and even then the chance that the president will allow the world's largest airline to shut down is minimal.

This is why ALPA needs to act now. Don't be caught off guard when United issues their large 70-seat RFP this summer. At the very least, make sure your reps know of the threat from United to add these aircraft so you can call back in August and say "I told you so."

All I ask is that United and Continental pilots ask themselves why Smisek can't just add 70's at will. I assure you they can, they will, and they already are.

You already have.

United has unlimited 70's, and United WILL be adding 70's this summer, with or without the Continental pilots' approval.

Before you jump all over this calling it flame bait, take a second to think about it. What can the pilots do?

ALPA thinks they won the arbitration, but in actuality, Smisek got everything he wanted. Smisek just destroyed the Continental scope clause simply by renaming flights!

Will you strike? I doubt it. It'll take years for that to happen, and even then the chance that the president will allow the world's largest airline to shut down is minimal.

This is why ALPA needs to act now. Don't be caught off guard when United issues their large 70-seat RFP this summer. At the very least, make sure your reps know of the threat from United to add these aircraft so you can call back in August and say "I told you so."

All I ask is that United and Continental pilots ask themselves why Smisek can't just add 70's at will. I assure you they can, they will, and they already are.

Spoken like a teen who does not know our contract. They are already at 100% of our mainline block hours or very very close that's why they can't add any more RJ's you fool. I can f'ing guarantee you that if the company so much as twitches and trys violate this clause they will be sued into the stone age. Hey punk...."I told you so" nothing but the facts.

Spoken like a teen who does not know our contract. They are already at 100% of our mainline block hours or very very close that's why they can't add any more RJ's you fool. I can f'ing guarantee you that if the company so much as twitches and trys violate this clause they will be sued into the stone age. Hey punk...."I told you so" nothing but the facts.

You let me know how that "sued into the stone age" thing works you. Problem is, they won't be violating your scope clause. They'll legally be placing new 70-seaters under the united scope clause while you're still celebrating the "victory" of not stopping a single 70-seat jet into your hub because of an arbitrary flight name change. You're telling me your entire defence is that you'll grieve it? Wow.

I haven't heard a single possible defense other than "Spoken like a teen who does not know our contract." That should make the logically-minded pilot stop and question what ALPA really can do to prevent Smisek from just taking scope. Sounds to me like the MEC knows they don't have any legal grounds to keep united's unlimited 70 scope from superseding the cal scope clause so they're at least trying to negotiate something out of it. Meanwhile they can't tell you because it would cause an uprising within the ranks. Sure would be much easier to sit back and let the 70-seat rfp happen, then make a good show of an inevitably ineffective grievance to keep you happy enough that they get to keep their jobs. Meanwhile, not a single 70-seater even slows down on it's way to replacing those 737-500's.

Smisek just destroyed the Continental scope clause simply by renaming flights!

I think I know where you're coming from, and I will certainly call my reps about the 70 seat RFP this summer, but Smisek hasn't destryed CAL's scope. Not yet, he's going to keep trying. The next thing he's going to do is violate UAL's total block hour scope. He's going to do bigger than Dallas just to see you guys have to take him to a grievance or arbitration. You guys need to be hype aware of where they are on that and be ready to defend it.

I think I know where you're coming from, and I will certainly call my reps about the 70 seat RFP this summer, but Smisek hasn't destryed CAL's scope. Not yet, he's going to keep trying. The next thing he's going to do is violate UAL's total block hour scope. He's going to do bigger than Dallas just to see you guys have to take him to a grievance or arbitration. You guys need to be hype aware of where they are on that and be ready to defend it.

Very fair, and very well said.

The teen has more of a point than you realize. What happens when UAL gets a SOC? Mainline block hours now increase which gives the company the ability to increase express block hours. I hope more of our guys realize this before it's too late. We need a contract or some other protections in place before the SOC is issued.

Latest resources

Back