Continental loses captain over colleague's alcohol allegation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alamanach said:
For all we know, that confrontation may have already taken place. I think we would all hope that it did; it'd be a shame to see a guy lose his job, possibly ruin his career, over a one-time lapse in judgement. Some judicious forgiveness keeps the world going round.

But at the same time, if the pilot in question really is a hopeless screw-up (and this is possible too), then any one of us probably would have blown the whistle on him. There are some people who shouldn't be flying airliners.

We don't have enough information to say whether this colleague did the right thing; it could go either way. Some of you guys on this thread are really tearing into each other, and I don't know why.

I agree if that confrontation did take place, then to heck with him.

bizicmo said:
If you show up to work and you fail a breath alcohol test. What does that make you if your not drunk?
"Your" drunk.

Read the regulation that was violated and tell me whether or not the word drunk is in the regulation.

OrionFE said:
You're new to this aviation thing, are'nt you? You might want to back up a bit from all those paints you're using to paint your pretty little pictures. Hey, you remember the NWA crash in Detroit years ago......probably not!
I was digging airplanes out of the ocean when you were still pooping yellow...and it is aren't.

FN FAL said:
"Your" drunk.

Read the regulation that was violated and tell me whether or not the word drunk is in the regulation.

From the story you posted it reads, "A breath alcohol test was administered and the pilot, tested positive above the legal limit for pilots."

By testing above the legal limit that legally makes him drunk.

Drunk has many definitions one being, "Excessive or habitual indulgence in alcoholic liquor." Dictionary.com

If one test above the legal limits that could be labeled, excessive indulgence in alcoholic liquor.

ReportCanoa said:
Nice job by the FO or whomever. I guess trying to get the guy to call in sick and following up with pro standards would have been too much work.
I guess that not drinking before your flight and not showing up to work above the legal limit would have been too much to ask from the guy. I dont feel bad for him one bit.

i

Wow, you guys jump to conclusions fast. Obviously, it's a very emotional topic. We've all made mistakes, and all of us have known people who are quick to tattle, and others who would stand by their "colleagues" or "friends" no matter what.

I have learned the hard way---a couple of times. I am that good guy, and have taken some serious hits by taking blame for others, or covering up for them. Some of those people could not care less about what I did, and are thankful only for themselves, that they got off the hook.

I ask you to consider a question I have been asking of myself more and more since being involved in situations such as this:
What kind of person would put *ME* into such an awkward, career-threatening, credibility-threatening situation?

I don't put others in such positions. I take responsibility for my actions, and would never put someone else's career on the line by trying to cover my own ass. So why should I take that risk for someone else that completely disregards the possible ramifications to me? He better have a VERY good reason for it, or do exactly what I tell him to do to save his career, or be my mom. Most likely he is not my mom, and does not have a good reason for putting my career at risk. That leaves only one option: him doing EXACTLY what I say. If I tell him to go home, he better go home, and not fight me on it, or come up with some other scheme to save his butt.

It’s the Golden Rule. It goes both ways, and this has to be weighed in choosing what you do. This stuff is gut-wrenching to me, when I get put into messed up situations (by other people mind you, not of my own errant behavior) like this.

So let’s find out some more info before jumping all over the “colleague” who told.

Kingsize-

Take it a step further. When you suspect your fellow pilot of doing something dangerous (say drinking) to himself, the pilot group or the profession, you pull him aside and say. I strongly suggests you call in sick. Other wise I take the step of safety. The choice is yours. Then in three days I'll contact the HIMS Chairman and follow up that you've already contacted him. If you haven't contact him I'll call the chief pilot. Again the choice is yours.

A little dramtic and cheesy, but you give the guy plenty of time to make his own choices, while at the same time you aren't covering up is poor behavior.

A once and in a career event....

bizicmo said:
From the story you posted it reads, "A breath alcohol test was administered and the pilot, tested positive above the legal limit for pilots."

By testing above the legal limit that legally makes him drunk.

Drunk has many definitions one being, "Excessive or habitual indulgence in alcoholic liquor." Dictionary.com

If one test above the legal limits that could be labeled, excessive indulgence in alcoholic liquor.

Nope, nope and nope. You couldn't find the word "drunk" in any regulation regarding this incident, could you?

With the current state of the industry, the Feds need to consider raising the limit, anyway!!!

Latest resources

Back