• Friendliest aviation community on the web

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
July 25, 2006, 11:24PM

Continental fires pilot, claiming he tested positive for alcohol use

Airline removed employee shortly before takeoff

By BILL HENSEL JR.
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle
A Continental Airlines pilot was fired Tuesday after the airline alleged he tested positive for alcohol only minutes before a takeoff Sunday.

The pilot was removed from duty after a colleague reported smelling alcohol on the captain's breath during a ride on an employee bus to the airport terminal, according to the Houston-based airline.

The co-worker notified Continental authorities after they arrived at the terminal. The pilot was removed from the aircraft prior to any passengers boarding, the carrier said.

A breath alcohol test was administered and the pilot "tested positive above the legal limit for pilots," Continental, which did not release additional details, said in a prepared statement.

The Air Line Pilots Association said Tuesday that limit is 0.04 percent, or half the limit for drunken driving in Texas and most other states.

Longtime federal regulations stipulate that a pilot cannot consume alcohol within eight hours of flying, although airlines can have more stringent regulations, association spokesman John Mazor said.

Pilots are in violation of the rules if they operate or attempt to operate an aircraft with a blood alcohol content of 0.04 percent or above, Mazor said. However, pilots who test between 0.02 and 0.04 are not allowed to fly, although it's not a violation, he said.

The Continental pilot had been scheduled to operate Flight 706 from George Bush Intercontinental Airport to Tampa, Fla. It would have been his first flight of the day, Continental said.

The airline did not release the name of the pilot, saying it was against policy. The carrier also said it has followed established procedures and notified the Federal Aviation Administration of the incident.

"Continental Airlines has a zero-tolerance policy for any alcohol or drug abuse," said a Continental spokesperson. "We terminated this pilot in adherence to our company policy."

Continental had said early Tuesday that the pilot was removed from duty and that it had launched its own internal investigation. Later, it confirmed that the pilot had been terminated.

The incident comes in the wake of one involving a co-pilot for Dallas-based Southwest Airlines on July 16. He was arrested minutes before takeoff, after a security screener reported that his breath smelled of alcohol.

Mazo said violations are rare, particularly when comparing the airline industry with other industries. He said the FAA requires airlines to randomly test employees in safety-sensitive positions every year.
///////

Nice job by the FO or whomever. I guess trying to get the guy to call in sick and following up with pro standards would have been too much work.

Last edited:
ReportCanoa said:
Nice job by the FO or whomever. I guess trying to get the guy to call in sick and following up with pro standards would have been too much work.

Just like it is too much work to not jump the conclusions I guess. It said colleague, not FO, a colleague be any number if people you work with on a given day.

And you do not know what happened prior to him advising the company.

ReportCanoa said:
I agree, Given the choice the Captain would have called in sick. Lets see call in sick or get fired, Hmm what to do...
This would be just the kind of mentality that all the SCABS in management like. All symptoms of a much bigger problem at CAL (scabs not alcohol)

It constantly amazes me how the FAA can have zero tolerance for alcohol, but will let you fly a 16 hour duty day. After 16 hours, your reaction time and judgement is worse than a guy just starting with a 0.4 blood alcohol content.

labbats said:
It constantly amazes me how the FAA can have zero tolerance for alcohol, but will let you fly a 16 hour duty day. After 16 hours, your reaction time and judgement is worse than a guy just starting with a 0.4 blood alcohol content.

The ATA has a more powerful lobby than the pilots unions. It's that simple.

wmuflyguy said:
It said colleague, not FO, a colleague be any number if people you work with on a given day.
A colleague would be another captain, not an understudy or apprentice like an FO. An FO is more like a "pro·té·gé" than a "colleague".

Main Entry: pro·té·gé

Pronunciation: 'prO-t&-"zhA, "prO-t&-'
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from past participle of protéger to protect, from Middle French, from Latin protegere
: one who is protected or trained or whose career is furthered by a person of experience, prominence, or influence

Latest resources

Back