• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Congrat's The goose is cooked!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Probelm is pay is disapperaring and so is the quality of life in every contract out there.

I know why your friend is looking outside.

Even though you may only have 8 days a month off at a regular job you're home every night, your wife and kids actually know who you are and all those birthdays and events in your childrens lifes you can be at. Sounds like your friend has figured out where the true quality in life is.

Pilots are addicts. Thats why we take time away from home to commute across the country so we can fly for 18 days a month with pilots and flight attendants that we have never met before, who we don't enjoy being around because so many are waiting to stab each another in the back, so on layovers we hang out alone because most of the people you fly with are just not that friendly.

Home, family and friends. Thats were the true quality lies, through the friendships and comaraderie that are built by being together every day of your life.

I agree, thats why I got out in April. Working at a University in Pittsburgh and I don't see myself going back. I thought I would really miss the flying but I don't. I think the last few years really took the love of it out of me.

I agree, thats why I got out in April. Working at a University in Pittsburgh and I don't see myself going back. I thought I would really miss the flying but I don't. I think the last few years really took the love of it out of me.

ttuite, where did you work last? It looks like you have worked at a few places with your profile......

I started my leave in May...I miss the flying. But I don't miss being paid very little, being treated bad by my employer, and worrying about reduced flying and how it's going to destroy my schedule. A regular job is nice, predictable, and I don't have that depression that comes when I know I have to leave my family.

And yet, I still think about going back to the flying job. Pretty sick! Calling it an addiction pretty much sums it up.

I started my leave in May...I miss the flying. But I don't miss being paid very little, being treated bad by my employer, and worrying about reduced flying and how it's going to destroy my schedule. A regular job is nice, predictable, and I don't have that depression that comes when I know I have to leave my family.

And yet, I still think about going back to the flying job. Pretty sick! Calling it an addiction pretty much sums it up.

I miss it too. But just like recovering alcholics, oh he--, anyone with an addiction that is bad for you, we all miss it and want it in our lives!

I won't argue the fact that if you live in base it is a mcuh better job and 12 days off min ain't bad either. If you commute like I did it adds a whole layer of degradation into your home life.

But think about it, you have a least 4 times in your career where your qualtiy of life is going to suck for a few years at a time and thats provided you don't get furloughed or change airlines throught out your career due to your airline going out of buisiness.

The over riding problem is the pay gap between new hire and captain. If the payscale progression was more flat then it would not hurt so much to stat over again and financialy you would be farther ahead during your career.

Let's face it, flying a trubo prop is more challenging and difficult than a jet. Since the advent of the regional jet we fly into the same cities the majors do.

Can't strike or walk out with you! I'm no longer employed at an airline!

I only had one contract to vote on and that was at a regional. My vote was no but more than 50% of my fellow pilots voted yes for it. The CAL pilots will never walk.

All you have to do is look at where the manufacturing jobs have gone in this country, to the lowest cost provider. The same thing is happening to the airline industry here. Deny all u want, the fact still remains that most regional pilots won't strike. They need the job to get to that major job that will soon be just a shadow of it's former self, as far as a career goes.

P.S. Just curious> How many contracts have u voted no on?

1st vote NO! 2nd vote NO ! 3rd vote NO!!!! As long as TW and DW are alive I will vote no until we have a 100% increase in pay!! Why the hell are you telling me I am destroying your life if you don't work for an airline. By the way I will strike tommorrow without being told!!!! fucck alpa!!!!!

Last edited:
My old man sat me down one day and told (he's an ex CSEA Union leader - Civil Service Employee Association) that the guy who collects my trash has far better representation than I did at RAH. I thought about it, looked at my life at the company, recognized that being there and accepting it made me part of the problem, and quit. I miss the flying, but can't imagine putting up with that way of life ever again. You guys hold all the cards - but you have to put your money where your mouth is. There are other ways to make aliving. As long as you work the job for sub par rewards, you prove management right. Not a popular thought is it?

1st vote NO! 2nd vote NO ! 3rd vote NO!!!! As long as TW and DW are alive I will vote no until we have a 100% increase in pay!! Why the hell are you telling me I am destroying your life if you don't work for an airline. By the way I will strike tommorrow without being told!!!! fucck alpa!!!!!

Just for clarification. I said the quality of the career is being destroyed, not my life.

My old man sat me down one day and told (he's an ex CSEA Union leader - Civil Service Employee Association) that the guy who collects my trash has far better representation than I did at RAH. I
No comparison, the CSEA like all other public sector unions dealt with politicians, who have no worries about money, only public status. They roll over and play dead when dealing with unions. After all they can just force future administrations to raise taxes and the public has to pay. Promises of fantastic retirements, benefits for life are easy for the politician to give away. They do not have pay for them. Private sector unions have to deal with the reality of the market place, where being at a cost disadvantage could be the end of your business. BTW The public sectors is close Bk’ing many communities

Look, no matter how you cut it, if you work for sub standard wages, accept companies constantly violating the contract THEY agreed to...then unilaterally enforcing whatever part of that contract they want and you accept it, you're allowing them to get away with it (pardon the run on sentence). I remember opening up our old union rag and reading 3 pages of open grievances. Our union had no teeth, and if it did, it wasn't motivated to use them. Granted, airlines face overwhelming business challenges, but realistically, they continue to under price their services, overpay their top execs and find workers who are willing to work for very low wages and give up much of the stability in their personal lives to do the job. The moment that one part of that equation changes, the whole picture changes. People aren't going to give up flying as a mode of transportation. More pilots will lose their jobs in the coming months, no question there either, but at what point will pilot groups say enough is enough and stand up for themselves or just walk away from it? I love the job and miss it - don't get me wrong, but without real unity, there's very little hope for the future of this profession.

Sub-standard wage?

Look, no matter how you cut it, if you work for sub standard wages,
$95K/yr which I have seen batted around as a regional captain is in the upper 15% of US wage earners, is that sub-standard?

Latest resources

Back