• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Congrat's The goose is cooked!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While that's an economically sound theory YIP, we're talking a few percent increase in crew compensation which could be MORE than offset by taking 100% advantage of a mainline carrier's economies of scale with maintenance, parts, fuel, and other necessary vendor items.

Only known after it happens

While that's an economically sound theory YIP, we're talking a few percent increase in crew compensation which could be MORE than offset by taking 100% advantage of a mainline carrier's economies of scale with maintenance, parts, fuel, and other necessary vendor items.
You may be correct, but again it is the unintended consequences that are unknown at the beginning. For example, if the pilots get raises, will the FA's. Mech's and baggage smashers all stand by at their present pay rates? This along with a hose of other unknowns would make consolidation anything but a sure thing. Remember in the end, it is not management, gov't or unions that determine your pay, it is the consumer who elects to make an independent economic decision based in his/her best interest.

Last edited:
Ok we will vote down the next ********************ty contract that is ta'd. But then when we strike you have to walk out with us. That is the BIGGEST problem. You *************************'s keep flying instead of supporting the "INDUSTRY". We can't do it alone, it's not our fault you want your big house in your little bubble world to just sit back and blame us about your 10% paycut. Until mainline grows some balls and walks out with whatever regional trying for a deserving contract this will go on and on and on........Did Delta walk out with Comair? Mesaba stopped all flying when NWA struck. These are the facts. I don't care if mainline says you can't walk with the regional that strikes. If you don't, you have no right pointing fingers in who is destroying this career. You don't want to support the striking airline and you don't pay the mortgage for those on strike so what the hell are they suppose to do.

To all of you union boys who vote in lousy pay and rules at the regionals. Congrats!

Another low paying career is evolving in this country and you boys are making it happen. What was a great career is truning into a slave labor industry. Low pay, crappy work rules, time away from home and family.

Keep applying to Gojets, Colgan, Republic, Pinnacle,etc.

The I gotta fly at all costs so when I turn 50 and secure a captains seat at a major airline so I can finally earn a good salary is working out just fine.

How about this.

To all you union boys who gave up scope at the majors CONGRATS!

To all the RAH Riddle Diddles who see nothing wrong with flying the A320 for $3.50 an hr in the right seat because it gets your roc*& off.

To wonderful ALPA national that exists solely to make lanyards and a literary masterpiece known as the "Airline Pilot Magazine".

Oh and of course.......To Mesa, you suck!

As a regional pilot, way back when "I" voted to turn about 7 or 8 THOUSAND entry level positions at mainline into 7 or 8 THOUSAND career positons at the regional level, I was thinking....., OH, wait a tick. Actually, I wasn't in on that decision. Sorry, I guess you'll have to ask some ALPA/APA mainline pilots about that one.

When I started my regional job, we flew turbo props and SkyWest was a good place to spend 3-5 years. We all know the rest of the story.

What the heck, I was over six figures last year (to the left of the decimal point) as a non check airman line pilot averaging 16 days off a month. Right now, I wouldn't trade my quality of life for juniority at a legacy for anything. That may change in the future, but the people who make those decisions are the same ones who sold out 7 to 8 thousand mainline jobs (excepting the ones that took the lump some early retirement buy out.)

So ALPA/APA, let me know what you decide. My logbook is up to date. Change the game and I'll think about updating my scantron. For now I'll make the best of it.

And please, please stop with this nonsense that the people who's careers you shat upon for you own shortsighted reasons are dragging this profession down. That decision rests with you. I don't have a vote on scope, but I do need to feed my family.

Your have a good job. Skywest learned a lot from Delta. Treat your people well and they will not vote a union in.

Problem is, all the good regional jobs have started to slip backwards due to the competitive pressures brought on by Colgan, Mesa, Go Jet, Republic etc,etc.

Even Skywest pilots who voted to fly 70 seat aircraft for 50 seat rates, oh I forgot no voting involved, are bringing the financial rewards of this career backwards. It's nice to see Skywest has not furloughed yet but there are many pilots not making the money they used to make at Skywest do to reduced flying. I believe it was Skywests undercutting of Expressjet that caused that pilot group to suffer wage loses.

Sooner or later you too at Skywest will feel the ravages of being undercut by those who think there will be a great paying job at the other end if they just get that experience as quick as they can no matter how little compensation they have to fly for to get it.

So answer my Question Lineflyer!!! Are mainline pilots going to walk with the regionals when they strike and try to better the profession????? That is the only way this will be fixed. Post all the bs you want about who is undercutting who you want, BUT WILL YOU WALKOUT WITH US???? If your answer is the contract doesn't allow us to, than STFU!!! ALPA won't help us, so we need the guys making the money we all want to make to be on our side, or your paycheck and flying will continue to shrink. It really is that simple!!! I have put my time in and deserve it as much as you, so the next time any regional strikes we all walk. They can't fire all of us. Hows that for a solution. mesa excluded. You get the point! Quit pointing fingers at guys that have the same goals as you with familys and bills to pay. By the way, the competitive pressures are from management and mainline pilots (especially mainline ALPO), not the regional guys. Think about that after a couple beers, OK!!! FuOf!!​

Last edited:
So answer my Question Lineflyer!!! Are mainline pilots going to walk with the regionals when they strike and try to better the profession????? That is the only way this will be fixed. Post all the bs you want about who is undercutting who you want, BUT WILL YOU WALKOUT WITH US???? If your answer is the contract doesn't allow us to, than STFU!!! ALPA won't help us, so we need the guys making the money we all want to make to be on our side, or your paycheck and flying will continue to shrink. It really is that simple!!! I have put my time in and deserve it as much as you, so the next time any regional strikes we all walk. They can't fire all of us. Hows that for a solution. mesa excluded. You get the point! Quit pointing fingers at guys that have the same goals as you with familys and bills to pay. By the way, the competitive pressures are from management and mainline pilots (especially mainline ALPO), not the regional guys. Think about that after a couple beers, OK!!! FuOf!!​

Can't strike or walk out with you! I'm no longer employed at an airline!

I only had one contract to vote on and that was at a regional. My vote was no but more than 50% of my fellow pilots voted yes for it. The CAL pilots will never walk.

All you have to do is look at where the manufacturing jobs have gone in this country, to the lowest cost provider. The same thing is happening to the airline industry here. Deny all u want, the fact still remains that most regional pilots won't strike. They need the job to get to that major job that will soon be just a shadow of it's former self, as far as a career goes.

P.S. Just curious> How many contracts have u voted no on?

Last edited:
and you will flying that 737-800 for 95k a year!

And loving life too! That's more than he will make and probably have weekends off. Much better than at mainline in the same amount of time. You can't just look at hourly pay anymore you have to look at quality of life. I have a good friend with 2 years at Delta who will make under 60K this year. He sits in a crash pad in NYC and gets his min days off. He is making at least 30K less than he was making at Mesa. Guess he is just still paying his dues. All I know is that he is seriously looking for a job outside of aviation. Delta is supposed to be one of the good ones! Imagine what it is like at CAL, UAL or USAir

And loving life too! That's more than he will make and probably have weekends off. Much better than at mainline in the same amount of time. You can't just look at hourly pay anymore you have to look at quality of life. I have a good friend with 2 years at Delta who will make under 60K this year. He sits in a crash pad in NYC and gets his min days off. He is making at least 30K less than he was making at Mesa. Guess he is just still paying his dues. All I know is that he is seriously looking for a job outside of aviation. Delta is supposed to be one of the good ones! Imagine what it is like at CAL, UAL or USAir

Don't have to imagine. I was at CAL. My job Captains set at Expressjet was way better than my first officer seat at CAL.

Just like the majors flying has shifted to the regionals because of cost, the flying is shifting from high cost regionals to low cost regionals now and those guys who keep voting in crappy contracts just to keep flying will eventually find all the contracts everywhere to be crappy once they have clmbed the ladder.

Probelm is pay is disapperaring and so is the quality of life in every contract out there.

I know why your friend is looking outside.

Even though you may only have 8 days a month off at a regular job you're home every night, your wife and kids actually know who you are and all those birthdays and events in your childrens lifes you can be at. Sounds like your friend has figured out where the true quality in life is.

Pilots are addicts. Thats why we take time away from home to commute across the country so we can fly for 18 days a month with pilots and flight attendants that we have never met before, who we don't enjoy being around because so many are waiting to stab each another in the back, so on layovers we hang out alone because most of the people you fly with are just not that friendly.

Home, family and friends. Thats were the true quality lies, through the friendships and comaraderie that are built by being together every day of your life.

Latest resources

Back